GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,527
0 members and 1,527 guests
No Members online

Old 08-31-2005, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Local Sorority Suspended at CSU-Chico

A local sorority at California State U - Chico has been temporarily de-recognized pending an investigation. The local sorority allegedly violated Chico's ban on fall recruitment.

Student paper article:

http://www.orion-online.com/vnews/di.../4314fa3dad246
Old 08-31-2005, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

more Chico greek fun
Old 08-31-2005, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
correcting the link

http://www.orion-online.net/vnews/di.../4314fa3dad246
Old 08-31-2005, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Will universities' administrators EVER learn that banning/moving/changing recruitment to deal with ONE incident does absolutely nothing? I'm going to assume that these new policies all stem from that Chi Tau incident. It's not fair to punish an ENTIRE system for the actions of one fraternity.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:00 PM

Isn't Alpha Chi a Christian sorority?
Old 08-31-2005, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Let's just say, there has been a lot of trouble in the Chico community in the past year or so

It has been a hot mess.

Case in point

http://www.orion-online.net/vnews/di.../42783946346dd
Old 08-31-2005, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SigK_Bama
OK, so the University says, "No Fall Rush!" This sorority says, "Boo! Hiss! We'll do Fall Rush anyway!", and prints these flyers, has a few info meetings and invites girls to the house. The University comes down hard and strong and threatens to take away their recognition with the University. All this over some flyers? There has to be more.
I think it has to do with the principle. If the admin is making a concerted effort to improve Chico Greek culture, and has set the Greek Community on a probation, then the terms of the probation must be followed in order to determine if GLOs should continue to exist at Chico, as per his earlier statements.

He can't help them if they're going to violate the terms of the probation. If they won't follow these guidelines (which have been set up with a defined purpose, even if not immediately apparent to the collegian members), then it is clear the Greeks don't want to improve the existing situation.

So if the local violates the all-group probation, and the university takes no action, then it is incentive for the rest to ignore the terms of probation and do their own thing, too. I think admin acted appropriately.

I don't have it in for the Chico system-- I think the admin is recognzing that the current climate is not healthy for students and they want to take steps to fix this. I hope the Chico Greek system can be rehabilitated and emerge stronger-- with good Greek-admin relations as a result of this probation. All the Greeks should regard it seriously and take any concerns they have to the admin, instead of trying to go around the rules that have been set.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
I think it has to do with the principle. If the admin is making a concerted effort to improve Chico Greek culture, and has set the Greek Community on a probation, then the terms of the probation must be followed in order to determine if GLOs should continue to exist at Chico, as per his earlier statements.

He can't help them if they're going to violate the terms of the probation. If they won't follow these guidelines (which have been set up with a defined purpose, even if not immediately apparent to the collegian members), then it is clear the Greeks don't want to improve the existing situation.

So if the local violates the all-group probation, and the university takes no action, then it is incentive for the rest to ignore the terms of probation and do their own thing, too. I think admin acted appropriately.

I don't have it in for the Chico system-- I think the admin is recognzing that the current climate is not healthy for students and they want to take steps to fix this. I hope the Chico Greek system can be rehabilitated and emerge stronger-- with good Greek-admin relations as a result of this probation. All the Greeks should regard it seriously and take any concerns they have to the admin, instead of trying to go around the rules that have been set.

Co-sign

As much as we don't like certain rules (and I will be the first to admit that I don't like all the rules) BUT they are there for a reason. And once you get over the resentment of the rules you realize that they are put in place for a reason, whether you agree with them or not.

And it's just like I'm teaching my kids every day, you break the rules then you suffer the consequences. And I don't wanna sound mean, but that is something you start to learn in kindergarten. College students should know better.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-31-2005, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Isn't Alpha Chi a Christian sorority?
No they've been at Chico since 1918, here is a history link

The edit button has become my new best friend