GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Kappa Kappa Gamma (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Santa Clara University (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=97228)

LucyKKG 06-21-2008 02:50 AM

Santa Clara University

From the Kappa website:
Quote:

The Fraternity is pleased to announce that Kappa has been invited to colonize our 135th chapter at Santa Clara, California, this Fall 2008. More information will be available following our Biennial Convention.
Although Greeks aren't recognized by the school, SCU already has 3 other very successful Panhellenic chapters. They have Theta, DG, and Alpha Phi.

I'm so excited for this new chapter so close to UC Santa Cruz as well as my hometown!

gee_ess 06-21-2008 09:27 AM

Congrats to the Santa Cruz kappas to be!

I'm curious, is it difficult to exist on a campus where Greeks are not recognized by the school? Is there no Greek Life office? How does the student activities organization handle these groups?

LucyKKG 06-22-2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gee_ess (Post 1671046)

I'm curious, is it difficult to exist on a campus where Greeks are not recognized by the school? Is there no Greek Life office? How does the student activities organization handle these groups?

I'm sure it must be difficult. I've heard that the only form of advertisement they can have on campus is the t-shirts they wear. (i.e. no flyers whatsoever!)

We actually don't have a Greek Life office at UCSC. Our adviser is ummm...learning along the way. He's one of the guys who advises a bunch of clubs registered with the school.

gee_ess 06-23-2008 07:52 PM

Wow, good luck with your advisor. Sounds like he will be willing to work with you as you both learn the ropes! :) And that can be a good thing since he may be more open to suggestions, etc than a seasoned advisor.

Also, have a great time at convention this week. You will love the Arizona Biltmore!

ISUKappa 06-23-2008 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gee_ess (Post 1671046)

IIRC, there are a few Ivies that don't officially recognize GLOs where Kappa has chapters, so the Fraternity does have some sort of experience dealing with campuses such as those, though I'm sure it varies from University to University.

Congrats to Santa Clara! And have fun at Convention. I really wish I could go. :(

NoCalDG 06-27-2008 05:13 PM

I am a Delta Gamma almuna and an advisor to the DG chapter in Santa Clara.

Congrats to Kappa on your invitation to colonize with Santa Clara Panhellenic this fall.

In answer to how a Greek system works without campus recognition: it is all done by the collegiate members, volunteer alumnae (including a volunteer panhellenic advisor, in lieu of a university staff advisor). NPC reps (meaning the national delegation members to NPC who are assigned to this area) often help with Bid Matching.

Santa Clara University withdrew recognition of the Greek system in 2001, citing limited university resources to monitor a rapidly-increasing GLO membership, including multi-cultural local groups, not just IFC and NPC groups. In other words, they didn't want to commit the staff resources to working with the GLOs. (It had nothing to do with any bad behavior, etc., on the part of the GLOs.) At that point, the Greeks formed their own panhellenic and IFC governing councils off-campus.

Both Delta Gamma and Kappa Kappa Gamma have experience with chapters in this type of off-campus greek system.