GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,352
3 members and 1,349 guests
modorney, navane, Sciencewoman

Old 08-26-2010, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Pledges and Greek Clothing

Hi, there:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, so mods feel free to move if necessary.

It has been 30 years since I was a collegiate, and I can't remember if pledges can wear the letters before they go active. This may be something that varies from one chapter to another, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I was thinking of sending my daughter a little care package.

Thanks everyone

University of Toledo
Theta Psi
Old 08-26-2010, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

This has been discussed before many times:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...earing+letters

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=90278

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=14452

Tell her to ask her NM Educator if it's part of her sorority policy for NMs to wear letters.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you .... I forgot about the search function.

University of Toledo
Theta Psi
Old 08-26-2010, 11:33 PM

I'm going to add that even though some sororities may say it is their policy to let NMs wear letters, campus tradition might dictate otherwise. Also the TYPE of letters that may be worn (sewn on, screen print etc) may be something that factors in from campus to campus. (I'm guessing, mom, you're like me and remember the days where if we got a screen print from the bookstore we were happy. )

Just to be safe, stick with pens, notecards, totebags, stuffed mascots etc. for right now. The last thing you want is for your daughter to get some sort of shirt that's inappropriate.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:46 PM

It depends. There are national GLO rules, chapter policies, and campus culture to consider. It's not necessarily wrong to send your daughter items with letters, but she may not be able to wear/use them until she is initiated. Her NM educator can tell her (and, through her, you) what is appropriate.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Fail safe rule for campus culture: If the bid day shirt doesn't have letters on it, do not send letters. If the bid day shirt has tiny tiny letters and typically the chapter does wear block style letters, do not send letters.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to krrrristen
I think it varies from chapter to chapter. At my school, nobody wears embroidered letters until they are initiated, but I'm in AEPhi and I can't wear,write,make the phi symbol at all until initiation.

Which is sad, because our pan shirt is super cute but it has a phi on it =[

Tonight our knights will shine... <3

Kristen <3
Old 08-27-2010, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krrrristen View Post
I think it varies from chapter to chapter. At my school, nobody wears embroidered letters until they are initiated, but I'm in AEPhi and I can't wear,write,make the phi symbol at all until initiation.

But what a great feeling it was to finally wear that Φ proudly!
Old 08-27-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
Fail safe rule for campus culture: If the bid day shirt doesn't have letters on it, do not send letters. If the bid day shirt has tiny tiny letters and typically the chapter does wear block style letters, do not send letters.
Do you mean in general or to wear? Like can mom send pencils and stuff?
Old 08-27-2010, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I would stick with 33girl's suggestion and get items in the colors or with the mascot until you know for sure.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 08-27-2010, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I usually find that pencils and doodads (note pads, makeup bags, etc.) are okay. Or they usually don't have letters on them to begin with. This is just based on my observances of campus culture and not a solid guideline. It used to be that people'd complain if a new member had a makeup bag with letters, but typically now as long as she's not wearing it it's "safe" as a gift. I think things have changed now that there is more insistence from many HQs on providing new members with letters and watching chapters attempt to "get around" these things over time without being obvious and trying to remain in compliance.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
I think things have changed now that there is more insistence from many HQs on providing new members with letters and watching chapters attempt to "get around" these things over time without being obvious and trying to remain in compliance.
They can "insist" all they want but if you go out wearing letters and hear "OMG! MY chapter doesn't let you wear letters (crest, block letters etc) till initiation...you guys must be REALLY lame" there's not a strong enough edict from any HQ that will get people into them. If HQs force the issue, that's kind of like reverse hazing.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krrrristen View Post

I'm surprised that your chapter was ok with the Greek letters being on the Panhellenic shirt. Our Panhel shirts had all the names of the sororities spelled out, because two out of the five NPCs then on campus (AEPhi and Theta) don't let anyone who isn't an initiated sister wear their letters. I guess it's a little easier to do that when you're talking about five sororities and not 16.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Fraternities probably have different standards with this, and I certainly can only speak to my chapter and observations, but in our chapter the rule for pledges was "no stitched letters." Screen-print were ok, in fact our bid day shirts had them. I would also assume (but not presume to know for certain) that Phi Delt is similar because I know a lot of the PDTs who were founders of the colony that just came on and they all got Founding Father shirts with printed letters.
Florida Atlantic University
Old 08-28-2010, 04:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston327 View Post
Fraternities probably have different standards with this, and I certainly can only speak to my chapter and observations, but in our chapter the rule for pledges was "no stitched letters." Screen-print were ok, in fact our bid day shirts had them. I would also assume (but not presume to know for certain) that Phi Delt is similar because I know a lot of the PDTs who were founders of the colony that just came on and they all got Founding Father shirts with printed letters.
At my chapter we were allowed to have items and clothing with letters and in fact my mom had a really nice jersey made in my sorority's colors for me the week after I got my bid, which I still have.

Which leads to another point...if you want to get her something like that, she could always put it in her closet until she is initiated if she's not allowed to wear it yet. I'm sure she wouldn't be the only one given letters too early in her chapter.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx