GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,549
3 members and 1,546 guests
amIblue?, JayhawkAOII, southernbuff

Old 09-12-2013, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

RE: Tri Delta President Comment on Alabama News Article

There is a long thread regarding membership selection at the University of Alabama in the NPC sororities. The following is a synopsis of a statement by Phyllis Grissom, Delta Delta Delta President, released today. President Grissom was initiated at the SMU Tri Delta chapter.

We are aware of the situation reported in the Alabama student newspaper. It is absolutely against our values and policies. Both collegians and alumnae members take this very seriously. Additionally, we expect alumnae and advisors to represent the fraternity's position in a professional manner at all times and in accordance with our fraternity governing documents.

The Executive Office has already begun an investigation into the serious allegations.

September 12, 2013
Old 09-12-2013, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope it is truly an investigation....all nationals have an opportunity here to show some real leadership.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if a national would go so far as to revoke the membership of alumnae as a consequence.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
I wonder if a national would go so far as to revoke the membership of alumnae as a consequence.
Reading my mind, was wondering the same thing. If they did that would send a helluva message.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I also wonder if the administration of the University has any power in the situation. For example, could they investigate or take action against any of the chapters? Or are the HQs the only ones who could do this because it involved membership selection?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
I also wonder if the administration of the University has any power in the situation. For example, could they investigate or take action against any of the chapters? Or are the HQs the only ones who could do this because it involved membership selection?

I have read other posts that say the university owns the land the houses are on and leases it back to the houses as well as provides cheap financing to build their houses.....state school getting tax revenue, it seems some lawyer could make a case that the university can step in and prohibit discriminatory practices or they can't use tax payer money....just a thought.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, then, what do you do about the Baptist Student Union, the Catholic Newman Center, etc, etc????? the Catholics won't let anyone but Catholics take communion. Are you doing to toss them off campus? What about Christian fraternities and sororities?
Old 09-12-2013, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

It would be VERY dangerous to start getting colleges involved in membership selection. I have every confidence that Delta Delta Delta will, for a number of reasons, take this VERY seriously and address it.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I would not be surprised if ALL the NPC groups at Alabama, not just the ones named, do not do some investigation.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Chi Omega has a similar statement prominently placed on their national website.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
^^Wow, yeah, good for Chi O, it's up there front and center. All 4 of the orgs put on blast in the article should have SOMEthing on their homepages to at least acknowledge their awareness of and seriousness with which they take the situation. HINT HINT the 2 orgs that have absolutely nothing on their pages at the moment.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd say that all NPC groups with chapters at Bama should do so.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Pi Beta Phi has said something:

Quote:
"Pi Beta Phi leadership has begun investigation the allegations in The Crimson White article," wrote Pi Beta Phi grand president Paula Shepherd in an email. "If any of those allegations are found to be true, those members, alumna or collegiate, will be held accountable for their actions."

Shepherd also wrote that the decision to extend membership rests with the chapters, but that the organization is open to all.

"Pi Beta Phi Fraternity is a values-based organization and does not discriminate in its membership selection practices on the basis of race, religious affiliation, national origin, handicapped status or sexual orientation," Shepherd wrote. "Nor, will Pi Beta Phi tolerate such discrimination by its members."
When you decide to GO GREEK
!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I'd say that all NPC groups with chapters at Bama should do so.

Personally, I would love to know why my own org didn't enthusiastically pursue a witty, articulate, intelligent, honor-laden, gorgeous PNM whose grandpa was a freaking TRUSTEE of the university. She should have had a full invite list.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
Personally, I would love to know why my own org didn't enthusiastically pursue a witty, articulate, intelligent, honor-laden, gorgeous PNM whose grandpa was a freaking TRUSTEE of the university. She should have had a full invite list.
I suspect that many of the collegians KNEW this was going to explode. This woman's connections are too important to ignore. There was no way that this was going to end quietly. This is on the heels of the professor whose wife lost her election bid to a Machine backed candidate and wrote that letter a short time ago.