GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,475
2 members and 1,473 guests
amIblue?, luvdovemrh

Old 02-02-2001, 11:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Question Alcohol Free Housing Initiative

I did a search and found two threads on the Alcohol Free Housing Initiative. My question is this...With 4 sororities following a "facilities" policy (meaning the sorority can only co-sponsor an event with a fraternity in their house if the fraternity housing is alcohol free) and 19 following or about to follow a "functions" policy (meaning the sorority may co-sponsor events in fraternity housing only if the function is alcohol free), what are your organizations doing to socialize without alcohol in fraternity housing? And also, where are you going to have functions with alcohol?

Besides this Initiative for Greek National organizations, many college panhellenics have passed these policies, and even some colleges and universities. How is this working on those campuses?

Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. I understand that people don't like the initiative, and that's ok, but I would love to hear how it is working.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2001, 02:30 PM

RUGreek--

But there are about 30 universities that have passed these initiatives for the entire campus, including large ones such as U of Colorado, U of Iowa, U of Kentucky, U of Missouri, U of Oregon and West Virginia. Do you think that it's working there?

Old 02-02-2001, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Well, i don't go to u of iowa but i'm from there and many of my friends do - according to them it's more of a pain in the rear than anything. it does cause more bar-scene mixing and such for them, but also simply having an off-campus house (in add'n to the actual house) for such events - although, i guess on the flip-side, some of them do have dry exchange events too, so i suppose in that regard it shows signs of working, but in their experience that's relatively limited.
Old 02-02-2001, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, our alcohol-free initiative's been working well. We can do things off-campus, in a bar, hotel, restaurant, or other establishment that will take the liability. Since I'm not exec, I really don't know the ins and outs of the whole deal. Our campus is far from dry, so it makes it difficult, and some sisters can't handle it, but it's really good.
Old 02-02-2001, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

AlphaChiGirl,

Thanks for your post. You have put your finger on probably the main reason for the alcohol free housing movement. It's important to realize that no National that I am aware of is saying, "Don't drink." Many have programs like our "Delts Talk About Alcohol" which stress the effects of alcohol and urge MODERATION in drinking.

The fact is, however, that many Nationals cannot get insurance. And they can't operate without it. On another thread I explained that a number of fraternal organizations (including ours) have pooled financial resources and are underwriting the group because no insurance company would issue a liability policy to a Greek organization. In the fraternity world, over 90% of liability insurance claims are alcohol related. That's the real reason we talk about "dry housing" third party vendors. That way the bar or restaurant or hotel or whatever assumes the liability and their employees have the responsibility to keep things under control. And, truthfully, I believe that an employee of that vendor is more likely to take that initiative than a "brother" or "sister."

A big problem is that this group of fraternities doesn't have nearly as much money as an insurance company, so a very few big lawsuits will bankrupt the group, and potentially ALL of the GLO's who are part of it.

This really could spell the end of those organizations. Literally.

I read just this week that the Phi Kappa Sigma chapter at Ohio University has closed because its' National had to raise insurance costs to over $300 per man. The chapter simply couldn't afford to stay open. The reason for the cost -- a lawsuit filed by the partents of a Texas student who died of alcohol poisoning. According to the AP, the settlement was $2 million.

How many settlements like that could your National handle without liability insurance?

Think about it.

Fraternally,
DeltAlum
Old 02-02-2001, 09:07 PM

Exclamation

I've put in my 2.5 cents more than once w/ my views on this so I won't bore y'all by reapeating them. I do have one related thought:

I realize that NPC is a conference only and as such cannot make "rules" or "laws" for individual sororities. However, on an issue like this that is so important, I think all 26 sororities should have sat down and hashed things out until they agreed on ONE UNIFORM policy. The varied levels of strictness seem to be a very quick way to incite division and resentment.
Old 02-02-2001, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I personally don't agree with making Fraternities go dry. Yes it does keep the physical structure of the house alive longer, but you run into a bigger problem that the people want to end in the first place. That is drinking and drinking-related accidents. It actually makes it worse. People think if we eliminate drinking at Fraternity houses that drinking and driving will majorily decrease....wrong! Most fraternity houses are on campus and within walking distance to the dorms, sorority houses etc. Well if you have to have a "wet" party at a bar...you have to DRIVE to the place and then DRIVE back....and that equals a most definate increase in drinking and driving. Another issue people think is a major problem is fights at fraternity parties. I've personally seen 2 at every house party i've been to and its always between either GDI's or members of another fraternity, but if you have to go to a bar to have a party that means guys who don't belong in your Fraternity can/will be there and a greater chance of fights will occur. And thats the last thing we need is people wearing letters in a barroom brawl. I think the whole issue is ridiculous. At every national or regional IFC conference the same issue comes up and i have to explain to them that they are increasing the very things they are tryin to stop and they are like...oh ya! Ya your going to have people drinking WAY too much(freshmen especially...freshmen girls mostly at my university), and yes you may have the random fight in the house etc., but when you have to have a wet party at a bar, club etc. your chances of this happening and drunk driving happening skyrockets tremendously. Im pro-alcohol education not prohibition.
Old 02-02-2001, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
Lightbulb

I am split when it comes to the issue of alcohol in glo houses. Everything to me can be handled if the right people are in charge. Unfortuntately, you have to assume when it comes to fraternities and sororities, this is not the case. I have thought a lot about the idea of making houses dry. The would be less of a mess, no more holes in the walls and beer and puke all over. And plus, the liability issue has been elimiated. Sounds great. Yep, except for one thing, you haven't done anything productive to deal with the problem still. Yes, the physical differences in your chapter house will improve (until the brotherhood comes home loaded and feels like partying some more!), but what about the real problem with alcohol? All you've really said is "Don't drink here."

The liability issue still exists. What, just because you sponsored the activity at a 3rd party vendor, you are relieved of all risk managment involved? Wrong, you can still be sued and your fraternity is still not off the hook if someone gets injured or dies. Trust me, lawsuits will find a way to make everyone involved pay, nothing is a safe guarantee. And even if you miraculously do get out alive, the press will be waiting to paint a wholesome image for you to take with you and your organization for a couple year, inncoent or not

My opinion, and I've said the many times before, you need to get involved and educate your members about the risks and dangers with alcohol and any other type of substance abuse. Don't push the problem away, take responsibility for it and do something about it. You can't just assume that dry housing will eliminate the risks. Look into tips training, have the local police deparment give a lecture or discussion with your members. You can save lives and still have a good time at your house if everyone is prepared and well-informed.

RUgreek
Old 02-02-2001, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

All dry housing would do is increase drinking and driving, because people would have to drive to where ever the third party is, as opposed to walking to the house accross campus or whatever. How can someone sue and win just because they don't know when to stop. I think alcohol education should be a required class so people know how much they can handle.

------------------
Once in every lifetime, you'll know what life is. Oh I need you, you need me, oh my darling, don't you see? The Young Ones. Darling we're The Young Ones. The Young Ones. Shouldn't be afraid! To live. To love. There's a song to be sung. 'Cause we may not be The Young Ones for very long!!!
Old 02-03-2001, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

OK, let's stop begging the question here.

A. As I said above, higher than 90% of fraternity liability insurance claims involve alcohol. That's a fact and the insurance companies are finished dealing with that kind of problem. They simply won't insure us anymore.

B. The "driving to the third party vendor" issue is only valid if you make it so. I'm sure there are exceptions, but most campuses I've visited have bars, restaurants, hotels, etc. within walking distance of campus. And I've visited a lot of campuses.

C. We live in a society where people sue over most anything. Not much we can do about that.

D. Many Nationals DO have educational programs teaching the potential risks of alcohol abuse. Some people (and chapters) take them to heart -- some ignore them.

E. Much of the drinking at Greek houses is by underaged people and thus, not only a problem from a liability standpoint, but just plain flat out illegal.

F. Much of the physical damage to fraternity houses is caused during alcohol related parties -- often by guests. The chapter gets stuck with the repairs.

E. If your national sets rules that you ignore because you disagree -- or whatever -- you risk losing your charter.

F. Finally, and most important, people die from alcohol poisoning, falls, fights etc. It's not all traffic accidents.

Bottom line? I think it's really too bad we have this issue at all. I wish we could have good parties at our houses where alcohol could be used legally and in moderation. I wish that none of our brother and sister Greeks died because of accidents or stupidity.

But it's just not the case.

And as long as it isn't, we're going to have dry housing sooner or later, and we're going to be harassed by university administrations, and our chapters are going to be closed down.

And people are going to die.

It just doesn't make any difference that this isn't a Greek only problem.

It's a problem that has to be fixed. I don't like the fix personally. I was never in favor of "dry" housing. But I know it's going to happen. I'm really sorry, but there is simply no other solution I can see.

DeltAlum
Old 02-03-2001, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
Cool

If you want an honest opinion, the program is not working at all. No one is registering events and just having illegal mixers and parties with houses. This rule is part of Values In Action (a.k.a. Select 2000) and it's not working for one important reason, there is no one guiding GLO's through it. When you tell a group that can't do something anymore and don't offer alternatives or better ways to socialize and get together, you'll get problems like what is happening. Some are trying to follow the rules, don't get me wrong, it's not a complete failure. But since it's not a set rule for everyone and there are different levels for different houses who accept the policy, it's just causing headaches. So to avoid making a mistake, no one tells So far things are fine, everyone is still annoyed with a dumb rule that discriminates one section of the university. If they were really smart and really wanted to be involved to get it to work, then they would have set this policy for the ENTIRE student body....but of course that could never work...

RUgreek
Old 02-05-2001, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, this whole policy seems to have not gotten the attention it needed at many schools, but at ECU we are doing as well as can be expected.
33girl, NPC did sit down and discuss the isse that's why EVERY Panhellenic must adopt the new policy by this year. It is no more strict than ANY sorority's policy, it just says that a chapter of a NPC sorority cannot co-sponsor an event at a Fraternity house if there will be drinking by either party.
That's what we were told and in fact NPC passed this in 1998, I think...
I do agree some sororities have a more strict policy and it is difficult to keep up with who's policy says what, but we have 2 chapters who follow FIPG rules and they do fine even though that is more strict then the other 7 chapter's policys.
I think it will be difficult for the older Greeks to follow, but it is for our saftey and the more we support it the easier it will be for our new members in the future. And maybe even more safe!
Old 02-05-2001, 03:05 PM

I spoke to numerous greeks at different schools, and of course, the reaction is mixed. As for drunk driving incidents, most chapters have sober sister and brothers who are the drivers. Or they have buses. Now chapters say, "well, we can't afford the buses". This is why all of the greeks should get together and get with one bus company who will give them significant discounts if they all use the same company.

As for third party vendors, the purpose of this is to reduce liability. The vendor is liable for carding, serving minors and the like. Yes, your organization could end up getting in trouble should something happen, but I truly believe that liability is greatly reduced.

Also, many organizations talk about "burn out" by sisters and brothers. When I was an undergrad 4 years ago, we had mixers every week. While some people enjoyed this, others didn't care for it. If organizations make their mixers events instead of an every week sort of thing, it could relieve some of the overprogramming by greek letter orgs.

I don't necessarily think the idea of alcohol free housing is what undergraduates have a problem with. The problem is that those that aren't 21 aren't going to be able to drink at their functions, and that is why the issue is fought.

I will say that our organization had a task force that reviewed all of the information before our resolution was passed, while many international councils just passed theirs without input from their collegiate members. Our resolution passed the task force unanimously. It's time for greeks to step up to the challenge, because this isn't animal house anymore
Old 02-05-2001, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl:
I've put in my 2.5 cents more than once w/ my views on this so I won't bore y'all by reapeating them. I do have one related thought:

I realize that NPC is a conference only and as such cannot make "rules" or "laws" for individual sororities. However, on an issue like this that is so important, I think all 26 sororities should have sat down and hashed things out until they agreed on ONE UNIFORM policy. The varied levels of strictness seem to be a very quick way to incite division and resentment.
Actually, they did. NPC does have a uniform policy that all the groups have agreed to, but the difference comes of course, in the individual policies. I know NPC made the resolution to support the dry fraternities and all, however, many sororities, such as mine, were already creating more strict policies within themsleves. So, my group has signed on to this NPC reso (to make it binding, all 26 NPC groups' Presidents must sign), but we don't follow it per se because we have our own more strict rule to follow, which happens to also make us follow the NPC rule.

I agree this subject is hard. when I was a consultant, we did try to provide other ideas to the chapters so it could be followed constructively and fully. But, the illegal or unregistered party is always the answer. we try to discourage that, too, because unfortunately, in a court of law, you can say it wasn't a Phi Delt party or a ChiO party or whatever till you're blue in the face, but the jury is not likely to decide in your favor. They do hold greek orgs esponsible even if it wasn't "officially sponsored."
Old 02-05-2001, 11:40 PM

It was my understanding that the unanimous NPC resolution was in "support" of alcohol free housing and alcohol free functions only. I looked on the NPC website for exact wording, but I couldn't find it.

Here was the kind of thing I was talking about: say you're KKG which has the strictest "facilities" policy. You're at a small school with DKE, Kappa Sig, Sig Ep and LXA, none of which are nationally or chapter-ly dry. Guess what? You're SOL. You can't have mixers, dry or not, period. Meanwhile the other sororities are skipping off to mixers. And are they really going to shoot themselves in the foot to help you out? I'm sorry, but I just don't see how anyone can think that is fair. Do any members of the national orgs that do have the stricter policy know why they decided to pass it this way?

If this has to be done, there should be one policy - functions. And everyone should have implemented it the same time, not "you have to do it by so & so date." I don't think NPC as a whole sat down and fleshed this out enough or educated the collegians enough. If so, why would we have people coming on this board and saying they don't understand their alcohol policy? If it took 4 years to do properly, it took four years. It just seems to me like this whole thing was rushed. I'm sure the behind the scenes talk has been going on for several years. What I have an issue with is the swiftness of the implementation with the collegians.

[This message has been edited by 33girl (edited February 05, 2001).]