GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Sigma Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,769
Threads: 115,526
Welcome to our newest member, zadisonswifto94
» Online Users: 1,418
0 members and 1,418 guests
No Members online

Old 07-27-2007, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I relay to everyone who tries to call me a Tri-Sig that Sig is not a greek letter. The letters are Sigma, therefore, I would appreciate being called either a Tri Sigma or just plainly Sigma. (At my school, there's only Sigma Sigma Sigma and Alpha Sigma Tau)
The above does not reflect the personal opinions of ΣΣΣMagan. It in no way reflects the opinions of the Eta Rho chaper at Armstrong Atlantic State Univeristy of Sigma Sigma Sigma or National Panhellenic Conference.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2007, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

The Tri Sigmas on my campus were usually just called Sigmas. While I understand that there is no Greek letter called Sig, there's no Greek letter called Ep, either, and most of the guys in Sigma Phi Epsilon called themselves SigEps. The letter Omega is more of a W than an O, yet Chi Omega's are ok with being called ChiO's (at least they used to be -- I assume they still are!).

If you want to be called by something (like Sigma or Tri Sigma), that's fine. But to say you don't want to be called something b/c there isn't a Greek letter with that name, well, that's kinda strange if you ask me.

I've always been fond of Sigmas, so I'd never call them something they didn't want to be called. But, it's always bothered me when this excuse is used to explain why they shouldn't be called Sigs.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
If you want to be called by something (like Sigma or Tri Sigma), that's fine. But to say you don't want to be called something b/c there isn't a Greek letter with that name, well, that's kinda strange if you ask me.

I definately don't think it is strange. We're in a GLO... greek letter organization. If it's not greek, then it shouldn't be apart of our name. Sig is not greek. The other GLO's that you mentioned might be fine with being referred to as something other than their greek name. My chapter, is not. The people at my school respect that.
The above does not reflect the personal opinions of ΣΣΣMagan. It in no way reflects the opinions of the Eta Rho chaper at Armstrong Atlantic State Univeristy of Sigma Sigma Sigma or National Panhellenic Conference.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't mean to be offensive or disrespectful by using the word 'strange'. I guess I should've said that it's inconsistent with how other groups' nicknames are used.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
I didn't mean to be offensive or disrespectful by using the word 'strange'. I guess I should've said that it's inconsistent with how other groups' nicknames are used.
No, it is a strange way to rationalize it.

I mean...Tri isn't a Greek letter either. If that's going to be the reasoning, Sigma should be the only thing that's used.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ΣΣΣMagan View Post
I definately don't think it is strange. We're in a GLO... greek letter organization. If it's not greek, then it shouldn't be apart of our name. Sig is not greek.
Tell that to the Sigs (Sigma Chi), not to mention the Alpha Sigs, Kappa Sigs, Phi Sigs, Delta Sigs, Sig Taus, Sig Kaps and Sig Eps. (Oops, double bad on using non-Greek letters for the last two group mentioned).

I guess maybe the Delts, Alpha Gams, Phi Delts, Phi Lambs, Pi Lams, Pi Kapps and the Phi Kaps are all being less than Greek as well. And let's not even start on the groups that mix Latin and Greek letters, like ADPi or ChiO.

I agree with 33girl -- I will certainly call any GLO by the name its members prefer, but the idea that if it's not a Greek letter, it shouldn't be a part of a GLO's name seems a strange rationalization when it's a nickname one is talking about. And to be frank, it comes off as sounding somewhat disrespectful of the many orgs whose traditional nicknames include anything other than actual Greek letters.

It seems quite enough to me for members of any group simply to say "we prefer to be called _______"

Last edited by MysticCat; 08-24-2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
And to be frank, it comes off as sounding somewhat disrespectful of the many orgs whose traditional nicknames include anything other than actual Greek letters.
Says the Sinfonian....
Old 08-24-2007, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Says the Sinfonian....
LOL -- I wasn't even thinking about SINFONIA when I typed that.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Tell that to the Sigs (Sigma Chi), not to mention the Alpha Sigs, Kappa Sigs, Phi Sigs , Delta Sigs. Sig Taus and Sig Eps. (Oops, double bad on using non-Greek letters for the last group mentioned).

I guess maybe the Delts, Alpha Gams, Phi Delts, Phi Lambs, Pi Lams, Pi Kapps and the Phi Kaps are all being less than Greek as well. And let's not even start on the groups that mix Latin and Greek letters, like ADPi or ChiO.

I agree with 33girl -- I will certainly call any GLO by the name its members prefer, but the idea that if it's not a Greek letter, it shouldn't be a part of a GLO's name seems a strange rationalization when it's a nickname one is talking about. And to be frank, it comes off as sounding somewhat disrespectful of the many orgs whose traditional nicknames include anything other than actual Greek letters.

It seems quite enough to me for members of any group simply to say "we prefer to be called _______"
*cough* Sig Kaps *cough

Old 08-24-2007, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Editing (and penance) has occured.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
^^^ Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Editing (and penance) has occured.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Tell that to the Sigs (Sigma Chi), not to mention the Alpha Sigs, Kappa Sigs, Phi Sigs, Delta Sigs, Sig Taus, Sig Kaps and Sig Eps. (Oops, double bad on using non-Greek letters for the last two group mentioned).

Seriously, same with Sigma Nu. we call ourselves SigNu, we advertise our parties as being at the SigNu house and have shirts that say SigNu. so i think the Tri-sig Tri-Sigma thing is splitting hairs
Old 10-12-2007, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to elephant0906
When I first joined last semester, our pledge mom told us not to say "TriSig" because we do have some bigger girls and people have apparently called us "TriPigs" in the past. I haven't actually heard anyone actually refer to us like that though. I do have sisters though that will call ourselves "TriSigs". I think it may just be a matter of personal preference and tradition within that chapter.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:37 AM
GreekChat Member

all i know is that when i went through new member education, we were specifically told that we were called tri sigmas, and not tri sigs, because it showed respect for our house/organization. when you think about it, it does sound nicer. also, she said that "sigs" sounds like "cigs", and cigarettes are gross. ha.