GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,466
2 members and 1,464 guests
LaneSig

Old 03-16-2000, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink Any advice for a perspective Rho Chi?

Rho Chi applications will be due soon. Can anyone let me know the pros/cons of being one? I've wanted to do it since I've joined eventhough I didn't go through formal rush. None of the girls in my house have been one so I can't just ask a sister. And disaffiliating won't be that bad since I don't get to spend time with my sisters in the summer anyhow.

What kind of things do they ask during the interviews? What kind of girls are they looking for?

Thanks for your help. I'm much more nervous about this than I ever was about rush!
Old 03-17-2000, 10:55 AM
Molly B

Rho Chis are ambassadors of Greek Life and confidantes to prospective members. The main quality sought is enthusiasm about Greek Life in general. Other things that they look for are leadership qualities, excellent communication skills, and compassion. The interviewers will ask you many open-ended questions like "What would you do if…?". To be prepared, you should be versed in the policies of NPC (or your group's main policy body), your college Panhellenic, your sorority, and your school.

The pros definitely outweigh the cons, but the cons can really get to you. For example, telling a prospective of your group that she has been cut from Recruitment or that she did not receive a bid. Another thing is listening to a prospective bad mouth certain chapters, yours in particular. Here is where your skills in diplomacy and anger management come into play.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-18-2000, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
The hardest part would be keeping an objective opinion. This is also the best part because being a Rho Chi means that you support Greek Life to the fullest - it is more important to you to promote Greek Life as a whole, rather than one specific chapter.

It can be very rewarding and a lot of hard work, but it is very much worth it.

Keep a postitive attitude, research NPC and campus regs regarding Rush and be enthusiastic.

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.

Old 12-31-2000, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I know I was a Rho Chi last year and it was a blast!! The Pros definitely outweigh the cons, but you have to be that type of person...I know a lot of members in other sororties so I really didn't feel left out. I am also someone who is really a Greek Life recruiter naturally, and wouldn't influence them to go to my chapter. I want everyone to go where they are comfortable.

It is very hard when the potential members talk about your group, but you also learn from what they say...And maybe you can change your group! I got even closer with other members or sororities which was really cool b/c you learn a lot from other greeks especially ones that aren't in your group.

I was asked a lot of hypothetical questions...They weren't hard, but I also know a lot of Panhellenic info because I have been a delegate for two years...

Being a Rho Chi is definitely a great expereince. I felt a very close connection to the new members in each group that year, and still keep in touch with some of them.

One thing that was hard for me was going back to my own group...You sometimes feel completely separated from your group because you see them making mistakes and you can't say anything.