GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,430
0 members and 1,430 guests
No Members online

Old 08-26-2003, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Passing of a Sinfonian

Sorry to crash...

I wanted to let you all know that Dr. George Koenig of Dayton passed away this past Saturday. Koenig was alumnus of Phi Mu Alpha's Phi Omega chapter at the University of Dayton and served as President of the Alumni Band for many years.

Here is an article about the UD Marching Band playing for Dr. Koenig one last time: http://www.daytondailynews.com/local.../0823dale.html

And an annoucement made by Jeremy Fox, the current Phi Omega chapter president regarding Dr. Koenig's passing:

George Koenig, a long time Pride of Dayton member and president of the band alumni, was close to death. We (the POD) were asked to preform for him one last time. So we took about 30 ppl to the Hospice and gave him one final show. We played Victory last because that was the last song he wanted to hear from the band. It was such a touching moment. There was so much love in that room it was amazing. And to top it all off we found out that=t he was a Sinfonian. So on Friday morning a group of about 12 brothers went to go sing to George one last time. He was not very aware during the first song that we sang...but when we started the second song his eyes opened up and he started looking around the room....It was truly a special moment to see what the beauty and power of music can do for our fellow man. While George did pass away very early Saturday morning It made everything worth it just to see him alert while we were singing and playing. He is the model which all true men need to copy. He loved music and music loved him.

My thoughts are with the Koenig family and the brothers of Phi Mu Alpha as they mourn the loss of one of their own.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for posting this, Nikki_DZ. My sympathy goes out to my brothers in Phi Omega, to Brother Koenig's family, and to all others who mourn his death and remember with gratitude his life.

Oh, may I join the choir invisible
Of those immortal dead who live again
In minds made better by their presence....

-- George Eliot, The Choir Invisible
Old 08-30-2003, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedMusiq4U Send a message via Yahoo to RedMusiq4U
Much Love to the Phi Omega Chapter, sorry to hear of your lost.