GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,003
0 members and 1,003 guests
No Members online

Old 08-29-2011, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Our Founders burial sites

I've heard over the years about members of other organizations going to the burial sites of their Founders and cleaning the headstones, laying flowers, etc (especially on Founders Day!) and I was wondering .. does anyone know where any or all of our Founders are buried?

I cannot find any information other than Emily Helen Butterfield might be buried on Nebbish Island where she retired.

I only ask because I think it would be nice if I ever get the chance, to visit their grave, clean it up a bit and say a nice hello to the women who created only the best fraternity ever

Last edited by squirrel_love; 08-29-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_love View Post
I've heard over the years about members of other organizations going to the burial sites of their Founders and cleaning the headstones, laying flowers, etc (especially on Founders Day!) and I was wondering .. does anyone know where any or all of our Founders are buried?

I cannot find any information other than Emily Helen Butterfield might be buried on Nebbish Island where she retired.

I only ask because I think it would be nice if I ever get the chance, to visit their grave, clean it up a bit and say a nice hello to the women who created only the best fraternity every
I remember reading several years ago that IHQ wanted to honor the 11 Founders by placing medallions on their graves. I think this was before our centennial celebration in 2004.

ETA: Found this! http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=22845 - it only lists 5 of them, but I'm sure others here will know where the other 6 are.

AGDee posted in another GC archived thread that she attended a dedication ceremony for Emily Helen Butterfield, so I'm sure she'll be able to to provide her information.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks for the info!!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I attended the one at Emily H. Butterfield's burial site. She is buried in Algonac, MI, where her family was from and where she lived for many years. They did them all the year of the centennial. I think there's an old Quarterly article about it. I'm sure if you emailed IHQ, they could give you the exact locations.