GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,534
0 members and 1,534 guests
No Members online

Old 11-05-2007, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Unhappy UF AEPhi killed in crash

http://www.alligator.org/articles/20...ocal/death.txt

UF student killed in crash
By APRIL DUDASH, Alligator Writer
A UF student was killed early Sunday morning in a traffic accident off State Road 121.

Gainesville Police Department spokesman Lt. Keith Kameg said Pamela Eve Frank, 20, crashed her GMC Jimmy SUV around 1:05 a.m.

UF spokesman Steve Orlando said Frank, originally from Coral Springs, was a history sophomore involved in Alpha Epsilon Phi Sorority.

Kameg said the accident took place along the 5500 block of State Road 121.

He said she was the only one in the car and wasn't wearing a safety belt.

The investigation is being worked on by the GPD Traffic Homicide team.

The preliminary investigation shows that the speed of the SUV may have led to the crash, Kameg said.

Investigators are awaiting a toxicology report, Kameg said.

Orlando said he didn't know of any plans for a memorial service for Frank.

Erinn Kellner, president of Alpha Epsilon Phi, said Frank was always a "really sweet girl."

"She was literally the girl who always had a smile on her face," Kellner said.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

So sad to hear about something like this, esp. the part that she was not wearing a seatbelt. May God grant her peace and bring comfort to her family, sisters and friends!

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network

Last edited by Wolfman; 11-05-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-05-2007, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
I'm really sorry to hear about the loss. What I don't understand is how people can drive without wearing a seatbelt, especially after knowing how many lives have been saved by them? I feel naked driving if I don't have my seatbelt on.

KLTC
Old 11-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00 View Post
I'm really sorry to hear about the loss. What I don't understand is how people can drive without wearing a seatbelt, especially after knowing how many lives have been saved by them? I feel naked driving if I don't have my seatbelt on.
I'll never forget overhearing a mother saying to her young daughter, "Neither Princess Diana nor Princess Grace wore their seatbelts - even a princess can die if she doesn't wear her seatbelt!"

But what I would like to express is my sympathy, to the family, friends, and sisters of Pamela Frank. May they know comfort and peace in the days to come.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00 View Post
Same here. Back in HS, some Broward County police officers would go around to all the high schools in the county and show this gruesome slideshow of car accidents that had happened in the area. They definitely did not refrain from showing some of the most disturbing photos of people who were involved in DUIs or weren't wearing their seatbelts. Oh my. I will never forget it. It's funny because to this day when I talk to someone who went to HS in Broward County back in the 90s they'll always say, "I always wear my seatbelt. These officers would come to my school and show this slideshow...."

Strangely, this girl is originally from Coral Springs which is Broward County. I guess they stopped showing that slideshow! I hate hearing about deaths like this that could have been prevented had a seatbelt been worn. One of my husband's fraternity brothers died around this time last year in an accident where he was not wearing his seatbelt.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
I know, I feel the same way about seatbelts, the police at my high school always did this reenactment around prom time about DUI and wearing a seat belt, I'll never get those images out of my head. I'm so paranoid about wearing seatbelts and I'm one of those ppl that won't move unless everyone has theirs on.

This is so sad! My condolences to the friends, family and sisters
Old 11-05-2007, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
I am so sorry for the loss all those who loved her are feeling.

The greatest tribute to her memory, would be for her family to remind people, to wear their seatbelts.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

So tragic - of course Pamela, her parents and sisters are in my prayers.
And yes, I hope the good that can come out of this is a renewed understanding of the importance of seatbelts.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAngel View Post
Same here. Back in HS, some Broward County police officers would go around to all the high schools in the county and show this gruesome slideshow of car accidents that had happened in the area. They definitely did not refrain from showing some of the most disturbing photos of people who were involved in DUIs or weren't wearing their seatbelts. Oh my. I will never forget it. It's funny because to this day when I talk to someone who went to HS in Broward County back in the 90s they'll always say, "I always wear my seatbelt. These officers would come to my school and show this slideshow...."

Strangely, this girl is originally from Coral Springs which is Broward County. I guess they stopped showing that slideshow! I hate hearing about deaths like this that could have been prevented had a seatbelt been worn. One of my husband's fraternity brothers died around this time last year in an accident where he was not wearing his seatbelt.
I went to HS in Broward and never saw this slideshow! But the ones they showed us in Health about STDs was gruesome!
Old 11-05-2007, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

How tragic this is to read about.

My heart goes out to the Family Friends, and Sisters!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-05-2007, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAngel View Post
Same here. Back in HS, some Broward County police officers would go around to all the high schools in the county and show this gruesome slideshow of car accidents that had happened in the area.
Glad to know I am not the only one still having nightmares more than 10 years later... Those were some of the most disturbing photographs I have ever seen... I still remember one of a victim whose heart practically exploded out of his chest from the impact-- you could see the impression of the organ.

It's making me ill just to type that...

My sympathies to UF-AEPhi and the young woman's family. Today, one of the law students was critically injured in a car accident here at UF. People around here do not observe the speed limits, and it is frightening. I live on a street that is 15 MPH and people fly down it at 60+. I have no idea why they are in such a hurry, and I can't understand why you would not wear a seatbelt... then again, if you haven't seen that slideshow, that's probably why.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Glad to know I am not the only one still having nightmares more than 10 years later... Those were some of the most disturbing photographs I have ever seen... I still remember one of a victim whose heart practically exploded out of his chest from the impact-- you could see the impression of the organ.

It's making me ill just to type that...
Seriously. Every Broward County kid is traumatized to this day. The one slide I will never forget is when the police officer introduced it by saying, "You might think that just because you're wearing your seatbelt that you'll be ok but your passengers need to wear one too and here's why." The slide featured teeth embedded in the back of the front passengers' heads. The back passengers were not wearing their seatbelt and flew forward and their mouths basically went right into the front passengers' heads. Everyone in the car died because of head trauma. To this day, I make EVERYONE in the car buckle up regardless if I'm sitting in the front or back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
I went to HS in Broward and never saw this slideshow! But the ones they showed us in Health about STDs was gruesome!
Consider yourself lucky. They are photos that you'll remember for a lifetime. When did you graduate, btw? I get the feeling that they stopped showing this slideshow circa 1999/2000. And I think they were allowed to show it to only juniors and seniors so anyone who wasn't in 11th or 12th grade by 2000 never had the pleasure of seeing this wonderful show.

I think the slideshows were stopped because too many parents complained. Parents were not given notification that these types of pictures were going to be shown to their kids. We'd be sitting in class and the teacher would say to us, "Hey kids, we're going over to the auditorium to listen to some nice policemen give a fun presentation. Yay!" Then we'd be innodated with these horrible images that would make you turn away from the screen and make some kids physically ill. In retrospect, the slideshow wasn't really for faint-of-heart...or someone under the age of 18 which most of us were...but that slideshow probably saved more lives than people will ever realize because many of us would never think of getting in a car without putting on a seatbelt.

Sorry for the hijack. Condolences to AEPhi.

Last edited by ZTAngel; 11-05-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:08 PM

A sad day indeed.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
I also still have nightmares about that one. If nothing else scared you into abstinence, that slide show would.

Here's what I learned in high school in South Florida in the 1990's:
1) Sex will kill you. Don't have sex. Ever. Because you will die.
2) If you don't wear your seatbelt, you will be decapitated. Here's a photo of what that looks like. Buckle up.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
That is so sad. She and her family and sisters are in my prayers. My condolences to all AEPhis here.

Theta Phi Alpha