GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,595
Threads: 115,516
Welcome to our newest member, QJAJerrell
» Online Users: 1,523
3 members and 1,520 guests
Xidelt

Old 05-09-2024, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Probably some zumbedo who has no idea how many white people--like about half of my white students--come from desperately poor families, in which their parents don't give a crap about them or whether they succeed in school or even stay in. They are outperformed by most of our black and Hispanic students. These kids, no matter what we do to help, have no privilege because they are white. NONE.

One of ours was killed last night by his sorry and careless dad--one of my sons coached this student--and I am VERY salty about this.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-09-2024, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Probably some zumbedo who has no idea how many white people--like about half of my white students--come from desperately poor families, in which their parents don't give a crap about them or whether they succeed in school or even stay in. They are outperformed by most of our black and Hispanic students. These kids, no matter what we do to help, have no privilege because they are white. NONE.

One of ours was killed last night by his sorry and careless dad--one of my sons coached this student--and I am VERY salty about this.
I am sorry for the loss of your student, especially at the hands of their father. I’ve lost students in the past because of family violence, and ones that I’ve made abuse hotline calls for, and it is heart wrenching.

America has a major class divide problem too, that impacts all in or near poverty, like 85% of my students, and I assume many of your students as well. Many of my students or their families have also experienced prejudice and acts of violence due to being Black, Hispanic, or immigrants.

I do want to note that if any other poster used “zumbedo”/“zumbado” in reference to another poster in the thread or on Greek chat, you would likely chastise them, then lock the thread.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Call me dumb, but what’s a “zumbedo”/“zumbado”?
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 05-10-2024, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevinpiphi View Post
I I do want to note that if any other poster used “zumbedo”/“zumbado” in reference to another poster in the thread or on Greek chat, you would likely chastise them, then lock the thread.

I would not, seeing that "zumbedo" is a word that my brothers totally made up.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I would not, seeing that "zumbedo" is a word that my brothers totally made up.
Well they “totally made up” a term one letter off from calling someone out of their mind, zumbado.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Since they were 6 or 7, I doubt that they knew that.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't remember who, but someone had a link to "Unpacking The Invisible Knapsack" and it was my first exposure to the concept of white privilege (I grew up in a very insulated town and family), and it started my learning journey there.
GC was where I first learned of the Invisible Knapsack as well. chaosDST (who did not post that, but frequently posted other resources) and posters like her were essential in deepening the conversations around race here.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

But you know what white privilege means, and what you are describing doesn't negate white privilege.

For those who are observing this exchange, white privilege does not mean that a white person automatically has a better life in every community all the time. It means, in part, that white people are members of a legacy club (that they did not choose to be part of) that grants them better opportunities because of biases that are common in this society.

Examples:

A white child can pick up a science fiction or fantasy novel and see themselves represented most of the time. The existence of Black sci-fi fantasy does not negate whiteness being accepted as the default face for humanity.

Predominately white fraternity/sorority life is seen as the default kind of fraternity life, despite Black fraternal life having more life-long activity and a much larger community service imprint. Additionally, a white person can be guaranteed to not be excluded from the default Greek life on the basis of their race -- and would still be considered (if not fetishized!) if they were interested in Black Greek life.

I'm not even going to get into examples from policing or science/medicine.

In short, nobody ever said that "white privilege" is the same as living a "privileged" life. There are surely poor white people.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Partly true, but you know what? Even when I was a child, and most of you know how long ago that was, kids of all races were represented in my books and in cartoons and on TV. And some people are saying there is now both white privilege and yellow privilege because Asians have done so well here. I can guarantee you that having a white or yellow skin (especially since I have 4 Asian daughters) doesn't automatically push open doors. We all have to prove ourselves individually.

We could debate this forever. It deserves its own thread, though.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
...as the resident ancient teacher...
This made me chuckle! I like your sense of humor!
Old 05-10-2024, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post
This made me chuckle! I like your sense of humor!
It's true, although there are a couple of men 2 years behind me. Actually, we have a lot of teachers over 50--I think it makes the school calmer.

And some kid just brought a possum in here.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
Just abbreviations like tldr, etc. I really enjoyed learning about what GCers do for a living. And then, I learned a lot from John about how the forum works. That was really interesting.
Quote:
Well they “totally made up” a term one letter off from calling someone out of their mind, zumbado.
I’ll add the meaning of this word to the other things I’ve learned on GC.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
I’ll add the meaning of this word to the other things I’ve learned on GC.
I never put what the word meant!
Old 05-11-2024, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I never put what the word meant!
Correct. You didn’t, but bevinpiphi did — the reason I quoted her post with the correct spelling in it, and not yours.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

I am a Spanish professor and teacher, and I know what zumbado means--it's the past participle of zumbar and you would used it like this: "la abeja ha zumbado", the bee has buzzed.

Zumbedo, one of my brothers' made up words. is pronunced "ZOOMbeedoe" and since we weren't allowed to insult people, they used it as one of their insults and my mother wouldn't understand. That one was used to describe people they didn't even have words for because they were so disgusted or mad.