GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,201
2 members and 1,199 guests
KatieKate1244, PGD-GRAD

Old 02-09-2003, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaZetaWSU
Question Formal Recruitment Budgets

I'm running the show this fall for formal recruitment on an NPC level. I want to promote Greek life and formal recruitment as much as possible, but here is my problem...
... We have 4 NPC sororities, and NO MONEY in our panhel account. We collect dues from the sororities, but it isn't enough to do some of the things I want for the fall. Even things as simple as ad's in our campus newspaper - DON'T HAVE THE MONEY FOR

We tried panhellenic car washes last summer to raise money for Panhel... but no one would commit and you would have panhel e/b there the entire time. What are some ways that your panhellenic covers the cost of formal recruitment? I want to send out a mailing to all incoming freshmen, but POSTAGE is expensive! Does anyone have creative ways around this???

THANKS!!
Old 02-09-2003, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe some schools charge a small registration fee for PNM's participatin in formal recruitment, although this would probably turn some people off from rushing. At my school, there's no 'registration fee' before recruitment, but afterwards, if you join a house you pay a $30 panhellenic fee which I believe goes towards the next year's formal recruitment.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaZetaWSU
The Dean of Students office on our campus has paid for things that our $10 registration fee paid for... so now we don't have to charge the PM's....which I think is a definite plus. A lot of girls can be turned away by the fact that there is a fee. But we still have all of these expenses that we can't seem to get away from.... postage.... shirt making fees.... blah blah blah, the list goes on and on. The $30 fee makes sense, but that's a lot more on top of the fees they already have to pay as new members.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Xi AOPi
Talking

Our Panhellenic held an annual sand volleyball tournament to raise money for recruitment. All the sororities and fraternities would participate. There was a fee to play and spectators had to pay to get in. It was awesome on all levels, it was great PR for Greek Life, promoted Greek unity, and raised enough money to get Pan through formal recruitment.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I like the idea of having women pay a fee if they join a house. If each house builds it in and the house just cuts pan-hell a check, you'll get what you need.

You could see if you could include NPC brochures in the packets they send accepted students. They send all that info about housing and what not and that might be a good time to get it in. OR Freshman orientation packets, or just stands there.

Do you have houses pay pan-hell dues? can you raise it a little? or what about a fundraiser or somekind?
a new sorority just did a beauty pagent for men "Mr. Beloit" they charged to get in, Papa John's donated free pizza, they had sponsors so a ton of the crowd won stuff. they had applebees, bookstore, a few local resturants and what not. also places like coca cola and pepsi might donate.
Even do some kind of auction. We have an auction during Greek Week this year. We asked the Green Bay Packers to come, they sent us a jersey (signed?) to auction off. We are doing the same with our benefit ball coming up too.

Good Luck!
Old 02-11-2003, 01:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Contact your school's activities office. Most universities have students pay an activity fee, and maybe your NPC is entitled to some of that, as it is dispersed to student organizations.

If the other sororities are not willing to commit to fundraising for Panhel recruitment, I'd say do your own sorority publicity and they can do theirs.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to shadowstar
at our school, each girl going through formal recruitment has to pay $5, so we get some money from that. we also do pepperoni roll sales like it's our job, and we end up with tons of money from that. they are especially popular on, say, Monday Night Football nights and such. also, informational packets go out to freshmen when all of their other information goes out from the college, and Panhellenic and IFC did a presentation at freshmen orientation, which is great because it gets the word out and freshmen are required to be there. also, there may be money already in the school budget you can use. for example, we were able to use some of the budget from the Dean of Students Office to help with things like printing costs for brochures, because the Director of Greek Life was part of the D.O.S. staff.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
At my school, potentials pay a registration fee of $15 (I think, I know when I came in it was $20, but I'm pretty sure they lowered it). As far as getting money from our SGA, Panhellenic is an exclusive organization (so are all the Greek organizations) and therefore, we get no financial assistance from the school.