GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,387
2 members and 1,385 guests
LaneSig, Mooch279

Old 02-11-2000, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Baltimore, MD

I would like to first greet the members of the most Illustrious Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated. Since I am posting in your forum I am interested in your sorority, but I have more or less a question regarding universities and colleges. I attend college in TX and I am interested in transferring to a university in the Baltimore area. My reason for transferring is because I am from NY and I want to be closer to home BUT not too close. I have been looking at websites of different colleges such as Coppin, MSU, UMBC, and Towson. Now my problem is more or less choosing a school. On thier websites they are about the same and with me being from out of town I am not sure which one to choose. I would like to major in Info. systems so I would like to know who has the best program, location of school, etc. I would greatly appreciate anyones help or insight on Baltimore. Once again thank you for your help. Have a good day all and God bless.
Old 06-24-2001, 03:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadiyaa:
I attend college in TX and I am interested in transferring to a university in the Baltimore area. My reason for transferring is because I am from NY and I want to be closer to home BUT not too close. I have been looking at websites of different colleges such as Coppin, MSU, UMBC, and Towson. Now my problem is more or less choosing a school. On thier websites they are about the same and with me being from out of town I am not sure which one to choose. I would like to major in Info. systems so I would like to know who has the best program, location of school, etc. I would greatly appreciate anyones help or insight on Baltimore. Once again thank you for your help. Have a good day all and God bless.
I'm not an AKA, but I am knowledgeable about the Washington DC/Baltimore area. Keep in mind that Baltimore is a little different from the rest of MD.

As far as your major I would pick up a few books like the Princeton Review and do some serious research. The school having your major is pretty important. If you are on collegeclub.com, try talking to people that go to the schools you are interested in. That site was a BIG help when I transferred schools. But please don't skip visiting. That's a MUST! No one but you can tell you where you'll be happy.

Have you considered the other parts of Maryland, DC, or Virginia? I prefer both over Baltimore anyday. Most people from out of the area tend to head to B-more because it's big, but IMO those areas have more to offer.

Here's what I know about 3 schools you named:

Morgan - A tad ghetto at times but most of my friends/family love it there. They give plenty of money to good students. The academics aren't too rigorous. Plenty to do off campus.

UMBC - Good tech school. Descent academics. No real campus life since most of the students commute. Invest in a car or a friend that has one. My bestfriend is there now, she likes it.

Towson - Blacks really stick together here and generally like the school. Good academics. You can always find something to do.

Other schools I'd look at:

George Washington (DC)
Howard (DC)
Hampton (VA)
U. Maryland College Park (MD)
U. Maryland Eastern Shore (MD)
Georgetown (DC)
Catholic U (DC)
American U (DC)
Loyola (MD)
Norfolk State (VA)
Frostburg State (MD)
Old 06-24-2001, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

it really depends on what your major will be...i graduated from morgan and it has one of the best engineering programs in the state of md....and it's business school is gaining more and more respect every year. basically, you need to find out what school is most suitable for you and your major. if you have a car or access to one, nightlife will not be a problem regardless of the school you select.
Old 06-25-2001, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to muldoon
Hello

I am from the Wash/DC area. I have a few friends who go to UMBC who like it, but as was previously said, there is no night life. It is a very small school when compared to Univ. of MD CP.
Old 06-25-2001, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I graduated from Hampton University (in Hampton,VA). Although you mentioned that you were interested in schools in the Maryland area, I thought that I should also mention Hampton to you as I found it to be a place where I could grow as a student as I wasn't too far nor too close to home. I am originally from NY as well.

The Department of Computer Science has an excellent program. You can gain additional information by visiting their site (http://ww2.hamptonu.edu/science/comp-sci/newindex.htm) and speaking with some department representatives.

The things that "sold me" on Hampton was the success rate of graduates, the beautiful environment, and the comraderie between students, faculty, and alumni. As an alumna, my memories of Hampton are fond. I made my best friends at Hampton. The academic side prepared me well for my graduate studies. Most graduates of Hampton feel the same way. It will always be our "Home by the Sea."

I hope that you choose the program that is right for you and that you feel most at home. I would strongly encourage you to visit the campuses that you are considering so that you can get a feel for the campus community and sit in on a class.

God bless. Feel free to e-mail me if you'd like. My e-mail address is in my profile.

Hampton University's Main Webpage: http://www.hamptonu.edu/welcome.htm

[This message has been edited by nikki25 (edited June 25, 2001).]
Old 06-27-2001, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Just want to give a big sisterfriend HI!! I am also a sisterfriend from NY (da Bronx) and living in Baltimore. I got my undergrad degree from Towson and I am currently attending grad school there too. If you want any info feel free to hit me up!
Old 06-27-2001, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

NYC love in the HOUSE! Hello ladies! I saw all of the NY love going on and could not resist jotting down a few lines. Shadiyaa, I had similar problems in undergrad myself. However, the school that I was at was an outstanding instituition and I recognized that it would be to my benefit to remain. Nonetheless, I will say that if I did not pass the Mason-Dixon line, I believe that my college years would have gone over a lot better due to me being closer to home (not to meniton the culture shock). Whatever the case, make sure that before you leave Big Tex that the school you transfer to is one that you can excel at academically and socially (graduate, professional schools like "well-rounded" students). Also, if you are serious about transferring, the sooner the better. For if you delay, you may lose out on transfer of credit and prolong the completion of graduation requirements. Good luck in your quest and hollah via email for NYC love whenever needed!

------------------
Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Doing Well
Old 06-30-2001, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Im not an AKA but I am also from NYC. I went to Morgan State and I like it. I was just home sick a lot because Baltimore isnt like fast paced NYC. But it was cool. If you need to ask any other questions feel free to email me at IceCreamCity@webtv.net