GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,141
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,210
1 members and 1,209 guests
bbygrl01

Old 05-24-2003, 03:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to canadajen
Question sisterly wedding advice needed please

Hey everyone! remember me? I feel as though I've been away from here so long ... too long ... nothing like impending wedding PANIC to bring me out of the shadows ...

not MY wedding (I wish!) ...

One of our sisters [& one of my dearest friends ] is getting married next Friday (May 30th), and is the first of many sisters set to tie the knot in the next year or two. As one of the bridesmaids, I am hosting her "surprise" shower this coming Sunday (25th, 2-4:30 PM) & find myself in desperate need of some help/suggestions as to what to do at the shower ... there will be anywhere from 10-17 people there (still waiting on late RSVPs) ... aghhhh!!! .... please help (if you can)!! Based on any shower that you may have attended/planned/heard/read about ...

-- what (if any) games/ activities to do/play ??

-- should each guest receive a small token/loot bag-type thing??

-- how to handle the situation if multiple guest don't bring gifts for the bride (arising from possible confusion from the shower invitations) ??

-- what kind of decorations? [I've bought coordinated paper plates, napkins (sm & L), plastic cutlery & cups, streamers, some paper wedding bells]

?? Essentially, what can I do/incorporate to help ensure that it goes well ??

I've ordered the cake, and will be putting together all of the food platters myself tomorrow night/Sunday morning.

The other bridesmaid & a few other AGDs took care of her stagette a few weekends ago, and her (blood) sister, aka the maid of honor, can't get out of work, and the bride's mom has a conflicting appointment with the florist, and so it is up to me to get this all together by Sunday. The cake, food & invitations turned out well (with exception of gift confusion alluded to above), but that is about it so far! As you can probably tell, I'm going a little (ok - a LOT) nutty about this, and so I'm hoping some of my fellow gammies can maybe help me out someway, somehow, to throw down a great shower.

phew! sorry about the long message ~ I'm desperate, what can I say

liEP (& confusion),
~ Jen

PS - did I mention that a mother of another AGD who is getting married next month is having a surprise shower same day & almost same time, and about half guests are committed to going there?!

Last edited by canadajen; 05-24-2003 at 03:06 AM.
Old 05-24-2003, 03:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I am horrible at this. I always go running to my mom for help. And generally let her take over.

But my favorite part of a wedding shower is the bouquet made with the ribbon from the presents. In case you haven't seen this, you take a decorated paper plate, place a hole in the middle, and create a bouquet with the ribbons from the presents. And for every ribbon broken, means one child. The bride will sometimes use the bouquet at her rehearsal. Cute.

And I wouldn't worry about goodie bags. That is sweet but I can't ever remember being at a shower that had them, or they just didn't make an impression on me (therefore a waste of effort).

Relax and have a good time. Don't let this keep you up late at night. LOL.

Good Luck!!!
Old 05-24-2003, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AGDPrincess70
My mom went to a shower last weekend and she said they did some cute things:

At each place setting was a fancy piece of paper where guests could write their names and addresses. Each of these were put into a bowl and they did kind of a mini-raffle with cute girly things (and it's a good way to get addresses for thank you notes!)

They also had a "what's in your purse?" game. They called out random things like a toothbrush, tampon, red lipstick, and other things and people won little prizes for that too.

And I know you don't have much time to put tings together, but making candy from the melty disk things is always cute and classy.

You're doing a great job so far!!!! Relax and have fun!
Old 05-24-2003, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I think "Toilet Paper Wedding Gown" is a hilarious game! Sometime people get really into it and come up with great stuff!!!
Old 05-25-2003, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

One of the best (and easiest!) games I've seen at a shower was to secretly question the groom about things related to the two of them as a couple. Then, at the shower, ask the bride the same questions and see how many she gets right. For each one she gets wrong, she has to chew a piece of bubblegum -- sometimes they end up with a mouthfull!

If possible, videotape the groom's answers to play back -- but with the short timing involved here, that may not be feasible. But just have his answers recorded on a cute piece of paper so she can keep it for her scrapbook.

Some ideas for questions to ask him (could easily be done over the phone or on email -- just make sure he keeps it SECRET from her!!!) -- and obviously these would be different depending how long they've known one another and stuff:

*what elementary school did the groom go to?
*where was your first kiss?
*who first said "I love you", and where were you when it was said?
*what is the groom's favorite movie (song/actor/book/etc.) of all time?
*name all of the companies the groom has worked for/schools he attended/whatever
*what is the first restaurant you ate in as a couple?
*where was the first trip you took together?
*family questions -- naming all cousins
*what city was the groom born in?

And it can go on and on and on... about 10-15 questions is usually good, and make some of them HARD! Like "how many bones has the groom broken in his life?" or "at what age did the groom first lose a tooth?" or "what was the groom's first car?"

If appropriate for the company involved, you can even get risque/fun with some of the questions -- "what would the groom say is his favorite part of the bride's body?" or whatever. Just make sure the people there (and the bride herself!) would be okay with those types of questions.

As for the gifts, I think with enough people in the room you are okay to have her open gifts in front of everyone... but if someone specifically says something to you as the hostess about it (uncomfortable about the confusion or whatever), then it may be best skipped. Just make an announcement that for the sake of time, she'll open them later -- you could even offer if people *want* to stay around and watch, they can. But have a definite ending time for the shower, and if people linger to watch, cool. Otherwise they have an excuse to go ahead and leave if they're uncomfortable staying and/or didn't bring a gift.

I would say you're fine without a goody bag... saves you time and energy. And as for decorations, can you get ahold of some pictures of the couple as kids and/or from their relationship? Get color copies made and paste them around or put them in inexpensive frames on each table.

Good luck -- and have fun!!
Old 05-25-2003, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Quote:
Originally posted by AGD4me
One of the best (and easiest!) games I've seen at a shower was to secretly question the groom about things related to the two of them as a couple. Then, at the shower, ask the bride the same questions and see how many she gets right. For each one she gets wrong, she has to chew a piece of bubblegum -- sometimes they end up with a mouthfull!
For an alternative to this game, ask the Bride and Groom questions about their relationship. For example:
* Where did you go on your first date?
* What's the craziest thing you've ever done together?
* What's the Bride's ring size?
* Where did you get engaged?
* What's your favorite dessert to share?
And then have the guests figure out how well they know the Bride and Groom.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Thank you! Thank You!

THANK YOU for all of your encouragement and words of advice - I sincerely appreciate them !! If I do say so myself, the shower went quite well ~ YAY!!

The bride ended up being totally surprised (she thought we were just going out for lunch), and everyone that came (about 10) ended up having a good time ... her mom even managed to come for an hour (both her & the bride live just over an hour away, across the US border).

The toilet paper wedding dresses and guests with their mouths absolutely stuffed with marshmellows (while trying to say Enrigue Iglesias & Sarah Michelle Gellar) will definitely make for some great photos!! I'll be sure to share some here as soon as they are developed.

Now it is on to putting together a special memory book for the bride (including pics from the shower, memories, etc), the final dress fitting (AGGHHH! now that's a whole story in itself!), the rehearsal dinner, and the big wedding on Friday ... so much to do, so little time (fast becoming my favorite saying)!!

Thanks again for your input, and I'll be sure to let you know how it goes

liEP,
~ Jen

Last edited by canadajen; 05-31-2003 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

WHAT AN AMAZING DAY ...

The wedding was absolutely beautiful yesterday! One of the most memorable highlights was when all of the AGDs (aobut 27)serenaded the bride with 'Got Along Before We Met You,' ~ the bride is one of our most beloved sisters, and it was wonderful to show her how much she is loved & missed by everyone up here. The other big highlight for me was hanging out with some of the wedding party (one particular gentleman!) afterwards ...

All-in-all, this is turnig out to be a fantastic weekend!

~ Jen