GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,566
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, maximujnra3388
» Online Users: 2,176
3 members and 2,173 guests
indygphib

Old 01-04-2004, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What sorority are you a member of?
I prefer not to reveal my affiliation on these boards, because I am a member of the chapter's advisory board and am employed by the University of Alabama. I also tend to speak my mind candidly on the board and I wouldn't want someone from the University or from my chapter to identify me and be upset because of my posts. I know that many collegians and alums from UA read these boards, even though not too many of them post here. I hope you understand.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-05-2004, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok now I have a ? LOL Were there certain sororities back then were if you weren't Jewish you just couldn't join or did it just so happen that most of the girls that joined a certain sorority just happened to be Jewish. I thought religion wasn't supposed to be discussed during rush and I can't imagine not inviting back a well liked girl just b/c she may happen to be a different religion than me or some of my sisters. I guess I'm just confused...
Old 01-05-2004, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I mean, you have to put it into the context of the time... religion was much more of an issue throughout the country 50 years ago.

I think at most campuses it was just "understood" - I don't know if there were specific clauses preventing a Jewish woman from joining a Christian sorority, or vice versa, but I think it kind of went without saying. I also think that honeychile is right, that the Christian sororities were more likely to have Jewish women then the other way around - I think it's kind of comparable to NPC and NPHC sororities now. You are probably more likely to find an African American woman in an NPC sorority than a white woman in an NPHC sorority. ( Please don't get mad at me, it's just an observation!)
Old 01-05-2004, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bama_Alumna
I prefer not to reveal my affiliation on these boards, because I am a member of the chapter's advisory board and am employed by the University of Alabama. I also tend to speak my mind candidly on the board and I wouldn't want someone from the University or from my chapter to identify me and be upset because of my posts. I know that many collegians and alums from UA read these boards, even though not too many of them post here. I hope you understand.
It's not a problem
Old 01-05-2004, 02:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Back in the day, and this is pretty far back, Jewish women were not accepted into many of the NPC sororities. This is the reason groups such as Phi Sigma Sigma, Delta Phi Epsilon, AEPhi and SDT were started. This is why today, some folks refer to D Phi E as a Jewish sorority, when in actuality, we have no religious affiliation tied to our group. Phi Sigma Sigma is the same way. While we may have a predominately Jewish chapter at our older chapters, it stems from the fact that the Jewish women were not accepted by other sororities, and thus, joined D Phi E, and with legacies and all that, they remain largely Jewish.

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnsDGsweethrt
Ok now I have a ? LOL Were there certain sororities back then were if you weren't Jewish you just couldn't join or did it just so happen that most of the girls that joined a certain sorority just happened to be Jewish. I thought religion wasn't supposed to be discussed during rush and I can't imagine not inviting back a well liked girl just b/c she may happen to be a different religion than me or some of my sisters. I guess I'm just confused...
Old 01-05-2004, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

All of the GCers are so full of information! I knew this would be the place to go!
Old 01-05-2004, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Shadokat wrote just what I was thinking. Except that it really wasn't that far back. I had posted this story before. My mother's male friend attended college about 40 or 45 years ago. He was given a bid to a fraternity and pledged, but his name was not submitted to their national because he was Jewish. All the brothers liked him, but their national would not permit it. He said that things were even worse for the Catholic students. The world has changed since then, but it really wasn't that long ago. I am sure that this type of discrimination was even worse in 1909, 1913 and 1917 when AEPhi, Phi Sig, DPhiE, and SDT were founded.

I am still wondering if there were separate sorority rushes based on religion.

Last edited by Peaches-n-Cream; 01-05-2004 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Let us think of today! 01-05-04!

This is not Years ago, right?

This Today! Right?

Today, there is and has been crossing of Colors and Religions!

So what is the question again!

Do you want to throw in Triangle and Farmhouse into this Mix?

Is there any True Greek Organization that beleives in Race and Relegion?!

Just a question!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-05-2004, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a friend who goes to Florida who didn't go through formal rush because she only wants to be in a Jewish sorority, so she is COBing with one of them this semester, along with quite a few other girls. Apparently this is still a pretty common practice there.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't call it "common practice." There are only 2 traditionally Jewish sororities @ UF - DPhiE & AEPhi. It's not often that both of them don't make quota the same year...if it happens at all. (They always made quota when I was @ UF in the 80s).
Old 01-05-2004, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kdonline
I wouldn't call it "common practice." There are only 2 traditionally Jewish sororities @ UF - DPhiE & AEPhi. It's not often that both of them don't make quota the same year...if it happens at all. (They always made quota when I was @ UF in the 80s).
There are quite a few girls from her hometown (on Long Island) that are in these houses that told her she would have no problem getting in during the spring...so I was just going on what she told me.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

GeekyPenguin, I think that your friend should go through formal recruitment since the University of Florida is very competitive. Their DPhiE chapter is one of our strongest and is very successful in terms of reaching quota as kdonline mentioned. COB might not be an option.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
GeekyPenguin, I think that your friend should go through formal recruitment since the University of Florida is very competitive. Their DPhiE chapter is one of our strongest and is very successful in terms of reaching quota as kdonline mentioned. COB might not be an option.
She didn't want to go through formal as she will only be in a Jewish sorority - and as far as I know, she has already spoken with sisters in the houses she is interested in about COBing. I'll keep you all posted if she joins.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Let us think of today! 01-05-04!

This is not Years ago, right?

This Today! Right?

Today, there is and has been crossing of Colors and Religions!

So what is the question again!

Do you want to throw in Triangle and Farmhouse into this Mix?

Is there any True Greek Organization that beleives in Race and Relegion?!

Just a question!
Just like many other questions, Tom, I think people want to know what it was like. Some of us are intrigued by the history and evolution of things.

I can remember cleaning out some files when I was an active and finding that back in the early 1950's, my chapter wanted to extend a bid to an exchange student, but could not because she was Hindu. We found that fascinating!
Old 01-05-2004, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
She didn't want to go through formal as she will only be in a Jewish sorority - and as far as I know, she has already spoken with sisters in the houses she is interested in about COBing. I'll keep you all posted if she joins.
I wish her luck.