GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,160
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,276
1 members and 1,275 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 06-15-2003, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The_Nash
Are you a legacy?

I was thinking about legacies the other day and was wondering how many people who are legacies actually join the fraternity/sorority that they are a legacy at.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I wasn't a legacy to a GLO, but my cousin was in my chapter when I pledged (I guess you'd call that a connection). Her sister wasn't a Kappa, so my cousin didn't go where she was a legacy.

These are the possible choices:

1. Pledged legacy GLO;
2. Didn't pledge because you released legacy GLO;
3. Didn't pledge because legacy GLO released you;
4. Didn't pledge because legacy GLO not on campus.

Are there any other choices?
Old 06-15-2003, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
My mom was a Delta Gamma.

I'm a Delta Gamma! Yay! We have 5 DG legacies in my chapter...which is pretty good for my school!

My mom was there at my initiation to put my pin on! It was awesome!

My aunt is also a DG.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by exlurker
Dependning on how you're using the term "released," there could be another possibility, I think:
* Didn't pledge legacy sorority -- ranked it #2 or #3 after preference parties and got bid from chapter ranked as #1 or #2.
(That's assuming "released" is used to mean "cut before preference.")
I knew there would be more possibilities! I did mean "cut before pref." If a legacy is invited to a legacy GLO pref, then the choice is hers, so in that instance, she basically released the legacy GLO. I thought of another one. If the legacy ranked the legacy GLO #2 and didn't get a bid from #1, quite possibly she could go bidless on Bid Day.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to docetboy Send a message via Yahoo to docetboy
I am a double legacy of Phi Kappa Tau and a legacy of Alpha Epsilon Pi, but neither house had a chapter at my school.

Old 06-15-2003, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
I'm not a legacy. Where I go to school, there aren't many legacies that go through. But, when one does, you take notice.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a legacy in phi mu but I chose not to accept the bid. I just wasn't comfortable at the parties. My cousin is an Alpha Sigma Tau and if my school had a chapter of AST I might have considered them.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:10 PM
That1LoudChick

My Friend's Story

My friend is a DSQ and SGR legacy (her mom is a DSQ and her cousin is a SGR), but she chose to rush ZFB because she felt that the sororities where she was a legacy weren't for her. I always tease her about it saying things like "You just had to work for your bid, didn't you?" She has yet to receive a bid from ZFB, but from the way things seems to be going, it's only a matter of time.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a question about legacies...we always say that if your mom, grandmother or aunt was in that soroity, you're a legacy...but it is possible that a niece could be older then her aunt...if the niece gets a bid...does the aunt become a legacy?
Old 06-15-2003, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
I have a question about legacies...we always say that if your mom, grandmother or aunt was in that soroity, you're a legacy...but it is possible that a niece could be older then her aunt...if the niece gets a bid...does the aunt become a legacy?
Good question...similiarly, I'm a GFB who wants her mother and aunt to consider AI. Are they legacies?
Old 06-16-2003, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Good question...similiarly, I'm a GFB who wants her mother and aunt to consider AI. Are they legacies?
Technically, they wouldn't be (we spell it out on the rec form) but it also doesn't matter at the AI level...............
Old 06-16-2003, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I am a Sigma Kappa legacy through my mom and a Delta Zeta legacy through my grandmother. Sigma Kappa isn't on my campus and I didn't find out about my grandmother being in DZ until after I joined Phi Mu so I don't know if it would have helped me during rush (I COBed)
Old 06-16-2003, 03:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
I doubt it. In fact, I think that in many organizations, you aren't considered a legacy if your aunt was an XYZ -- only if your mother, grandmother or sister was (plus stepmoms/stepsisters if they choose). For Tri Delta (at least according to our national website), only daughters and sisters are to be considered legacies.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MSKKG
If the legacy ranked the legacy GLO #2 and didn't get a bid from #1, quite possibly she could go bidless on Bid Day.
Not unless she suicided #1 (which is, in effect, releasing #2, her legacy GLO). In most NPC sororities (including AEPhi) all legacies who come to pref automatically go on the first bid list, so if the legacy listed #1 then #2 on her pref card and didn't match to #1, she'd match to #2.

Another possibility for the guys: You got a bid from your legacy fraternity but decided to accept a bid from a different org.

Anyway - I'm the first in my family to go greek, and no one in my husband's family has gone greek (aside from a couple of them joining professional fraternities) - so any daughters I have will be AEPhi legacies, and any sons I have won't be legacies anywhere.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
Not unless she suicided #1 (which is, in effect, releasing #2, her legacy GLO). In most NPC sororities (including AEPhi) all legacies who come to pref automatically go on the first bid list, so if the legacy listed #1 then #2 on her pref card and didn't match to #1, she'd match to #2.
What if the legacy GLO meets quota? How can the legacy then get a bid? If quota is 20 and the legacy didn't match with the 1st bid list, then, assuming she is the only one of the 20, #21 (the 1st one after the quota break) would be offered a bid. If she accepts the bid, then legacy GLO has filled quota.