GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,114
1 members and 1,113 guests
naraht

Old 10-07-2000, 04:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Where is the Lord any of this people!

First, I would like to start off by saying hello to all, and KAPsi if you are out there what's up. What's sup to all greeks! I just would like to know when will the slave mentality of thinking will go away? I can see doing some stuff to people, but laying a hand on someone else is totally out of the questions. Our ancestors had enough of that, and we should have learned from that. And where the Lord in any of this? No one has the right to beat on a CHILD OF GOD. I pledge, but and I did stuff, and I am not considered paper, but at the same time I was tried and that was the last time that happened. I don't believe in paddling or any other physical abuse. Only mental things. God didnt' create us so we could just haze folks. And being in a organization should not be based on hazing but the Loed first. And think about, the FOUNDERS for all of the frats and sorrors did not get hazed of any kind due to the fact that they were the founders. Why make it be about something that it is not!

P.S. I will you all the best of success in Life and keep the Lord first in all that you do.

[This message has been edited by LIGHT #3 (edited October 07, 2000).]
Old 10-09-2000, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

If we read the Bible, we can see that the very first commandment says "Do not worship any god before me." The 10 Commandments also contain the statement that we should not make an idol for ourselves to worship. Therefore, any type of organization which involves idols (such as Minerva or Demeter), is evil. Greek organizations that have a goddess or god as their patron, are bad because this type of thing promote the worshipping of FALSE GODS.

A true Christian would not continue to participate in a club or organization that has a false god as its symbol/patron/mentor.

If these organizations' rituals were brought out into the open, observed and researched, then it would help us put an end to their evilness.
I posted this on another thread- but I did want to reply to your writing. I don't see where the Lord is in of these types of organizations- if they are beating on people- how horrible!!!

I know that I have heard about what they did to Becky and I think that it's good that she is standing up against Chi Omega. The members of that Sigma Theta chapter may be using this board as a place to whine, but they will learn soon, that their national doesn't care about them anymore for what they did to that girl. The public will not react to well to the issue either.

----------------------------
other post-

You know that ancient temple... the one where the Eleusinian Mysteries (Demeter's Cult) were held (at Eleusis)? It was destroyed by the Christians. Any true Christian would know, deep inside their heart that an organization that involves strange rituals and false gods is evil.

God is a loving god and if we turn away from these evil organizations and denounce them, he will help free us from their binds.

God is a Judge, and he judges these organizations, and those who are involved with them. Isaiah 33:22

As Christians, we need to team up together and fight against wrong doings- I believe that many of these GLOs are founded on evil principles.

I hope that Chi Omega is the only Greek organization that does this kind of thing. Am I wrong?
Old 10-09-2000, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey- both of you really give me a new outlook on greek organizations. A lot of the messages I have read on this board are horrible!
Old 10-10-2000, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

To anyone interested
I would just like to clear up that I am not a Chi Omega, but a first year college gal (at Montgomery JC in Conroe, Tx) who will be transfering to SHSU & rushing this spring. I have been catholic all of my life & spent many years in catholic school, but see no problem with greek organizations. You said that Christians should team up so here I am. I just want to say that I agree with the fact that hazing should not be apart of the greek system or any other, but I have faced the fact that is IS.

I played sports & was apart of clubs at Catholic schools for half of my life. There was hazing & yes we had our own strange rituals. This was all just a part of being a member of the team or organization. I am not proud of this (hazing), but it happens. Hazing & rituals are everywhere, & in most organizations, so why are they just horrible when they are apart of greek orgs?

Allison

P.S. I do not wish to start anything about the SHSU situation, I just wanted to set the record straight. I am only interested in talking about the topic originally posted!

Thank You!
Old 10-10-2000, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Just a note, not all greek members are christians. There are many greeks out there of different faiths (including myself), keep that in mind. We don't all follow or believe in the Bible, and a lot of greek organizations don't require that we do.
Old 10-10-2000, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

mgdzkm433
You are absolutely correct. Forgive my post's onesidedness, but I'm not well educated in many other religions besides my own & another which I have grown up surrounded by. Eventhough this thread has taken on the 'Christian theme'I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on it!
Allison
Old 10-10-2000, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by L3647:
Hey- both of you really give me a new outlook on greek organizations. A lot of the messages I have read on this board are horrible!

If they are "so horrible" then don't read them. We got your number Carol C. Don't play the Donna Reed card with us. Aint gonna work. Yet again, GO AWAY.
Old 10-10-2000, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

[b][QUOTE]Originally posted by virtuosity:
If we read the Bible, we can see that the very first commandment says "Do not worship any god before me."

Please humor me Virtuosity/Fred:

How do you equate joining a Greek Letter Organization with worship? Do members of Greek Letter Organizations pray to the leaders of such organizations? Is there some kind of Greek afterlife?

I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but most of the information in your post was pulled out of your a$$. The only information that didn't is of course, the scriptures.

Peace and Blessings......

------------------
We often give our enemies the means for our own destruction.

Aesop c550 BC
Old 10-11-2000, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

[quote]Originally posted by MIDWESTDIVA:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by virtuosity:
If we read the Bible, we can see that the very first commandment says "Do not worship any god before me."

Please humor me Virtuosity/Fred:

How do you equate joining a Greek Letter Organization with worship? Do members of Greek Letter Organizations pray to the leaders of such organizations? Is there some kind of Greek afterlife?

I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but most of the information in your post was pulled out of your a$$. The only information that didn't is of course, the scriptures.

Peace and Blessings......
Yah' know- I feel a deep sense of sorrow for you. I'm sorry that you continue to harass this nice man- maybe someday you will realize what life is all about and then, MAYBE you'll think for yourself and know that their is more out there.

I am not Fred Hatchett- thanks for the compliment, though.

Old 10-11-2000, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Q-T Pie:
To anyone interested
I would just like to clear up that I am not a Chi Omega, but a first year college gal (at Montgomery JC in Conroe, Tx) who will be transfering to SHSU & rushing this spring. I have been catholic all of my life & spent many years in catholic school, but see no problem with greek organizations. You said that Christians should team up so here I am. I just want to say that I agree with the fact that hazing should not be apart of the greek system or any other, but I have faced the fact that is IS.

I played sports & was apart of clubs at Catholic schools for half of my life. There was hazing & yes we had our own strange rituals. This was all just a part of being a member of the team or organization. I am not proud of this (hazing), but it happens. Hazing & rituals are everywhere, & in most organizations, so why are they just horrible when they are apart of greek orgs?

Allison

P.S. I do not wish to start anything about the SHSU situation, I just wanted to set the record straight. I am only interested in talking about the topic originally posted!

Thank You!
Allison-
Aren't you one of the ones who were interested in witchcraft? Just thought I'd seen your name somewhere else on here...

Anyways... it surprises me that you are not one of the "ex-members" of the Sigma Theta chapter of Chi Omega. How did you know about each and every link concerning Becky's case? It seems almost as if there was a little bit of malicious intent in your other post. Did you know that the accusations, regarding Becky's mother (Huntsville Item) are false?

The Huntsville newspaper is in serious trouble with Becky's attorney right now... and so is the "Today@Sam" board. I just wanted to let you know a little bit from someone who is more in tune as to what is going on with the Sam Houston situation.
Old 10-11-2000, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

[b][QUOTE]Originally posted by virtuosity:
Yah' know- I feel a deep sense of sorrow for you. I'm sorry that you continue to harass this nice man- maybe someday you will realize what life is all about and then, MAYBE you'll think for yourself and know that their is more out there.

I am not Fred Hatchett- thanks for the compliment, though.

You still haven't answered my questions. How do you equate joining a Greek Letter organization with worship? The Webster's dictionary definition of worship is:

worship-(verb tense)to adore, to pay divine honors to;

How do you know that members of Greek Letter organizations worship the organization itself? Have you ever been a member of an organization that does this?

I realize that the remark I made in my first post was crude and for that I apologize. I am actually giving you an opportunity here to explain yourself, because you are not making sense. You are throwing accusations around but what facts do you have to back them up? Maybe you are using the term "worship" too loosely. I don't personally know anyone who pays divine honors to an organization.
Old 10-11-2000, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Dear virtuosity -
Thank you for taking a post in which LIGHT #3 attempted to initiate a discussion about how hazing is in apparent conflict with Judeo-Christian ethics,

and turning it into your own soapbox. Not everyone on this board wants to talk about you and your problems. Please do not infiltrate EVERY THREAD here at GreekChat. If you have nothing else to contribute, do us all a favor and keep your opinions in the appropriate place (i.e. your own website).

I also believe that you and your myriad "names" are Becky Smith. I believe that if you have any confidence in yourself, or any belief that your convictions are right and true,

then you will quit hiding behind "pseudonyms" and represent yourself for who you are.

[This message has been edited by Texas Alum (edited October 11, 2000).]
Old 10-11-2000, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

HMMM...It seems that no matter how many times I repeat myself on this topic & how many times I tell myself I am done, I once again feel the need to clear things up. This post is not made out of anger. I just wish to, once agian inform, & chuckle about how speaking my mind has gotten me labeled a malacious, hazing, Ex-Chi Omega witch

virtuosity
As I have said before, if everyone would READ the posts before replying to them, we would save much time & space on this board. I believe I stated that "I have always been interested in the different types of religions & beliefs". I grew up in a very sheltered catholic school system. I was not informed about different religions & feel that since it is such a serious issue (to me) I should be as knowledgable on EVERY one out there as I possible can. It says alot that mgdzkm433 went out there & did the reasearch & found something that suited her better than the beliefs placed on her by her parents. I don't believe I know anyone with that kind of initiative & drive. And honestly, if she had combined the beliefs from Christianity & Judaism, or Christianity & Hinduism, etc. we would not even be discussing this.

As for being a member of Chi Omega, I have told you my story & revealed more about myself than I ever intended to.

"How did you know about each and every link concerning Becky's case?": How else...I opened my eyes to what the local media, local internet services, & local papers were throwing at me. Afterall:
- It is my right, as a citizen of this country to know the story.
- It is my right, as a future SHSU student to know the story.
- It is my right as a spring rushee to know the story.
- It is my right to know the story, when my cousin has recently seen a Chi Omega from this chaper.
- It is my right to know the story, so I know who, exactly, I met & was associating with this past Bid Day.

Yes you will obviously know more about the case than I will because you are right in the middle of it. But you can not expect to come forward with your story & not have you & your daughter's name eventually plastered across the the television screen or put in the headlines.

Ya'll came forward, so why get angry when I follow the story? Isn't that why ya'll went to the media, so EVERYONE would know?

Allison

------------------
A mistake at least proves that somebody stopped talking long enough to do something.
~ Anonymous
Old 11-29-2000, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Q-TPie, and to whomever else it may concern:

Witchcraft was a religoin, or grew out of religion in Norhtern and Western Europe. They were destroyed by Christians because they were worshiping "false gods" or whatever. I hope these same Christians don't try to destroy any greek orgs, but it never hurts to learn from the past.
Old 11-29-2000, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Q-TPie, and to whomever else it may concern:
Witchcraft was a religoin, or grew out of religion in Norhtern and Western Europe. They were destroyed by Christians because they were worshiping "false gods" or whatever. I hope these same Christians don't try to destroy any greek orgs, but it never hurts to learn from the past.

YoungOne,

Actually, witchcraft is STILL a religion in the form of pagan practices. Many Many people still practice witchcraft and Wicca--it's main source of practice--is the fastest growing religion in North America.

Witchcraft falls under the umbrella term 'Paganism'. Paganism consists of several different religions including: Shamanism, Norse, Wicca, Witchcraft, Celtic/Faerie Magick, VooDoo, Druids, and many others. Pagan Practices are actually the oldest known religion known to man. All religions are based from it. Paganism was here long before Christianity. Witches first were recognized as such while many peoples were still secluded in tribes. Each tribe or community had a 'medicine man/woman' or a community 'witch' that they would go to to find out information (prophecies) or for healing. Witches mostly made herbal remedies to help with illness. Because they knew this trade, they were considered magickal. They did spells to see the future or to help a community member. They also believed in many gods/goddesses, as did the people. As tribes moved and settled in areas, the tribes would learn from each other and use each other's knowledge. Christianity began to form, and Christians had to meet in seclusion and secret because they were, at that time, the minority. As Christianity grew, many Christians still practiced Paganism in their homes and attened Christian churches at various times. This was very common. The Church had a hard time competing with the Pagan practices because frankly--they were more fun. They wanted to draw the people to them, and only them--which would give them power. This was the beginning of the corupt churches in Europe and England. More people wanted to be involved in Paganism because it was a practice that allowed them to do many things without being condemned. The Church then came up with their plan, declared paganism evil and anything pagan was of the 'devil'(which most pagans don't believe that the 'devil' exists, however during that time, people were practicing both or only one). This scared many people into converting totally to Christian ways. Those who did not convert were usually tortured and killed--as you know many were burned at the stake. Also, the church began to come up with rules or ideas of how to know if someone was a witch. Simple things began to be declared a pagan ritual item. Women mostly were the culprits because at that time, women were still 'evil' in their own sense. Basic household items, used everyday, became items only a witch would aquire. Innocent--CHRISTIAN--women were even put to death because the would own such items as a broom, a culdron, herbs. These were all common items for every woman because 1) brooms were used to sweep the house 2) culdrons were used to cook 3) herbs were used for food. The Church would send people out on witch hunts, they even built holding houses just for witches where they would torture anyone who was declared a witch--later on to be killed. Even through these times, pagan practices still remained in tact--also very secretive which is why we don't know much about older magick and witchcraft. When the Puritins crossed the Atlantic and came to America, they brought with them their fear of witches into Salem. The rest is history. Even through all the hard times, pagan practices still exist and are well and thriving to this day--inculding witchcraft. Many people believe that it is a thing of the past, but they are wrong, witches are everywhere and they are growing in numbers everyday.