GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,148
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,520
1 members and 1,519 guests
Xidelt

Old 04-09-2004, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

you have NOT been to the states until you've....

Hey all...

I've written about my trip before... !here.

Now, one last question... finish this sentence:

"You have not been to the States until you have...."

I'm not looking for big answers (aka "been to New York") but the little ones like "been to a Big Boy", "gone shopping at Target" etc.

So.... any answers?

Last edited by kappaloo; 08-22-2004 at 01:59 AM.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:32 PM
Banned

Been shot in Compton!

-Rudey
Old 04-09-2004, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Spent the Fourth of July on the Mall in Washington, D.C.

Attended a Super Bowl party
Old 04-09-2004, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
been on trial in salem, mass

walked the freedom trail
Old 04-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Unregistered-

...Until you've had an In-N-Out Burger.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

no Atlanitc Ocean
Old 04-10-2004, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: New Orleans. Or pure unpenetrable evil, depending on what I feel like at the moment.
Send a message via AIM to GPhiLlama Send a message via Yahoo to GPhiLlama
Drank a hurricane at Pat O's! Oh wait...that's "You've not been to Louisiana until you've..."
Old 04-10-2004, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Your trip sounds like so much fun! What are you planning to do in the mountains -- I ask since I live in the mountains and could use some new ideas.

I'd say you haven't been to the states until you've had Chicago style pizza in Chicago and excellent beer from a microbrewery in Colorado.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
See something on old Route 66.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Till you ate at a sonic!
Old 04-10-2004, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
"You have not been to the States until you have...." eaten chicken fried steak.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Could you have possibly avoided my state (Oklahoma) any more than you did?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-10-2004, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Funny stuff.... I've lived in the States my whole life and I have never
been to NY City
Ate at a Sonic
Driven on Rte 66
Walked the freedom trail
been in DC during the 4th of July
or thankfully, been shot in Compton.

I would think that you haden't been to the states until you'd seen DC, but I know a lot pf people who still haven't done that. Here's a few tidbits for the cities I have been to on your trip:

Chicago- Walk down Michigan Ave, go to the Art Institute, and see Navy Peir. All of that is in walking distance.

Denver- Get out of the city and into the mountains and go to Rocky Mountian National Park or something equally as protected and full of trails. You can also go to this really cool mexican place-- I forget what it is called (Casa Rosa?) But it is bright pink, serves mexican sizzler style, and they have a themed dining room inside where you can dine in caves, mexian haciendias or next to the waterfall where they have performers. I was fond of that as a child. There is also a fun night area downtown.

Yosemite- Hike half dome!! Also, if you plan to camp, you should make reservations now. Or you can have a hike in site.

San Francisco- The city is lots of fun, enjoy your time there. I would walk around Union square and northbeach, take a quick walk around fishermans warf (because as tacky as it is, you can't really pass up Giradelli square or the sea lions). Go to Haight Ashbury (there are some great Ethoipian places there!). My favorite part about SF isn't the city though, it is whats outside the city! I love Pt. Reyes National Park (one hour north on hwy 1) and all the cities south on Hwy 1.

Driving down the California coast is something you should not miss!!! You can take Hwy 1 from the city (follow the signs from 101 to 280 to 1), and then drive down to Carmel, which is one of the most beautiful places in the world (2-3 hours). Make lots of stops. Santa Cruz is a fun place to chill, as well as Half Moon Bay. Monterey has a great aquarium right on the point. If you make it to Carmel, go into Pebble Beach and visit the Inn at Spanish Bay (on 17 mile rd). Tell the security guards that you are going to Roys, the restruant at the hotel, and they won't charge you the entrance fee. Roys is pretty expensive, but for $6-7 you can get drinks on the patio and watch the sun set over the most beautiful golf course and beach. Then, once the sun has gone down, the staff lights fires in the outdoor fire pits. As you can tell, this is one of my favortie places!

After Carmel, you continue south. There isn't much in terms of tourist attractions (except Napenthe, a restraunt overlooking the ocean just north of Julia Pipher Burns St. Park) for quite some time. I reccommend camping at one of 2 national campgrounds that are first come- first serve. They are smack dab in the middle of the desolate area of hwy 1, and are beautiful. My Mom and I camped there last year, in the middle of the week you won't have trouble finding a spot. If you want a Friday night, you will have to get there in the morning.

Well, those are my best reccommendations! I hope you have a wonderful trip!!
Old 04-10-2004, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Thumbs up Vegas Baby!

See the Las Vegas Strip!
Old 04-10-2004, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Some replies...

Re: NO East Coast: Since I live in Central Canada - the east coast is only 8 hours away. We figured we'll do that "later" ... its easier to get one week off to see Washington is easier than the 3 weeks needed to see drive to California and spend time there.

GPhiLlama Where in Louisiana is that? I'll be New Orleans... and pass through several other cities... (I'm staying a night in either Lafayette or Baton Rouge, can't remember which)

valkyrie In the moutains a lot of it will be the drive... the only mountains I've ever seen were the Smokies in Tennessee back one trip to Florida (the other times, I slept through the area). But we are looking to stop for some hikes in the area... and we're going to some caverns in Glenwood Springs - we'll be hitting the hot springs as well.

Kevlar281 What is chicken fried steak? We're visiting a friend of my mother's in Houston, and i'm going to ask her to make us deep fried chicken (something no one I've ever mentioned it to has ever had) - is it similar?

ktsnake Does the fact we're also avoiding Kansas and Missouri make it any better?

XOMichelle Thanks for all the suggestions! Are reservations really that important in Yosemite? Even if we're there on a May weekday?

Last edited by kappaloo; 04-10-2004 at 02:40 PM.