GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 851
0 members and 851 guests
No Members online

Old 02-03-2005, 03:22 AM
GreekChat Member

help with a rush dilemma

I am a new member to this board and I have been planning on going through spring informal recruitment at my large, non-southern school. During my brief collegiate tenure, I have met many girls from each sorority and I made a list of my top choices and tried to get recommendations for them from alumna members. Even though recruitment has not began yet, I attended an information fair today and met members from each of the recruiting sororities. Unfortunately, I discovered that my top two choices aren't recruiting and I'm quite disheartened. Also, I really didn't feel like I fit in very well with any of the other sororities currently recruiting (there are several). I met a member of the high council of my choice #1 sorority today and I was very impressed with her, although she told me that her sorority was not recruiting at the time. I'm really not sure what to do though; should I still go through rush even though two of the ones I really want are not taking new members? Should I go through and just drop out and wait until next fall if I don't feel like I fit with the other houses? I would appreciate any advice or guidance anyone here can give me.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi, welcome to GC! My suggestion to you would be to check out the others! My opinion, you don't know whether you're a good fit for those that are recruiting unless you rush and take the time to get to know them! Who knows? You could find a wonderful sorority home in any of these other groups. I certainly wouldn't want you to miss out on them just because they weren't your "absolute favorites". There are alot of women on this site who ended up finding a home in a group that they almost overlooked b/c it wasn't at the top of their list before recruitment. So YES, please check out the other sororities, you never know what you could be missing. Good luck!

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

rushee123...you never know what's there until you try.
if nothing else, you will get to meet some new girls. but perhaps, you will find a home. if not, you can still rush in the fall.
so there's no loss.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

yeah

what jocelyn said. no harm. no foul to check out the others and give them a chance. you don't have to accept a bid if you don't want to.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for the welcome and your advice. I had an info meeting tonight and I've decided I'm going to participate in rush (starts tomorrow!) I'm not anticipating joining anything this semester, but I think it's probably as good a time as any to scope out the houses. I would hate to wait until next fall and find out that I don't like my first two choices at all and end up pledging a house I could pledge this semester. Soo...I'm going to seven (I think) parties tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
Just remember to keep an open mind. Going into recruitment I did not know a thing about Alpha Gam and had never talked to any of them. But after going through 1 or 2 rounds, i knew that they were the place for me. So while your top 2 may not be participating now, you may find a hidden gem int hat group of sororoties participating.

i wish you the best of luck during recruitment.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

ditto ditto...keep your eyes and heart wide open and have some fun.
best of luck!
Old 02-06-2005, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
I think your doing the right thing, I think there are a good number of us on GC who never thought we would end up where we did, myself included. Good luck and keep us updated!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 02-06-2005, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Good luck--I think you made the best decision, too! Before I went through rush I thought for sure that I would want to join the sorority I was a legacy to, but after I got a chance to check out the other groups I changed my mind. You never know!
Old 02-06-2005, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

good for you for having such a great attitude about recruitment!

you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. good luck!
Old 02-07-2005, 04:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I went through rush this weekend. Right now I'm still too tired to go into the nitty gritty details, but I decided not to rank after all the parties although I did put my name down on a COB list. On the first day, I felt that I really fit in well with three houses in particular. I was devastated to find out on the second day that the first two cut me! The second day I really felt good about the third house, but I was very upset that one of the ones from the day before had cut me (I felt like I had fit in so well there!) and I was a little bothered by the fact that I wasn't able to explore all of my options during spring recruitment. Ultimately, I feel that I might end up COBing my third choice house from recruitment if they do COB.
I'm very glad I went through with recruitment though. I definitely got a whole new prospective from all the houses that I couldn't have gotten just from seeing the girls around campus. I met some awesome people and I'll keep you posted as to what goes on.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

rushing

i am sorry that you were not invited back to two of your favorites, but am glad that you gave informal recruitment a try and did put your name on the cob list. you might consider this a "training session"-you have one recruitment under your belt, and with your experience, if you go thru fall recruitment, you will have a leg up on the first timers!!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

COB

I have a question regarding COB. There are a few chapters on campus that have contacted me and want me to go to their events. Am I obligated to go to their events? If I'm not, what should I say if I don't want to go? I feel it might be rude to tell them that I'm not interested and I don't want them to take it personally since they are all nice girls. I'm still trying to be open-minded about all the chapters, but one of them is a faith-based local I didn't fit in with at all and another one is having some internal problems, so to speak. They have both invited me to COB events and I wasn't sure if I was required to go or if it's optional.
Thank you all so much for everything!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

COB is optional and you can simply decline politely. A kind "Thank you very much for the invitation but I'm not interested." COB takes a lot of time and effort and I think most chapters would rather have someone who is not at all interested turn them down than to come and "lead them on" so to speak.

Dee
Old 02-08-2005, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

continue to keep your eyes and heart open and see what happens.
don't go unless you really want to. but do communicate with the houses.