GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,575
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,119
2 members and 1,117 guests
KatieKate1244

Old 07-27-2003, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

What happened to expansion at carnation's college?

Hi there!

Some months back there was a thread about carnation's involvement with expansion at the college she works for as an instructor. The last we heard was that several NPC groups had made presentations to the existing local sororities.

Then, mysteriously, the thread was deleted.

I know she didn't want to say the name of the college, but I do know which one it is (don't worry, I won't say) . It would appear that one of the locals has officially completed a mutual selection with one NPC and the other one appears to be staying local.

My understanding was that the administration told the local orgs to "go national or be forced to disband". Yet the other local sorority is still listed.

Similarly, it looks like the men have agreed colonizations with a couple national fraternities.

Since it's recruitment season, I would love to hear about how the colonization efforts are coming along for the new NPC group!

Carnation, if you can, do give us an update on this fantastic new opportunity for the students!

.....Kelly
Old 07-27-2003, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, I'm a professor, not an instructor!

You're right, one fraternity went Chi Phi and the other went Delta Sigma Phi. One sorority went Phi Mu (there was a chapter here almost 100 years ago) and the other, besieged by alums, stayed local. Now there's a group of women (the local's former officers) who broke away because they want to be national. I believe they're talking to Gamma Phi this fall and I don't know who all else.

The faculty members were told that the locals had been given an ultimatum about going national so we don't know what's going on. Regardless, we think the local will die at the hands of nationals because they'll have little chance against a national rush unless they make HUUUUGE changes.

Lots of drama here!
Old 07-27-2003, 07:50 PM

where did you go to college/university, carnation? you can PM me
Old 07-27-2003, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
Hey, I'm a professor, not an instructor!

My apologies, I wasn't trying to offend you. I was thinking of saying "professor" but I wasn't sure. Then I thought of "lecturer"...but, again, I wasn't sure. So I just went with something I thought would be a bit generic. I don't know your employment history so I have no idea if you have tenure or anything. Ah well...I'm sorry about that.

At any rate, it's awesome that Phi Mu will be returning to your campus! But what's this?...

Quote:
One sorority went Phi Mu (there was a chapter here almost 100 years ago) and the other, besieged by alums, stayed local. Now there's a group of women (the local's former officers) who broke away because they want to be national. I believe they're talking to Gamma Phi this fall and I don't know who all else.
Do I understand this correctly? Some of the members from the second local sorority broke away because their alumnae were firmly against their going national? It's a shame that the alumnae and actives are in this situation. However, change is change. If I was in this situation, and I was an alumna of the second local sorority, I would have probably voted for going national. Ah well..it's not me now is it.

Thanks for the update!

.....Kelly
Old 07-27-2003, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, the voting re: national or local was held at the very end of school and most of the campus was like, "Huh? What happened? Bye!"

Fuzicrayon can probably fill you in on exactly what happened but I was even told by one of my summer students that some women who really wanted to be national disaffiliated from the other local and joined Fuzi's group. That was a big around here since the 2 groups are pretty dissimilar.

Some folks from Phi Mu's national office were here over the weekend forming an alum chapter and a couple of weeks ago, they came for new member orientation and handed out all kinds of Phi Mu stuff. I saw Fuzicrayon waltzing out of the main building with something small and Phi Mu-colored!

The guys are extremely happy with their decisions and have met a bunch of local, prominent alums of their groups. All 3 groups are planning some kind of Phi-esta since they all have "Phi" in their names!
Old 07-27-2003, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
how is fuzicrayon doing?? (this is a hint to come back girl!) i want to hear about the whole recolonization process!!!
Old 07-27-2003, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought Gamma Phi had already presented there - wasn't GPhiBLtColonel on the presenting team? It's great that Phi Mu is recolonizing there - it was their Nu chapter so it will be great to get that back!
Old 07-27-2003, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Fuzicrayon was in Europe for awhile and is back on campus for July...I'll email her and try to get her to post her insights on the colonization and so forth! Also--her roommate is one of the women who disaffiliated from the other group and wants to go national.

Gamma Phi did present in April and the presenters were very sweet!
Old 07-28-2003, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

i am glad to hear that things are going well! fuzi- get back here, we need to hear about your trip, too!!!! and just a little tid bit of info (cuz i just got my history book) the nu chapter opened in May 1911 and closed in May 1912 when the campus banned national orgs! funny how things change!!!!
Old 07-28-2003, 05:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi Beta is going back to further discuss expansion at Carnation's college. I am hopeful we will get the nod to come on campus by the end of the year so we can do a spring recruitment -- but that is just me being hopeful...
FYI -- I did attend the presentation but was not part of the team (probably because I am old & crusty!)
Old 08-04-2003, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
It's awesome to hear about the developments at this college!! It sounds to me like Gamma Phi will probably be able to find a place there, making four new national GLOs. I will be rooting for all the new/prospective groups!
Old 08-05-2003, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to FuziCrayon
Back in GA

Wow! It's so great to be a topic of conversation again. It's true, I went to London and Scotland and my trip was awesome. I saw sooo many cool things over there and I already miss Europe. Then... last week I went to Panama City Beach in FL with my family for a much needed vacation. It's been a GREAT summer, but I am ready for new classes to start, my friends to come back to school, and my sisters to get rollin with Phi Mu. We are all so excited. I think we may have embarrassed ourselves during our work weekend a few weeks ago. We were all so excited to start learning about Phi Mu. We may have been overwhelming to the reps the two days they were here, but we had a great weekend! Pictures are up on our webpage if you want to see some of the posters we made. Just PM me for the address It's a pretty good webpage if I might say so myself *wink wink*

So I'm back and ready for questions Ask away!

Phi Mu, the lifetime of wonderful.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

I just saw where FuziCrayon is the secretary of the interGreek Council! Woohoo, way to go!
Old 08-06-2003, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations, FuziCrayon! I LOVE your signature You and your sisters must be so excited.

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 08-06-2003, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
i love the website Fuzi, esp. the work week pics!!! the ribboning ceremony pics were great! you've done a great job and i can't wait to hear about the success of Phi Mu on Shorter's campus