Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,451
1 members and 1,450 guests
UW_dawg

Old 08-16-2005, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Measi Send a message via Yahoo to Measi
Unhappy Saying goodbye

I've decided to halt my pursuit of membership in Beta Sigma Phi. It's upsetting, because you guys have been wonderful... and are exactly why I was encouraged to pursue membership in the first place and why I've remained interested for this long. I appreciate all that you all have done-- the encouragement, the assistance in finding chapters in the area, and the openness. I wish that your example would be what existed at international headquarters.

I've felt like an absolute idiot trying to do this Friendly Venture. Women have asked about the organization, and my lack of education (due to no ability to pledge) leaves me with no information. I don't like being clueless, but I've hit a brick wall, and don't have the knowledge to provide any more information. Nor do I have any support, as my emails have gone unanswered. To me, that's an answer about whether my membership is welcomed. I'm certain that individual members feel differently-- but it's pretty clear that the organiation's higher-ups really don't care one way or the other.

I wish you all the best.

Take care,
Mel.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Measi, if it is OK with you, I would like to forward your post to the International office of Beta. I would take out all names and identifying info.

This makes me mad. I am sick of International refusing to recognize women (especially younger ones) attempting to join the org, giving them no assistance, and refusing to update the media (website et al)!!! Argh!

I have heard that online chapters are in the works of becoming official chapters. They will be able to rush and perform rituals, so that might be another way to explore Beta.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy :(

Mel,
I'm so sorry that this has happened to you. We all need to gather together and petition International for changes... I love my sisterhood and my sisters! PM me with any ideas...Mel I'm going to PM you
Beta Hugs to all of my sisters!
Jamie

Last edited by betasigrose; 08-19-2005 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I would like to point out that someone beat me to the punch about Measi's letter and posted it on Int'l's bulletin board. Just wanted to let everyone know that it wasn't me. I was going to email it to International privately.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SaraKT
I understand

I totally understand how she feels. I've e-mailed HQ at least 4 times trying to find chapters in my area. The two that did contact pretty much discuraged me from joining thier chapters since I'm so much younger than they are (FYI I'm 27). I insisted I at least get to come to a meeting but one chapter meets early in the afternoon when I'm working and can't leave and the other chapter didn't even tell me when their meeting was going to be held.

I've really been trying to pursue this actively but you can only be told "No," so many times.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amgn253
I would like to point out that someone beat me to the punch about Measi's letter and posted it on Int'l's bulletin board. Just wanted to let everyone know that it wasn't me. I was going to email it to International privately.

I would still email it to International privately. I guarantee you not everyone there keeps up with the boards.

After reading postings here and the postings on the boards, I feel very fortunate that I was able to find a chapter for me here in Lexington. I may be the youngest member but I still fit right in (I'm 26 and they are in their early to mid 30's).

I do agree with everyone that more needs to be done with the recruitment of younger women. This would add to our longevity, richness, and deeper appeal to our sisterhood in my opinion.