GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Fundraising
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,647
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Rachiokzo
» Online Users: 1,171
1 members and 1,170 guests
SigmaChiCard

Old 03-13-2003, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to little_angel
bachelorette auction

My sorority has decided to do a bachelorette auction as a fundraiser. We're donating 50% of our proceeds to the local children's hospital as well. We have brainstormed a few ideas to make things run smoother, but I was wondering if anyone has done one before, and if they have any tips to make things any easier for us? We'll be auctioning our girls off in pairs, for safety reasons as well as to keep things from being akward on dates. One of the fraternities does this every year and makes nearly $1000 every time, and uses it to fund their pledge class activities. Any help would be appriciated!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-13-2003, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
I can't really offer any advice to make it go more smoothly. But I will say that make sure your girls are 100% interested in participating. My chapter is going to participate in something like this, and some of the girls were a little bit uncomfortable with the whole thing.
This is the kind of thing that might make some girls feel uneasy. It has the potential to be a great succsess, just make sure every girl is willing to participate 100%.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to little_angel
Very good point- fortunatly, everyone seems REALLY excited! We've even got two local radio stations planning a live broadcast, and a news channel covering the event.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Be VERY carful with nationals and this...MAKE SURE that it's everyone and not just pledges (if you have actives and pledges yet)...this can be constiered a form of hazing...I know Delta Upsilon on our campus was doing a pledge auction and we couldn't even GO....
Old 10-12-2003, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

We're going to try a Bachelor auction and get guys from campus to auction themselves off. One question my friend brought up - who pays for the date?
Old 01-29-2004, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

a chapter at my school did this.. and each "bachelorette came with a pair of tickets to a hockey game" and they all went together... that way its a safe situation and less awkward... esp since some of the girls had bfs at other schools
Old 01-29-2004, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with AlphaFrog on this and be careful about nationals..

I know personally.. well at least we have always been told that we can not participate in such functions. We arent even allowed to participate in beauty pageant type events. I agree with this as well.. one group on campus tried to promote their event as a "talent" event, but it was clearly a beauty pageant once we got their.. and it made our girl (one of my close friends) feel really uncomfortable.. I agree with our policy in this area ...
Old 01-29-2004, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

we used to do a bachelor/bachelorette auction. but we didnt auction off our chapter (except one girl each year). we had all of the organizations on campus put someone into our auction each year. this way we drew in a lot more people to the auction.

for the date packages, we were able to get a lot of donations from businesses in the area. each package had a dinner and an activity (sports tickets, theatre event, glass blowing, ice skating, etc)
Old 11-18-2004, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to robertkyxiota
A Fraternity here auctions members off for periods of time, essentially as slaves for that time. They had to remember to add in "Anything within Reason," however. Just remember that part.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an officer for my school's Asian Pacific American Coalition and we have an annual date auction. My advice is first check that this is ok with the school. At my school, they only let us have the date auction if everyone being auctioned off signed a waiver and if the women's resource center could leave brochures about rape prevention and abuse prevention at our date auction. One thing that helped to keep things organized was to have one person in charge of writing down who bid on who and for how much $ and another person in charge of collecting money. Other than that, just make sure you advertise well, tell everyone you know, and you get girls that want to be auctioned off (not forcing anyone). If the people being auctioned off are enthusiastic and outgoing and maybe a little goofy, it makes it much more fun for everyone.

PSimissU