GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,124
1 members and 1,123 guests
No Members online

Old 12-16-2012, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Arkansas Rush!!

Hey all --
Just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about University of Arkansas recruitment and going through the process as a sophomore? I am transferring in the spring and plan on participating in rush next fall, and I'm wondering how competitive, what possible chances of getting a bid as a sophomore is, etc!
Thank you for taking the time to read!
Old 12-17-2012, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure others can give you more info about the process, but I did a rec this year for a girl who went through Fall 2012 recruitment at U of Arkansas. She rushed as a sophomore, pledged and was initiated in October. According to her, she's in love with her sorority and her sisters! I am not sure how the entire week went (smooth or rocky) but I know she was/is thrilled with the outcome.

You will need recs for every chapter at Arkansas. These are recommendations from sorority alumnae. (The alums can be from any school, though. They do not have to be alums of the sorority's Arkansas chapter.) Be asking women you know if they are sorority alumnae -- friends of your mom, your friends' mothers, former teachers, people you attend church with, work with,have babysat for, etc.

Best wishes to you!
Old 12-17-2012, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Something else to consider is 2 chapters colonized there last fall and they will probably be doing significant spring rushes. If you're open to that as an option, you can jump in sooner. This is NOT me telling you this option will be easier, just that might be an option. But chapter total at Arkansas is huge and the colonies took what I would consider a civil number of women. Therefore, they are smaller than the others. This is not a judgement, and frankly might be an easier move for you since you will be new to campus in the spring when most other women are pretty settled into their lives.

I'm not there, so I don't know if there's all kinds of chatter about the new sororities, but I would completely disregard anything negative. They're new and there are going to be growing pains but with a steady stream of great girls, they'll be at 100% in all categories soon, if not already.

Best of luck to you, and let us know what happens!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok thank yall so much! I plan to register with our local panhel alumnae and get more recs that way as well, but I was also wondering if maybe I could register with a Fayetteville panhel alumnae association as well (if they have one in the area) ....or would this not be a good idea or kind of weird? If anyone knows about this that would be great!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Use the one that is going to have the highest likelihood of someone knowing someone who knows you, which is probably your home town panhellenic. You want to use up all avenues for personal references first, then go to an alumnae panhellenic to fill in blanks. Thankfully (in this case only) there aren't that many sororities at Arkansas so it's not the massive process it is at the 15+ chapter campuses.

I can't imagine that if you are from Texas that you would have too much trouble finding recs for the sororities represented at Arkansas since they are pretty solidly Southern Sororities. Just start asking around. You can find lots of threads here about who to ask, who to expand your circle of influence, etc.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Arkansas recruitment is very, very competitive. Recs are essential, and should be from someone who knows you personally, if at all possible. Just as important will be your spring semester. Join at least one campus activity (2 would be better) to show that you plan to be an active participant on campus, and make connections. Talk to greek women in a non-stalkerish way. Having an insider pulling for you during recruitment is a significant advantage for any PNM. Get good grades, don't be a drunken embarrassment at parties, and have fun. While it is competitive, all of the chapters are excellent and the greek experience is more than worthwhile at Arkansas.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Ah great, thank you all so much! Definitely a big help already