GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,041
2 members and 1,039 guests
indygphib, PrettyBoy

Old 11-06-2012, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool 1 year old Local sorority with main goal of becoming affiliated with NPC!

Hello, I am new to this site so I am not sure if I am doing this all properly.
I am apart of the executive council of Kappa Pi Chi which is a local sorority in Lethbridge AB, Canada. We founded 1 year ago with the hopes of becoming a national sorority. We have found this now difficult to do, we have sent NPC out bulletin twice now but have heard nothing back. For greek life on our campus we have the Kappa Sigmas (nationally recognized mens fraternity) and also another local sorority whom has no interest in becoming national. We currently have a 13 girl member count, our initiations are next week though were we will adding 15 more girls! Is there any way someone could help us with some advice on how to go national? Thank you so much!
Brooke
Old 11-06-2012, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

You would need more than one chapter to be "national" -- but your organization is one year old. I doubt this will happen during your time in college.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I appreciate your response but do you know the process of NPC that you would be willing to help us understand a bit more?
Old 11-06-2012, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke.taylor View Post
Hello, I am new to this site so I am not sure if I am doing this all properly.
I am apart of the executive council of Kappa Pi Chi which is a local sorority in Lethbridge AB, Canada. We founded 1 year ago with the hopes of becoming a national sorority. We have found this now difficult to do, we have sent NPC out bulletin twice now but have heard nothing back. For greek life on our campus we have the Kappa Sigmas (nationally recognized mens fraternity) and also another local sorority whom has no interest in becoming national. We currently have a 13 girl member count, our initiations are next week though were we will adding 15 more girls! Is there any way someone could help us with some advice on how to go national? Thank you so much!
Brooke
It's not clear to me -- do you mean that you want Kappa Pi Chi to grow into a national (international) sorority, or do you mean that you want Kappa Pi Chi to become a chapter of a national/international sorority?
Old 11-06-2012, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry fot the confusion. We want to become a chapter of a nation/international sorority. We make the name Kappa Pi Chi with 100 intent of it changing once we become affiliated with an already established national organization.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks.

You might start by looking through this thread and the relevant threads linked in it.

And you should definitely read this, which took about 30 seconds to find via Google.

Last edited by MysticCat; 11-06-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:23 PM

Since you are in Canada, things might work a little differently. Have you approached the director of student life?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

There are just a handful of NPC sororities with presence in Canada. I would focus your efforts on them as my sorority, for instance, probably has no intention of expanding to Canada. Also, the ones that are near you are going to be the most interested because an alumnae presence is something sororities look to when thinking about expansion. I think there is also a sizable but not NPC Canadian sorority, isn't there? That may also be something to consider. AFTER doing what 33girl has just suggested. Start from within the school for advice and support if nothing else.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know how the U of L is structured, but I know that at my alma mater (U of Manitoba), we actually fall under the Student Union (in the same category as clubs), so contacting university administration may not produce anything. I know that Alpha Gam has the most number of Canadian chapters (two in Alberta, I believe), so you may find some possibility there (I'm not speaking for IHQ at all, just going by sheer numbers). Alpha Omicron Pi and Alpha Phi also have quite a few chapters in Canada. It may be helpful to look at organisations who already have an established base in Canada, as they will more likely than not have the alumnae support needed.

You also may want to contact the U of A panhell (http://www.ualberta.ca/GREEKLIFE/Sororities.html) and the U of C as well (http://www.uofcsororities.com/), because they may be able to put you in contact with panhellenic alumnae in Lethbridge who would also be an asset in the this situation. Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:59 PM

Just an update to anyone who currently follows this thread:

In the beginning of 2013 greek life on campus was successful at establishing a Greek Council with the University and Students Union.

University of Lethbridge currently has 3 greek organizations:
1 - Kappa Pi Chi Women's Fraternity (2011) - Local seeking extension
2 - Delta Eta Iota Sorority (2008) - Local
3 - Kappa Sigma Fraternity (2006) - International

Kappa Pi Chi has sent bulletins in to NPC, the most recent being one in December of 2013. As far as I am aware, we meet requirements for extension (membership, GPA, fundraisers, etc...), however no interest with colonization has been expressed from any NPC organization. However, we have had offers of colonization with national organizations who are not affiliated with NPC. Kappa Pi Chi will continue to improve itself and seek colonization from a NPC organization until she either receives colonization from one of these organizations or decides to colonize with a different organization. Our organization was founded on the goal of becoming a chapter of a national sorority, so that is what we are going to do!

Our website is www.KappaPiChi.com

My name is Erin Luchia, and I am actually one of the founders of Kappa Pi Chi at the University of Lethbridge.

Note: My comments are my own, and do not reflect those of Kappa Pi Chi.