GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,078
3 members and 1,075 guests
John, Xidelt

Old 12-10-2004, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Your family members rockin your letters

I mentioned a story a while back about my mom wearing my letters. but I'll start a new thread about this shiznizzles bizzles.

i'm not sure how it works with other Fraternities but in Pike, our mothers, sisters, fiance, wife(s) jk, daughters, chapter dreamgirls (if they have one...P-town does) are allowed to wear our letters.

well now that it is winter season, my mom is rockin my letters like it is no other and this shit pumps me up, a whole lot man! When I see my mom wearing my letters, I say ....yyyyyeeeah momma, you rock that Pi K A baybeh! man, she goes to the gym, the bank, work, and the beach sportin the Pi K A.

funny story. one time my mom went to las vegas and was sportin the Pi K A and she says a huge tall black man came up to her and asked her " if her husband was a Pike". she said no, but my son is....well my mom comes home and goes, " man this huge black man, he must have been 7 foot tall came up to me and told me to tell you Horsey Grant said eye eye kappa alpha? "

and i go..".MOM! That is Horace Grant! and he said phi phi kappa alpha! "

anyways my sister, she likes wearing my Pike shirts, especially the funny ones with sexual enuendos. it seems like after every rush i am just handing my rush shirts over to her.

anyways. i came back home to huntington tonight and i see a set of new Pi K A letters laying on my bed. and my mom says, " a gift for my baby, the graduating senior....anyways, it is getting cold. can i wear it?"

are any of you like me where you get a smile when you see your family wearing your letters?
Old 12-10-2004, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was aa freshman in college I loved to wear my big brothers letters. He is 4 years older than me and so he was getting ready to graduate and I knew a lot of his friends...but I loved how the younger members of his fraternity who didn't really know me would always wonder who this girl was wearing their letters on campus. Anyway, it was a great converstation starter and I met a lot of friends this way. I also like to think that it helped me get my foot in the door to sorority life!
Old 12-11-2004, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I didn't wear my brother's letters, but we went to the same college. I was in a local and he was in an asian interest. I din't see him that much though. But when ever I met one of his bros, I would mention that my brother was in thier fraternity. They'd be like, "Oh, who?" I'd tell them, and they'd say, "No way! You're Billy's little sister??!!" So, whenever we did socials or if I saw any of them , they'd always call me Billy's little sister instead of Liz.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

That is so sweet about your mom! When I grow up, I'm going to be a super-supporter-of all things Greek mom!

My parents have shirts from homecoming/parents weekend which they proudly wear!
Old 12-11-2004, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisigduchesscv
I actually had shirts made for my parents.

For my mom I was originally going to have the stiched greek letters with mom written across the letters. When I got to the store I ended up deciding to have mom in the greek letters and Phi Sigma Sigma embroidered below it. The funny part was the greek store was going to try to charge me $10 extra per letter since they "weren't greek letters", just M O and M. I was like no way.....and said okay then put Mu Omicron Mu letters on the shirt instead. It took them a couple minutes to figure out that it still spelled mom using "greek letters". Mom's shirt turned out nice, it was a black sweatshirt, and the letters were done in a pink material with the breast cancer ribbons on it since my mom is a survivor. The shirt looks great - I ended up getting a Phi Sig letters shirt done up for me with the same colors and materials.

For dad I had a polo shirt embroidered over the pocket area with the Greek Letters and Dad below it.

They both like their shirts a lot.

IG - CKA
Vice Archon - So. LA County Alumnae Chapter
Old 12-11-2004, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
heh, well, my grandfather is an initiated member of a fraternity at U Penn (no idea which one, he doesn't talk about it, never mentioned letters or a badge or anything, although I'm sure he has them somewhere) and he is a social member of Phi Kappa Tau at Bethany College (Phi Chapter) . He donates $$ to Phi Tau and Bethany, and all of his friends are Phi Taus from Bethany and they are his war buddies. He was proud as punch when my brother joined the SAME CHAPTER. My brother has never given my mom any letters to wear.I know she'd love a mother's pin too. Come to think of it, I've never SEEN him in sewed on letters, mainly because his girlfriend wears them all the time.

I bought my brother a pair of skull and crossbone letters (with a yellow background on a black shirt) for christmas because he was jealous of my skull and crossbone on red on black shirt. So we'll be very similar to eachother. Although mine have a much deeper meaning, but his are similar to the Pittsburgh Pirate colors . If he gave me a phi tau shirt to wear, I'd wear it, but I think that those are kept under wraps.

I don't think that my chapter lets our moms/sisters wear our letters, it's never come up. I'd love to make my mom a (letter letter) mom shirt.

Last edited by PhoenixAzul; 12-11-2004 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to _Opi_
If that isn't the cutest thing I've eva heard.........
Old 12-11-2004, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I use to wear my mom's Kappa letters when I was younger. Mostly just to sleep in.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

My mom wears her Mother's Day tee shirt, and my dad wears his Family Day sweatshirt during the winter.......I wish they would wear them more......
Old 12-13-2004, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

My little sister wore my letters once. I had to beat her ass for perpin'.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
My little sister wore my letters once. I had to beat her ass for perpin'.
My roommate wore my letters once!
Old 12-13-2004, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
when I went on my trip to the south, it was chilly in Birmingham the day we were there. We were walking around outside, and the little girl (about 3 i think?) that was with us (Daughter of a staff member on the trip) looked like she was FREEZING. So I took my letter shirt off and put it on her. Great thing was that her mom was an alumn of my org! So cute.

When I was coaching rowing this summer, we had to take one of the girls out of the boat and I had to row in her place. It was FREEZING on the water that day, and I had left my homecoming hoodie in the launch, so she put it on to stay warm. I joked that she had to become a sister someday, she was pretty cool anyways !
Old 12-13-2004, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

The chapter I advise always makes my little girl (shes 4) a t-shirt in her size when they order new ones...the ones in good taste of course. She looks too cute in her little matching shirt.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:54 PM
ADPiZXalum

My dad wore one of my take a date shirts one time.........it was so funny, it had a little boy and little girl on the back and I just had to make fun of him for it.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

My younger brother was in highschool when I pledged, and he used to swipe my mixer t-shirts and wear them to school every day! He also stole a DZ-Camp Jimmy Buffett hat I was given by the chapter @ BGSU when I was a consultant, and wore it until it was stolen from him when he was in college.... I thought it was cute...I never wore his ATO letters, though...I was "too old" for them once he joined.