2 members and 1,278 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 04-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Banned

Did She Win the Lottery or Not?

DUNDUN...DUNNNNNNNNNNNNN....

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
A Maryland woman who claims to hold a winning Mega Millions ticket is refusing to show it to anyone.

"I'm so scared," Mirlande Wilson told NBC affiliate WPTV.com, as she refused to reveal her ticket. "I'm so shocked, I don't know what's going on."
When Baltimore-area resident Wilson came forward claiming she was a Mega Millions jackpot winner, her co-workers at a local McDonald's restaurant said they deserved a share of the winnings because they were part of a lottery pool

“We had a group plan, but I went and played by myself," Wilson, a single mother of seven, told the New York Post over the weekend. "[The ‘winning’ ticket] wasn’t on the group plan."
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-to-produce-it

Does she really have one of the winning lottery tickets? Is she just being an attention whore? Is she not revealing the ticket because she doesn't want to share with her coworkers? Blahzeyblah?

(I won't go on my anti-lottery rant or ask about the details behind her being a single parent with seven children.)
Old 04-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Banned

I know you all aren't too busy spending your lottery money to reply to my thread.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post

Does she really have one of the winning lottery tickets? Is she just being an attention whore? Is she not revealing the ticket because she doesn't want to share with her coworkers? Blahzeyblah?

(I won't go on my anti-lottery rant or ask about the details behind her being a single parent with seven children.)
I almost brought up the bold, but I'll follow your lead and ignore it

I've played the lottery once and it was an office pool. When we did it, there was documentation of the amount each person put in and photocopies of the tickets that were purchased. They should have done something similar if she knew she'd purchase tickets on her own -- that way, she'd be covering her own ass.

I was watching The Talk yesterday and they brought up a good point -- why not give them SOMETHING? Even if she were to give her colleagues $1 million each, that would equal ~$25-40 million, leaving her with a few hundred million leftover. I'm sure they'd appreciate that vs nothing.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know you all aren't too busy spending your lottery money to reply to my thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar_UjSjW5kw

Old 04-03-2012, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

IF she has a winning ticket, and IF the McDonald's employees were just a little bit smart about it, then they will have the ability to file a claim with the lottery commision by bringing the copy of tickets that were involved in the pool that day. Every lottery commision highly suggests that when playing in a pool, that every lottery ticket bought with group money be photo copied and distributed to each player before the drawing and that each player sign each and every packet of copies. I can completely see playing a ticket individually but you better bet I would cover my backside on that by making those copies for the group.

Now with that said, and after reading about it, I am pretty sure that didn't happen, and I am more than sure no matter what happens with that ticket and the winnings, there won't be a penny left in 5 years, if it lasts that long.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I almost brought up the bold, but I'll follow your lead and ignore it
The media is including that in her intro for a reason whether compassion or anger. Oh yeah...we aren't discussing that.

Quote:
I've played the lottery once and it was an office pool. When we did it, there was documentation of the amount each person put in and photocopies of the tickets that were purchased. They should have done something similar if she knew she'd purchase tickets on her own -- that way, she'd be covering her own ass.

I was watching The Talk yesterday and they brought up a good point -- why not give them SOMETHING? Even if she were to give her colleagues $1 million each, that would equal ~$25-40 million, leaving her with a few hundred million leftover. I'm sure they'd appreciate that vs nothing.
Do you think she's lying altogether?

As always:
The View > The Talk

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOM&ob=av2e
Old 04-03-2012, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if she's lying, but they're all dumb for not keeping better records of their transactions.

And The View is showing reruns. The Talk is not. Thus, I prefer the latter right now

Old 04-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't know if she's lying, but they're all dumb for not keeping better records of their transactions.
I agree.

Quote:
And The View is showing reruns. The Talk is not. Thus, I prefer the latter right now
Not as of yesterday. You need to keep up!!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

they showed a clip on our local news (DC area).

as they closed the segment the anchor said, "you better watch your back, lady." i completely agree. she needs to get out of B-more whether she splits the money or keeps it to herself. i can't see this ending well for anyone involved.

at any rate, i have a serious case of the shoulda coulda wouldas. I've never played lottery in my life, but last week i was *thinking* about getting a ticket. I could have won it and saved these McDonald's people some drama.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapple View Post
Every lottery commision highly suggests that when playing in a pool, that every lottery ticket bought with group money be photo copied and distributed to each player before the drawing and that each player sign each and every packet of copies.
on the news she had copies, but the reporter said he couldn't verify which tix were which as the numbers were faded. i wonder if that was done purposely, or if this is really just a case of bad to worse (for all involved).
Old 04-03-2012, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Maybe they just trusted each other? What's wrong with having trust and faith in your coworkers?
But seriously...
I was a shift manager of a McDonalds when I was in high school (16 years old yet the most responsible person there ) and from my experience with McEmployees they probably didn't have the foresight to actually track the transaction.
Quote:

LOL. If anyone needs to win the lotto it's a single mom of 7 who works at McDonalds. Just make sure the welfare is cancelled unlike that girl from MI who still received her government bennys after winning the lotto.

This should be easy to figure out. Just find out when the work lotto pool tickets were purchased. I had heard that the winning Maryland ticket was purchased on Friday an hour before the deadline and it was a single ticket purchase. If that report is accurate than her coworkers have no claim to the winnings. If someone really wanted to find out if she is bullshitting about winning in general than check the cameras at that 7-11 to see if she was there that night.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Banned

Has anyone actually seen the original lottery ticket yet to verify she has it? There's something really stinky and attention ho-ish about this story, especially since I read that the owners of the store where it was purchased are saying they thought a man brought it after matching their video with the time it sold.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Why is the news covering this if they haven't seen the ticket?

And why, if you don't want anyone to know that you have a winning ticket, would you go to the news and tell them about it on camera?

I bet this lady was just blabbing to some friends for attention, and it got to the media that she had the ticket. Now she feels stupid and is lying because she doesn't have the ticket.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
Why is the news covering this if they haven't seen the ticket?

And why, if you don't want anyone to know that you have a winning ticket, would you go to the news and tell them about it on camera?

I bet this lady was just blabbing to some friends for attention, and it got to the media that she had the ticket. Now she feels stupid and is lying because she doesn't have the ticket.
I have a feeling you're right, but what a thing to lie about. That's one that will definitely catch up with you.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

She is going to get harrassed by everyone she knows, and if I were her, I'd be worried about my safety. If I won the lottery, I'd get myself an attorney, come in and claim (with the attorney with me), and I would do the bare minimum required by law. Most states require that the name of the winner be made publicly known, but in most, maybe all, states you are not required to participate in publicity. First thing I'd do after claiming my prize would be to head out of town for a while. And I say that as someone who used to do PR for a state lottery.