GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,485
0 members and 1,485 guests
No Members online

Old 10-07-2003, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek Converse Tennis Shoes

I am only creating a new thread because I have pics of all the shoes as well as prices.

http://converse.com/zproductmatrix.a...=1&zsubcatid=2

Converse Basketball - Classic Chuck Taylor All Stars Shoes

Greekpack Weapon (Hi top) $65.00 1911, 1914
Greekpack Weapon (low top) $60.00 1906, 1908, 1911 (omega), 1913

They are available in limited quantities on line...
Old 10-07-2003, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

the ladies ones are niiiiiiiiiice. very cute with jeans.

Last edited by Lil' Hannah; 10-07-2003 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
I love them but I would never wear them! I am just not a sneakers person any more, unless I'm going to the gym (and one would not wear those to the gym.

So while the para lover in me REALLY wants them, I will pass .
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 10-07-2003, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Please don't buy them

The NPHC as a group is considering action against Converse/Nike for these shoes. They tried to get around our licensing rules by not using the symbols--just the colors and the dates. They are trying to make a lot of money off of us without giving our orgs any financial consideration in return.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 10-07-2003, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Please don't buy them

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
The NPHC as a group is considering action against Converse/Nike for these shoes. They tried to get around our licensing rules by not using the symbols--just the colors and the dates. They are trying to make a lot of money off of us without giving our orgs any financial consideration in return.
I figured something had to be up.

Oh and in case folks are wondering, the Zetas, S G Rhos, and Iotas shoes were no where to be found on the site.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee

Quote:
BOO HISS to Converse/Nike!!

The mere fact that they're using the correct date/color combinations (since they're not using names) means that they know exactly who their target customers are going to be. They should at least give a portion of the money made to the NPHC organizations. They should realize that by doing the right thing, it would benefit them greatly (i.e. positive reputation). I don't like when companies try to do shady things in the name of making a profit.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap

Quote:
Thanks, Ladygreek, for the info.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Man, the shopper in me wanted to pick them up...**sigh** I guess I'll pass too.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Question?

I am not greek, but I was wondering how they were going to keep people that are not greek from buying the shoes? Are they just going to sell them on greek websites or are they going to actually sell them in the stores? I was just wondering because if they sell them in the store how are they going to know if the people buying are greek or not? You all already said that the NPHC isn't getting any profits from this. So if it's all about the money they won't care who is buying them, and they won't take any precautions to make sure these shoes don't get into the wrong hands. Again, I'm not greek so I apologize if I overstepped my boundaries here, but I was really wondering about that, and wanted to know how you all felt about it.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Question?

Quote:
Originally posted by 2Tuff2Quit
I am not greek, but I was wondering how they were going to keep people that are not greek from buying the shoes? Are they just going to sell them on greek websites or are they going to actually sell them in the stores? I was just wondering because if they sell them in the store how are they going to know if the people buying are greek or not? You all already said that the NPHC isn't getting any profits from this. So if it's all about the money they won't care who is buying them, and they won't take any precautions to make sure these shoes don't get into the wrong hands. Again, I'm not greek so I apologize if I overstepped my boundaries here, but I was really wondering about that, and wanted to know how you all felt about it.

I believe they will only be sold online and from what I know, there will not be any SCREENING to make sure shoes are only sold to Greek members.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
Just an observation, I wonder why they made the Kappa and Phi Beta Sigma ones a little higher for the men, and not the Ques and Alpha's. They all look cool enuf, but I'm not feeling the Alpha ones.....those colors for some reason just don't look good on those sneakers. I think they could have done better with those in some kind of way.

Be Breezy - Calvin from "House of Payne"
Old 10-08-2003, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Question?

Question to all:

Why would some sort of screening be needed in order to purchase this 'nalia (the tennis shoes) as opposed to other 'nalia (T-shirts, jackets, etc.) that is sold online?
Just curious to know.......
Old 10-08-2003, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974
Question to all:

Why would some sort of screening be needed in order to purchase this 'nalia (the tennis shoes) as opposed to other 'nalia (T-shirts, jackets, etc.) that is sold online?
Well, I think it all should be screened. I can see a lot of high schoolers buying these shoes.

What is ironic is that our certified vendors are NOT allowed to sell DST para online. But it is the ones that aren't certified that do it. We can't control them, except to ask folx not to buy from them.

It is one thing to have a small business doing it, but when you start having major corporations doing it, it opens up a whole new can of worms in an open market.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 10-08-2003, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974
Question to all:

I don't think that they are any different than any other para that anyone can walk in a store and buy EXCEPT here the relation to BGLO's is more subtle and I think makes it even more likely with this than something with Delta Sigma Theta emblazoned across it or Alpha Kappa Alpha clearly written that a non Greek will buy t and sport it. Just a 1913 or an 1908 is very subtle if you are not familiar. IMO.

I do think that it is shady that they are trying to use us as a target audience while subverting our licensing provisions. I think we need to work on spreading the word to each other not to buy these shoes and to write to the company and let them know why, that we have money to spend and we will not spend it with them.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Ladygreek and Kimmie1913!

I can understand how someone who doesn't know about BGLOs would buy them just because of the colors (I guess they think the year on the shoe would be a model number or something ).

That is STRAIGHT SHADY for them to make these shoes without doing the right thing. (paying for licensing, etc.).

BOO on Nike/Converse!