GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,098
1 members and 1,097 guests
No Members online

Old 05-02-2001, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via AIM to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via Yahoo to Katey Alpha Gam
Question The Syracuse three???

The other day I was talking to someone I work with and they go "oh I'm Gamma Phi Beta, we are both part of the Syracuse three" Now, has anyone else ever heard us called part of the Syracuse three, referring to gamma phi beta, alpha phi and us??? I haven't but she said her chapter has said it before

------------------
Katey, ZA chapter of AGD
"Could I have been anyone other than me?"-Dave Matthews
Old 05-02-2001, 03:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I have. As in we were all founded there, I think. But I only heard it said by a much older alum that I met awhile back at Walmart (I don't normally wear my event shirts there, but I was in a rush). We got to talking about international reunion day and I was saying I thought it would be cool if you could go to the Alpha chapter for it and then... anyways, that is where I heard it!
Old 05-02-2001, 03:55 AM
Unregistered-

I've heard about the Syracuse Three from one of the older alumnae, who...ironically, spoke about it at our IRD this year. She's from the East Coast so she's familiar with that term. I've heard about the Longwood Four and the Miami Triad...but I've hardly ever heard about the Syracuse Three.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if our Centennial Celebration in 2004 is held at the Alpha Chapter at Syracuse?
Old 05-02-2001, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Since we had all three member groups of the Syracuse Triad on our campus, we held an annual Triad Tea. Each year the hosting honor would rotate to a different chapter. It was a fun event, great for inter-sorority unity, and the other groups were always jealous that they didn't have an extra-special Greek bond like that.
Old 05-02-2001, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

We have an annual block party with the other two sororities on our street, KD and Sigma Kappa. It's a lot of fun. The four other sororities on the other street never do anything together so I think it makes a little more unity amongst us!
Old 05-02-2001, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AGD4life
Talking

It's true. It was in the Quarterly about 3 or 4 years ago. I think it's still on the AGD website with the Badge on the cover. One of the girls who help found Alpha Phi left and with Dr. Coddy help found Gamma Phi Beta. A few years later Dr. Coddy approached Marguerite to have some of her friends establish Alpha Gamma Delta.
Old 05-14-2001, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via AIM to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via Yahoo to Katey Alpha Gam
I think it is really cool!! I just wish we had them on campus so we could do something with them!!!

------------------
Katey, ZA chapter of AGD
Old 06-03-2001, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Alright, since AGD, G Phi B, and Alpha Phi were all founded at Syracuse with the help of Dr. C, I got curious as to how close if at all our founding are. I went on to the other sororities' national sites and, as much as we complain about our national site not being the most modern, our navigation is set up much better. I didn't really find too many similarities and I found that kinda suprising. Any thoughts?
Old 06-04-2001, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

OK here's what I think it was. I think Dr. C asked the founders what they wanted in their sorority and went from there. I'm sure that they all had different ideas of how they wanted theirs to work so they had different stuff in their sorority, like taking into account trends of the day, founders personalities and likes and dislikes, etc... Plus seeing as we are the youngest of the three, I'm sure that there were some things that maybe we might have had the same but they were already taken by the other two??? Just a thought

------------------
Katey, ZA chapter of AGD
Old 06-06-2001, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

As I understand it, Dr. Coddington make suggestions to the founders as to what the motto and symbolism could be. IIRC he was a professor of philosophy (or theology?) so he would have a good knowledge of the classics. He was a member of Eta Kappa Nu and the Eclectic fraternity (at Wesleyan, I think), so he'd have had experience with a ritual.

I am sure that the ideals are similar, because they are for all the NPC groups. (You can deduce that by reading their creeds, mission statements, and statements of incorporation.)

The article in the Q that the previous poster referred to also talked about the shape of the badge. It's interesting to note that most of those founded in the northeast (relatively speaking) have monogram badges--AGD, GPhiB, APhi, Sig Kap, Theta Phi Alpha, AOPi, AEPhi. (Exception: DDD, SDT, DPhiE, PhiSig.)

Those founded in the midwest have emblem badges: DZ, KKG, PiPhi, AXiD, AChiO, Theta.
(exception: AST)

Those founded in the south have shield badges: ZTA, Tri-Sig, KD, ASA, Phi Mu, ADPi.

Old 06-06-2001, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
that's really cool AGDAlum, thanks!
Old 06-06-2001, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Oops, forgot two. But they're exceptions --both founded in the south -- Chi O is a monogram and DG is an emblem.

Old 08-18-2001, 03:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

The "Syracuse Triad" is actually one of the great stories in the history of Greek-letter organizations. It is probably the most important triad in terms of sororities.

The Alpha Gam Quarterly has a fascinating article about it located at:
http://www.alphagammadelta.org/sum981.html

I am an Alpha Phi at Texas Tech and I love the idea of a "Triad Tea." Unfortunately, we lack the Alpha Gam portion of the triangle!

I have a special place in my heart for Alpha Gams and Gamma Phis. I think your "Quarterly" writer, Margaret Knights Hultsch, said it wonderfully:

"The monogram pins [of Alpha Phi, Alpha Gamma Delta, and Gamma Phi] are practically indistinguishable until you get your nose in her bosom. We can see that. They are all the superimposed Greek letters, which, by the way, distinguishes most fraternities founded in the East from those founded in the West or South, which generally have emblem badges.

But just to be sure, next time you see a Gamma Phi Beta or an Alpha Phi, give a wink. We may all be sisters under the badge."

"Cheers" to all the Alpha Gams out there and good luck in Recruitment 2001!

Fraternally,
Jen
Alpha Phi @ Texas Tech University http://www.ttu.edu/~alphaphi

Old 08-18-2001, 04:42 AM
Unregistered-

Smile

Jen,

Thank you so much for posting that link to that beautiful article. I had visited the IHQ website many times, but unfortunately I had been unable to read the articles from the Quarterly.

Prior to reading that article, I hadn't even thought about our badge similarities! It's something that our sororities can truly be proud of.

Here's to the Syracuse Triad!

------------------
A single seed...becomes a Rose of incredible beauty.

A single grain of sand...becomes a Pearl of great worth.

A single great idea...becomes a Century of success.

Go Alpha Gam!
Old 08-18-2001, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Just south of Atlanta, several groups are forming the Atlanta Southern Crescent Panhellenic Council..the brainchild of a Gamma Phi Beta (every time someone says Gamma Phi, I think of AGD Gamma Phi (Georgia Tech!). We are having a party on the 26th to celebrate being installed into NPC.

I've emailed her this website. I think it's a cool connection!

BTW, Sandy, finally looked at your updated website. I think I missed seeing your group at Convention with the white AGD tee-shirts and colorful skirts..very cute! Was that the 1st night?