GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,525
0 members and 1,525 guests
No Members online

Old 04-30-2002, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Best States

As I get closer to graduation, I'm looking to head out somewhere else and try something new. Since we are all pretty scattered around the country, I want to know what some of the best places to live are in the country and what makes them so special....?
Old 04-30-2002, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I live in KY and there are a lot of reasons I would never live anywhere else.
First, you get to see all the seasons very distinctively. Like when you are a kid and you see a picure representing the seasons, they could have been taken in KY.
Also, there is a lot of beautiful land here. KY has more navigable waterways than any state in the US. There are lakes and rivers that you can go to anytime and enjoy, which is almost as fun as the beach!
We have a lot of history. I was born and raised in the northern part of KY in Louisville and now I go to school in the almost most southern part of KY in Bowling Green. There is such a change in traditions just by passingover the mason dixon line that runs through the middle of our state.
The people here are friendly. Louisville was voted the city most likely to give a stranger change for a dollar and KY has the best rest areas in the US according to AAA.
I love living here because if you want to go party, there are plenty of places to do that, if you want to relax, people in the south don't get into the hustle and bustle of life, we like to enjoy ourselves.
And, according to my friends from NY, Wisconsin and Michigan we have more beautiful women per capita than any place they have ever been. HAHAHA!! Too bad I can't say the same for the men!
I don't think I would ever want to live anywhere else. I plan on raising my family here someday, whenever I have one.

Facebook
Old 04-30-2002, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

South Louisiana (and I mean New Orleans and its 'burbs, Baton Rouge is a nasty rural cow-town craphole) is nice for a few reasons:

1.) Its very easy to be smart here. There's so much ignorance, and just plain stupidity, you don't have to try very hard to be good at what you do.

2.) The scenery. Its absolutely beautiful in the New Orleans area, especially on the Northshore - lots of trees, rivers, lakes.

3.) Its a fun place to live. Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, and a host of other festivals make it tons of fun. Plus, a lot of the people are just really fun - we like to have a good time.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:57 PM

Boston is awesome. I miss Boston.

NYC is also awesome, but the cost of living is phenomenally high.

I live in Connecticut... nice place if you like peace and quiet and don't mind deer and wild turkeys running around in your backyard. I'm within shouting distance of NYC, too, which is a plus. Again, though, the cost of living is pretty high.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Annapolis, Maryland is a great place to live. We have the distinct seasons, but the winter is never especially brutal. We're an hour from Baltimore as well as D.C. and an hour and a half from Rehoboth Beach, Delaware or, if you're more adventurous, Ocean City, Maryland.

Lots of good shopping!

If you're into boating, there's no place better to live in my opinion.

Moderate cost of living unless you live right on the water.

Good economy.

Friendly people.

Can you tell I love it here?

Close runner-up is Portland, Maine, where my oldest daughter was born. It is the perfect miniature of a bigger city with the sports, culture, shopping, good restaurants, ect...but not the crime and high prices. It is unbelievably cheap up there! Right before my husband got transferred down here to Maryland we were about to close on a 3 bedroom home with hardwood floors, two car garage, enclosed porch, french doors in all the downstairs rooms, stained glass in the windows and within walking distance of the beach for $89,000

Good luck in your search!
Old 04-30-2002, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, what kind of place are you looking for?

I'm living in Seattle and I love it. It's a great place if you like the outdoors (no snow in winter, mild sunny summers, hiking and kayaking and the ocean and camping and skiing all very close by). But if you want people who know how to dress and really happening night life, well, don't move to Seattle. People around here, when they want to dress up, they put on their "good" fleece jacket. And it's a very unfriendly city to outsiders. Not rude, just impenetrable. Everyone I know around here is a recent arrival; locals stick together.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I read the thread pretty quickly, but I think I've been to everywhere mentioned at least once. We've lived in Ohio, Maryland, Wisconsin and Michigan. Have also been to many other places on business or vacations.

All have good points.

Among all, though, I like Denver where we've lived for the past 20 years.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chopper816
nebraska!!!! more specifically omaha. some people complain about it, but omaha has everything you need. its a really nice place to live and a lot is happening in the city. id rather live here than places like los angeles or new york.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Definitely not Ohio...see thread titled "Why does Ohio suck?"
Old 05-01-2002, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
New York is a great state! New York City is expensive, but you get what you pay for. Actually there are neighborhoods outside of Manhattan that are less expensive.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi everyone.... I'm a long time reader, first time poster here on GC! I currently live in Connecticut and love it. Like AEPhialum said, its a quick drive down to NYC and a few hours to Boston. Gotta agree that the cost of living can be outrageous in places, though. Otherwise, there is some beautiful scenery, nice beaches, and fun hotspots
Old 05-01-2002, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Austin is awesome

Hootie, I have to disagree ()as most of my friends own there own house and I own my condo. I love Texas and cannot imagine living anywhere else. I did not like San Antonio where I grew up but Austin is awesome. I hate cold weather and we don't have much of a winter usually which is just fine with me. Austin is beautiful-we have nice parks, lake and the music scene (music capital of the world is our motto). I have to admit though it can be expensive and pay is lower here for some industries. People are so friendly here and you don't have to dress up to go out like in Dallas or Houston. It is a very casual city.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:45 AM
Unregistered-

Thumbs up

Hawaii. Paradise is my backyard. Paradise isn't necessarily the weather...nor is it the scenery. It's the aloha you feel every day. 'Nuff said.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Totally chicago (illinois if youre talking states, haha) is the place to be... for younger adults - the northside is the place to be - so much going on there - you have one of the biggest cities in the US and all of it's perks at your fingertips - chicago is a gorgeous gorgeous city and there is so much to do - lake michigan is right there, youre an hour away from michigan, indiana, and wisconsin - chicago has those great midwest values, awesome food, great people, lots of sports - however, if youre used to year-round warm weather, i would stay away from chicago or anywhere up north. i love this city though...

Old 05-01-2002, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Chicago is very cool

Too bad this is just about states because Ontario is better than any state listed so far.