GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Gamma > Gamma Sigma Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 843
0 members and 843 guests
No Members online

Old 09-21-2007, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I've made my decision, now how to start an interest group ?

I have made a few post about wanting to join an NPC or NPHC or some other GLO, but after doing research I decided that i what I really want to join GSS. I love the idea of sisters working together for the community, As I have posted before there is not chapter at my school and I would like to start one next fall. My question now is how much work is involved. I am also applying for student ambassador, and if I want to start a GSS chapter will I have to quit ? The website does not give much detail.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh I just noticed there is a chapter at NVCC, I went there for a semester
Old 09-21-2007, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelymaiara View Post
I have made a few post about wanting to join an NPC or NPHC or some other GLO, but after doing research I decided that i what I really want to join GSS. I love the idea of sisters working together for the community, As I have posted before there is not chapter at my school and I would like to start one next fall. My question now is how much work is involved. I am also applying for student ambassador, and if I want to start a GSS chapter will I have to quit ? The website does not give much detail.
I have read your other posts, and I will restrain myself from being critical.
Simply stated, if there is not a chapter on your campus, you cannot simply "join".

If you did read what is posted on the website, www.gammasigmasigma.org, you will have found all the information that you need to get started.

Since you cannot seem to find it, I have copied and pasted some important information for you:

"Individual students who have no affiliation with an established service group may wish to organize such an interest group on campus. With the guidance of the National Board of Directors, such groups may become colonies and, eventually,
chapters of Gamma Sigma Sigma. For more information on how your group can petition for membership, contact the National Membership Director at membership@gammasigmasigma.org "

I suggest really doing your homework as to what Gamma Sig stands for. You might want to start out by writing down a few reasons why you are interested in Gamma Sig. There is a new member period, and obligations of sisterhood, so the workload/time commitment is eviqualent of pledging other greek letter organizations.

Colonizing is not something that you "join". There is a LOT of work, and it takes more than one person to achieve it. There are no guarantees, nor instant gratification.

Best of luck in your endevour.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I just want to know exaclty what the process is, if you can tell me, what to expect. I know I want to start one , because my school does not have a all-female service sorority, not to mention, (as I think I already said) myh school is in the city and we are near some "at-risk" neighborhood that could use some cleaning up. Not to mention all the resources we have. Some of the neighborhoods could use some real cleaning up. I just want to set up an intreset meeting and see what happens. Any information about what colonizing entails would be nice thank you.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, I just want to know exaclty what the process is, if you can tell me, what to expect. I know I want to start one , because my school does not have a all-female service sorority, not to mention, (as I think I already said) myh school is in the city and we are near some "at-risk" neighborhood that could use some cleaning up. Not to mention all the resources we have. Some of the neighborhoods could use some real cleaning up. I just want to set up an intreset meeting and see what happens. Any information about what colonizing entails would be nice thank you.
Their national headquarters will be your best resource. Contact them.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, I just want to know exaclty what the process is, if you can tell me, what to expect. ................. Any information about what colonizing entails would be nice thank you.
If you want information about colonization, contact HQ.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Quote:
Now what is this?? I too was going to refrain from being critical, but...

Let me help you a bit here. First of all, GSS isn't an "all-female" service sorority. Let's be clear about that.

Second of all, you do not have to be greek to get out in the community and help people. I really hope you are not about to start up a chapter at your school because you're near an "at-risk" neighborhood and it needs some cleaning up. There are plenty of other options out there other than a sorority. And let's say you did start a chapter and then you cleaned the neighborhood up. What then? Did you read about our other aims? Do you know about our National Partnerships? Did you know about Project IMPACT? If you read the site, you'd see it right there.

Third, you were all over GC last week asking about joining other GLO's and that is fine, but let me say this. Gamma Sigma Sigma National Service Sorority IS NOT, WILL NOT, and WILL NEVER BE that organization you come to just because no other sorority will accept you. I cannot help but feel a little suspect at your sudden willingness to join my organization when it was clearly not your first aspiration to begin with. Starting a colony is HARD WORK. I should know, I started one at my own school in undergrad and assisted in the formation of several others. Are you ready to commit at least two years to this?

As my sister REE1993 already said, everything you need to get started (because even after all this I am still giving you the benefit of the doubt) is on our website complete with the contact information. Good luck.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 09-24-2007, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma_girl52 View Post
Now what is this?? I too was going to refrain from being critical, but...

Let me help you a bit here. First of all, GSS isn't an "all-female" service sorority. Let's be clear about that.

Second of all, you do not have to be greek to get out in the community and help people. I really hope you are not about to start up a chapter at your school because you're near an "at-risk" neighborhood and it needs some cleaning up. There are plenty of other options out there other than a sorority. And let's say you did start a chapter and then you cleaned the neighborhood up. What then? Did you read about our other aims? Do you know about our National Partnerships? Did you know about Project IMPACT? If you read the site, you'd see it right there.

Third, you were all over GC last week asking about joining other GLO's and that is fine, but let me say this. Gamma Sigma Sigma National Service Sorority IS NOT, WILL NOT, and WILL NEVER BE that organization you come to just because no other sorority will accept you. I cannot help but feel a little suspect at your sudden willingness to join my organization when it was clearly not your first aspiration to begin with. Starting a colony is HARD WORK. I should know, I started one at my own school in undergrad and assisted in the formation of several others. Are you ready to commit at least two years to this?

As my sister REE1993 already said, everything you need to get started (because even after all this I am still giving you the benefit of the doubt) is on our website complete with the contact information. Good luck.
Girl, you just (so eloquently) said what I wanted to say.
~Smooches from the north.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Apparently, someone pointed this girl in the direction of Happy Pony Rainbow Land.

I wonder who that could have been.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma_girl52 View Post
Gamma Sigma Sigma National Service Sorority IS NOT, WILL NOT, and WILL NEVER BE that organization you come to just because no other sorority will accept you. I cannot help but feel a little suspect at your sudden willingness to join my organization when it was clearly not your first aspiration to begin with.

Ok--I understand where you are coming from, but I also think you're making some leaps here. Everything I have seen from this OP indicated that she was interested in a service sorority as well as a social/service sorority--and I think she determined that the service side was really where she wanted to be/start.

Yes, she should have done her research on her own--no excuse there.
But people, we really need to remember that we are dealing with 18/19/20 year olds here who are trying to discover what they want to do. That's all I am saying... and if she wants to make a difference in her neighborhood, we should honor that and point to how she can do that.

Sorry---just felt the need to say something.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPIDelta View Post
Ok--I understand where you are coming from, but I also think you're making some leaps here. Everything I have seen from this OP indicated that she was interested in a service sorority as well as a social/service sorority--and I think she determined that the service side was really where she wanted to be/start.

Yes, she should have done her research on her own--no excuse there.
But people, we really need to remember that we are dealing with 18/19/20 year olds here who are trying to discover what they want to do. That's all I am saying... and if she wants to make a difference in her neighborhood, we should honor that and point to how she can do that.

Sorry---just felt the need to say something.
You don't have to apologize. I may have jumped the gun a *little* with this OP, but overall I stand by that statement. It's just a pet peeve that I have because I see it a lot. The OP was just on GC last week with a laundry list of organizations she wanted to join so my antennas were up on that.

That statement I made to the OP is how I feel--again, you don't need greek letters across your chest to serve your community (yet as Greeks we know it's not a bad way to do it!).

Like we've said already, everything the OP needs is on our National site. Not to be mean, but REE1993 already gave her the information. Good luck to her.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Thank you everyone ( for the good and bad)

Wow I had no ides that people were still responding. first of all gamma_girl52 I do not want to start a chapter because no others will accept me, And yes I was asking about other GLOs because I am interested in GLOs, I never knew there were so many. Well anyway I recived all the information i needed from headquaters, and have decided to only concentrate on pursuing this. I realize that maybe saying all female was not the right choice of words, but thats what I get from looking at wikipedia. And also wanting to help the at risk neigborhoods was just a small part of a big picture, it was not the only goal. Finally thank you for all those who pointed me in the direction of head quaters. and Alpha frog I don't remeber who pointed me here, but I have honestly learned alot.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wow I had no ides that people were still responding. first of all gamma_girl52 I do not want to start a chapter because no others will accept me, And yes I was asking about other GLOs because I am interested in GLOs, I never knew there were so many. Well anyway I recived all the information i needed from headquaters, and have decided to only concentrate on pursuing this. I realize that maybe saying all female was not the right choice of words, but thats what I get from looking at wikipedia. And also wanting to help the at risk neigborhoods was just a small part of a big picture, it was not the only goal. Finally thank you for all those who pointed me in the direction of head quaters. and Alpha frog I don't remeber who pointed me here, but I have honestly learned alot.
It's okay. I wish you lots of luck in your pursuit. Hopefully the Membership Director has contacted you already.