GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,385
0 members and 1,385 guests
No Members online

Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Is This Common?

Has anyone ever heard of a sorority that makes the women going through the membership process plan and throw their own induction ceremony and after-ceremony dinner? I thought this was done by the chapter's big sisters for their little sisters? Also, I was told what the cost would be to join, but nothing about where the money was to go. Like, X dollars to national dues, X dollars to chapter dues, X dollars toward a handbook and sorority t-shirt (or something else with the sorority's letters on it) after induction, etc.

This organization is real, and has been around for a long time. But, it's not a member of any national councils or umbrella groups. So, it's not a question of legitimacy. Just one of common vs uncommon practices, I would think. But, if I really knew I wouldn't be on GreekChat asking would I?

I probably didn't get some terminology right, so my apologies for that in advance. I'm looking into a sorority and found out that they do this, but I have no idea if this is common or not. I know every organization is different, but I've lurked here enough to know that some things are pretty common across the board. I just have no idea, so I'd like some input.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartlife View Post
Has anyone ever heard of a sorority that makes the women going through the membership process plan and throw their own induction ceremony and after-ceremony dinner? I thought this was done by the chapter's big sisters for their little sisters? Also, I was told what the cost would be to join, but nothing about where the money was to go. Like, X dollars to national dues, X dollars to chapter dues, X dollars toward a handbook and sorority t-shirt (or something else with the sorority's letters on it) after induction, etc.

This organization is real, and has been around for a long time. But, it's not a member of any national councils or umbrella groups. So, it's not a question of legitimacy. Just one of common vs uncommon practices, I would think. But, if I really knew I wouldn't be on GreekChat asking would I?

I probably didn't get some terminology right, so my apologies for that in advance. I'm looking into a sorority and found out that they do this, but I have no idea if this is common or not. I know every organization is different, but I've lurked here enough to know that some things are pretty common across the board. I just have no idea, so I'd like some input.

Thanks in advance.
QFP.

Every organization is different and every council is different. What you are speaking might be a common practice for the group that you are questioning. Noone here can tell you if thats a common practice for that group.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

It also may be a very meaningful, bonding experience for the new member class. If it's a tradition for this group, it's a tradition of this group. Don't question what they do in their organization. We do things in our groups for a reason, but it doesn't make it the only way.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-01-2010, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Has anyone ever heard of a sorority that makes the women going through the membership process plan and throw their own induction ceremony and after-ceremony dinner?

What is the problem with having an after-induction dinner?

I thought this was done by the chapter's big sisters for their little sisters?

Who cares "who" throws the party? Who told you that dinner is a Big/Little thing? The group may not even give you a big sister, or give them weeks later, or any other possibility.

Also, I was told what the cost would be to join, but nothing about where the money was to go. Like, X dollars to national dues, X dollars to chapter dues, X dollars toward a handbook and sorority t-shirt (or something else with the sorority's letters on it) after induction, etc.

I'm sure they can give you a list of areas covered (decorations, food, celebrations, rentals, misc.), but chances are, they might not say "$1.00 for decorations and paperplates for sister events, $0.50 per person for room rental for a ceremony, $0.06 per person to buy new candles for the pledge ceremony, $6.00 for bid day shirt". And anyway, some of the stuff may not be privy to non-initiates because some things are a surprise.

If you pay dues, it's a COMMON experience to have a variety of things covered. The better question to ask is WHAT ISN'T covered by dues, so that you can prepare. I think that is an appropriate question to ask.

Only THE SORORITY you are interested in can give you INPUT. ASK THEM. Some groups' dues cover "everything" from all meals at the house to event items to mixers; others cover some stuff and leave other stuff (like optional event t-shirts, formals, off-campus events, etc.) a-la-cart, because not everyone wants an event t-shirt or can attend the annual formal.

Thanks in advance.

Don't base the possible experiences on what any other group does. There are differences even among the 26 NPC groups, and even among different chapters of the same group. Do your research on THIS group and don't worry what other people do.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I made my decision before I saw the replies, but thank you to everyone who took the time to answer. A moderator is welcome to close/delete the thread.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Ha! You post a question. You get a response 9 minutes, 20 minutes and about an hour after your post, but you make a decision before you see the replies. Why even ask the question?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-01-2010, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

she <3's life, but clearly doesn't win at it.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I never got any notification emails saying that I had responses. While I was waiting for the notification that never came, I was able to touch bases with a few greeks I personally know, and fully trust, to see what they said. When I came back to say nevermind and close the thread, that's when I saw there were responses.

My apologies for any inconvenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Ha! You post a question. You get a response 9 minutes, 20 minutes and about an hour after your post, but you make a decision before you see the replies. Why even ask the question?
Old 04-01-2010, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

You are a very small and petty person, who uses the anonymity of the Internet to show your true personality as the ass you really are. After all, you have to give "good face" in public and maintain an image, right? Whatever. I am done here, so don't bother to respond unless you like wasting your time and energy. But, oh darn, wait... my fault, now you have to save face, so of course you'll reply. Too bad only your GC chums will get to read it and chuckle, because I won't be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
she <3's life, but clearly doesn't win at it.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You are a very small and petty person, who uses the anonymity of the Internet to show your true personality as the ass you really are. After all, you have to give "good face" in public and maintain an image, right? Whatever. I am done here, so don't bother to respond unless you like wasting your time and energy. But, oh darn, wait... my fault, now you have to save face, so of course you'll reply. Too bad only your GC chums will get to read it and chuckle, because I won't be back.
You promise?
Old 04-01-2010, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I never got any notification emails saying that I had responses. While I was waiting for the notification that never came, I was able to touch bases with a few greeks I personally know, and fully trust, to see what they said. When I came back to say nevermind and close the thread, that's when I saw there were responses.

My apologies for any inconvenience.
Translation: I didn't appreciate you guys not blowing sunshine and calling the older members "big meanies who soooo don't care about the new girls."

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Psst. Pull your skirt down a little, your flounce is showing.