Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,307
3 members and 1,304 guests
JayhawkAOII, John, Xidelt

Old 07-27-2007, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

The Renaissance of an Alumni Association

I am the President of an APO Alumni Association. (Do I say that a lot? I don't mean to, just wanted to frame the thread appropriately.)

Anyway, we are basically going to be changing the way we conduct business during this year. We have one year terms, and although most Presidents stick with two, I expect three. (There is never any competition and most presidents sorta just give up and move on LOL)

That said..... my goal for this administration is to basically start instituting "best practices" for everything we do.

First thing I did was start standing monthly board meetings, as opposed to "whenever the President feels like it" meetings. That alone has been helpful for collecting mail, signing checks, and acting more quickly on certain issues before the board.

I've also had to make some tough decisions .... for example, we're obviously a service fraternity, so we are supposed to do service. But when a project was planned for this Saturday with no notice before Wednesday, I asked the Service chair to postpone it. I just didn't believe it was a best practice to have a service project on short notice.

I want our events to be successful, not just adequate.

I hope to talk about the growth of my alumni association in this thread and inspire others who are also rebuilding their associations or chapters.

To kick it off, here is my first question:

For those of you who consider yourselves "idea oriented" leaders.... as well as those who demand a certain level of quality in what you do.... how do you work with people who are used to just throwing things together and hoping it works out somehow?
Old 07-28-2007, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

41 views and no responses..... you nosy rosies! LOL
Old 07-29-2007, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
To kick it off, here is my first question:

For those of you who consider yourselves "idea oriented" leaders.... as well as those who demand a certain level of quality in what you do.... how do you work with people who are used to just throwing things together and hoping it works out somehow?

My answer: Not well. I've decided I'm too old to try sometimes....
Old 07-29-2007, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah...... I am trying to work on my diplomacy in 2007. It's hard for me to politely pull someone's coattails if they've overstepped their office.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting concept!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-30-2007, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hit your head against a wall several times and then go to work cleaning up any messes??

But seriously, it drives me nuts to work with people like this because I spend a lot of time thinking things through and planning before I go through with any idea so I can make sure that it will at least have some positive results rather than flying by the seat of my pants and keeping my fingers crossed. In a presidential position I suppose asking for updates on a regular basis can do a lot to satisfy your need for the details and can give you the opportunity to give feedback on what may or may not work. Open discussion with a group can do this without making it come from one person but it depends on how much time you have together. This will also encourage a person who doesn't typically think through all the details beforehand to do a little more planning. It's difficult to do that without micromanaging though.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Those are good ideas....

One thing I did to keep people engaged as well as begin weeding out the dead weight was send out an email giving EVERYBODY something to do by the next meeting. (We had a break in July) So in August, I will know everything, from who doesn't read their emails to who needs the rein and not the whip.

Yes, it will involve at least a little bit of micromanaging, but once I see who doesn't need it, I'll be ready to step back.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Those are good ideas....

One thing I did to keep people engaged as well as begin weeding out the dead weight was send out an email giving EVERYBODY something to do by the next meeting. (We had a break in July) So in August, I will know everything, from who doesn't read their emails to who needs the rein and not the whip.

Yes, it will involve at least a little bit of micromanaging, but once I see who doesn't need it, I'll be ready to step back.
Good for You. Uou mau be truing to do as we all do!

Maybe, get off of the Horse and let them ride it?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-30-2007, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Good for You. You may be trying to do as we all do!

Maybe, get off of the Horse and let them ride it?
Maybe they do not need your help?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-31-2007, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I've found that having a regular business meeting and setting a calendar for the next month/year is very helpful. Then people don't try to do things last minute and are generally prepared if there is a responsibility coming up.

I'm also a fan of an initial business meeting where people can all voice their expectations for the coming year. If you, as president, say you want your group to be more organized and active, people will likely get on board and have some good ideas, and they'll feel like they are a part of it.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur de Lis View Post
I've found that having a regular business meeting and setting a calendar for the next month/year is very helpful. Then people don't try to do things last minute and are generally prepared if there is a responsibility coming up.

I'm also a fan of an initial business meeting where people can all voice their expectations for the coming year. If you, as president, say you want your group to be more organized and active, people will likely get on board and have some good ideas, and they'll feel like they are a part of it.
I totally agree with you about the regular business meetings. The positive result of that change is that the majority of the 12 people on the board understand that this is a working board, not a causal advisory board.

What I hope to have at the next board meeting is the FINAL calendar for the 07-08 year. Our meetings are already set, so I hope that once the whole programming calendar is set, the brothers will see what a robust fraternal year should look like.

Slowly but surely, it's coming along.

(I do fully expect at least two board members to resign before too long, though)
Old 08-08-2007, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Your point about giving everyone something to do is a really good one. You can definitely see who's willing to work and who is not. Also consider setting deadlines for certain things you need done and unfortunately, checking in to see how things are going. You want to avoid appearing pushy but also seem serious about getting work done. I don't do well with the flying by the seat of my pants theory so I decide on what I can do and work to my potential. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2007, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks! I appreciate everyone who is keeping up with this thread. Nothing new to report except for one board member being on the ball and sending me his assignment early!
Old 08-14-2007, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm also a planner. We have our year planned before our year starts. I'm also a big picture planner. So when I look at an event in December at our August planning meeting I want to know how it will all come together now. List it all out, responsibilities, time frames and then ask for regular updates.

One of my favorite things to do with someone that's either flaked on a job or new to the board is to give them a timeline that's ahead of what I really need. So say I need something done by August 1st, I'd give them to July 15th. On July 15th I'd say, I know you're really busy but I really need this done by August 1st. If you're unable to get that done I'd be happy to ask another officer/member to do that. 1. It gives them an out if they need it. 2. You let them know you mean business.

Let's face it - most of our members have other lives. No doubt about it! But our organizations wouldn't thive if committee members / officers didn't put their 1 -5 hours a month into the job. We're all adults. If you can't do it or need help, ask! I set my expectations at the first officer meeting where I tell them exactly that. I don't want to micro-manage. That makes it difficult for anyone to replace me. But I won't have our organization fail because life got in the way. So if you feel like life is getting in the way - shoot me an email, call me because I have a hard time reading minds...
Old 08-15-2007, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with the concept of regularly planned meetings. Taking that and other considerations into account- here are some thoughts on how things have gone since I became, nearly a year ago, VP and Secretary of a Housing Corp for my chapter which had been nearly dormant for 10 years.

1. We started having monthly conference call meetings at a standard time each month (i.e. the xth Tuesday of each month at Y in the afternoon.)

2. Board members did not have to come to every meeting, but they were expected to tender their voting proxy to another member of their choice if they could not make it (and by doing so they would be considered present.) Fail to show or tender your proxy for 3 meetings in a row- and you are suspended and cannot attend meetings or vote. We have yet to decide what to do with suspended members- saving that for later.

3. The President and I went over the By-Laws (written in the 1940s) with a fine tooth comb to determine how best to update them to the chapter's needs today and the Board's capacity to serve the chapter. We are completely re-writing them.

4. Each Board member has a specific task based on their personal and professional expertise, and the amount of time they have available to devote to our efforts. Some people need to spend a lot of time- but an attorney we seek help from maybe once a year will be an invaluable asset when we have housing/leasing issues. This attorney only has time to help on rare occasion, so we made the role fit his needs- and everyone benefits. He can't be there every month to meet- but when we need legal advice he is there for the chapter. So he is just as important and devoted a member as someone who spends 20 hours a month on the chapter.

5. The President and I drive a lot of the agenda, but we do so having met and talked individually with every Board member so we know what is important to them and the direction and future they want to see. We take great pains to craft major initiatives with the interests and high-level goals of all Board members in mind. Does not always work, but it does cut down on disagreement and indifference (see below.)

6. Through alumni outreach, we constantly seek new Board members. We want to have at least 1-2 new people per year. A bigger Board is a better Board (to a point), plus it makes room for people to retire after a time without feeling like they are abandoning their posts.

7. Indifference, in my experience, comes from feeling unappreciated and unheeded. Sometimes people join these kinds of things to make connections or boost a resume- but most of the time I have found that when someone backs away, it is because they are feeling disregarded. So we all strive to avoid that. When it comes to those big picture ideals-based decisions, everyone is heard even if it adds a lot of time to a process and will not affect the final outcome. And sometimes, the minority voice makes a convincing argument that noone else thought of and brings everyone over to his way of thinking.

8. Keep an eye on those who are heavily involved. I am okay with the level of involvement I have right now, but I see that as a temporary measure to get things rolling again after 10 years of dormancy. I will not be doing what I am doing at this same level of committment forever- and so it is critical, in accordance with #7 above, to keep everyone involved at the level they are comfortable so that in future some will reach a point in life when they can take their turn bearing a lot of the workload.

9. Expanding on #8- I think a successful Board over time has a small core of strong leaders who drive most of the effort, but that core of strong leaders needs to be replaced and changed out periodically. People in power too long will inevitably stagnate future growth. Their way will become the only way, and it will make others lose interest. Plus newcomers seeing someone who devoted years and countless hours of time being in charge and they will be afraid to get involved since they will think the demands on them will be too great.

10. Final note- everyone likes to bet on a winning horse. There is always bad news and there is always good news. Manage the bad, and advertise the good all you can. Alumni and chapters need to know when bad things reach critical mass, but for the most part letting everyone know the good results of any efforts involved will inspire future helpful efforts.

Sorry if that came off a bit preachy- writing in a hurry since there is much to say. I have found more value and fun in my role than I ever imagined, and if anything I have experienced can help someone else, then all the better.

Good luck to you. PM anytime if it gets to be too much. Earp is one of many people who let me vent a bit when I need to, and it helps lol.

Last edited by EE-BO; 08-15-2007 at 08:53 PM.