Welcome to our newest member, samthaswimmer
» Online Users: 1,379
1 members and 1,378 guests
LaneSig

Old 10-04-2002, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Merging w/ Another Org

Hi everyone!

I've been a silent observer for some time now, but I had a question/dilemma to ask for some advice about. I did a search and was unable to find what I am looking for, so here it goes:

I'm in a local, well regional sorority (that shall remain nameless) and we are sorta in a jam. Currently, we have 4 chapters. One is currently inactive b/c all the members have graduated and moved on more or less. Another one is doing ok, but they only have 3 active members. The other two are doing quite well (each currently have 7-10 members). Right now, we have been trying to expand and we currently have an interest group. Hopefully this group will complete all the necessary processes and become a chapter.

But this is the thing: I, along w/ several sisters, think we need to merge w/ another, more established sorority. Our sorority has been in existence for 12 years and we only have 4 chapters (technically 3 active ones). My sisters and I LOVE our org and we have been trying to work with our National E-Board to try to make things better. One of the biggest problems I think we have is compromise. One of our stronger chapters seems to have issues with our National Board. Every time some idea is suggested for improvement or change, they seem to have a problem with it. It's not ALL the time, but majority of the time. It's like they can't seem to compromise. Some of my sisters and I feel like we are constantly going in circles because of this, hence the reason we can't seem to get anywhere with expansion and other improvements we need to make. So we were thinking that maybe we need to merge with someone else. We are just at a lost and don't know how to solve all this back and forth. It really seems like when we take one step forward, we take 4 steps back

Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone's org actually merged with another one? How does that work? I'm assuming we'd have to pledge all over again if we did this, which is something we aren't looking forward to. But we are willing to if this will help us.

Thanks!
Lauren

Last edited by lauren1234; 10-04-2002 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Question just an idea...

If you wanted to become more "established" for lack of a better word, you could look into some of the other local/regional groups that have more chapters. They are always looking for expansion opportunities and then you'd automatically have more chapters and be a bit more stable. It will almost impossible for you to join an NPC ecause they like the chapter to have chapter sizes much larger than your to join, but you could try to colonize with one. You go to npcwomen.com to check it out. But there are many regional/national sororities that are not in NPC that you could merge with: Theta Nu Xi, Beta Sigma Phi, Alpha DeltA Chi, and many more! Check out the local section of this board and just look to see if anything appeals to you. I hope whatever you choose it works out wonderfully for you!
Old 10-04-2002, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Random question:

Is your national board composed of mostly founders and early members of the organization?
Old 10-05-2002, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

lauren1234: Where at in Michigan are you from? Send me a PM. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2002, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dardenr
Random question:

Is your national board composed of mostly founders and early members of the organization?
dardenr,

Our National Board is actually composed of more younger members. None of our founders or any alums from our one chapter that died out are active....they haven't been for years and years! We can't even get a hold of the majority of them. We did have one founder on the board last year, but she had to quit b/c of family and job reasons. So our board is mainly made up of recent alums from the chapters that are doing well. I feel like b/c it's a young board, that is one of the reasons we tend to have these issues. I know that we are still young (although 12 years is a long time to be around) and we are still having these growing pains, but it's getting to the point of if we dont really get our act together, we are going to die out.
Old 10-05-2002, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmmm. . .what a situation you have.

I really don't know what to say. . .other than if you REALLY believe in the principles of your organization, then you should try to stick with it.

I wonder why the founders are inactive. . .maybe some problems you all are having now could be solved with the guidance of those members, who have probably seen it all before.

Good luck!
Old 10-11-2002, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

lauren1234, you might want to post this in the "Greek Life" section as more people would view your question and might be able to give you information. I know that there have been several Greek organization mergers in the past, so someone should be able to give you suggestions.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to zchi2
Lauren1234, I think I understand where you are coming from. I sometimes wonder why so many new fraternities and sororities are now popping up with the same purpose and ideals of other organizations that are also new. I understand why some might not want to merge with an organization that is very established and old, but why aren't some of the newer organizations such as the multicultural/latin/asian fraternities and sororities joining forces instead of just creating more? I'm sure that your organization is not the only one that needs help, but how do you find out which organizations feel the same way that you do?
I wish you much luck in saving your organization and don't give up.

I believe that sometimes sororities and fraternities not only keep their rituals and traditions a secret, but people are too afraid to say that they need help too. I just think that the purpose of some organizations get lost when there are three and four groups on the campus doing the same thing and fighting for members.
Old 10-11-2002, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Why You Don't See Mergers...

If I was in Lauren1234's situation, I would NOT want my organization to merge under any circumstances. I would rather see my sisterhood go out on its own terms than take on the letters, rituals, and ideals of any other organization. I cannot speak for all members of LGLOs, but I know that the majority of us pursued our particular organizations above all the other choices we had after carefully considering the options. I am a member of Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc. for the rest of my life, whether it continues to grow and prosper, or whether it dies out. I would never take the letters of another sorority, no matter how large or successful they are. Further, there is no way I would ever want a smaller organization to merge with us, because I would always know that those ladies did not have Lambda Theta Nu in their hearts...or else they would have pursued membership in my sorority in the first place.

Lauren1234, I think you should set up an emergency meeting of your organization and urge as many sisters (active and alumnae) to attend as possible. If everyone is able to have her voice heard, you will eventually be able to come to some agreement as to how to proceed. Best wishes to you and your sisters!
Old 10-13-2002, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. This is a really tough situation to be in. On one hand, I am involved in a sisterhood that I love very much and I have worked hard since I've been a member to try to make it better. However, on the other side, we have a lot of sisters that are not willing to do what it takes to keep the sorority going. And it's frustrating to have to only so few do virtually everything to keep it alive.

As far as holding an emergency meeting, we've been there, done that! I mean, we can try again and see if anything happens. The thing is is that we have these meetings to try and rally everyone together. And they work for a while, but then everyone starts slacking off again...all the excuses come back and we're left w/ just a few sisters trying to hold everything together. It's SO annoying and the sisters that ARE doing something are just getting so burnt out. It just sucks. I know being in a sorority was going to be a lot of work, but geez, it's like pulling teeth!

This is why several of us were thinking of merging. We were looking to merge w/ someone else instead of vice versa. It's just getting to the point where I want to start turning away people who are interested b/c of our current state. It's embarrassing, ya know? We've already had new sisters coming in and w/in months they are complaining to the older sisters that the sorority isn't what they thought it would be, etc. We've even had a some leave after only a year (if that) of being active. *sigh* It's just sad. But we will try some of these suggestions and any others that anyone has for us.
Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate it

Lauren
Old 10-21-2002, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

merging

Hi, I'm an alumnae of a small women's fraternity (8 active chapters) and we are interested in expanding to other campuses. I can't speak for the international board but I would like to know more about your campus and chapter to see if it is a possibility for you to merge with us. It might be a good fit for both of us. Email me reply ect.
I would like to hear from you
Thanks
Melanie
Ceres International Women's Fraternity
Old 11-04-2002, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

greek chat prob?

Why does it not show up on the right that I have posted last?