GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 1,066
0 members and 1,066 guests
No Members online

Old 02-22-2007, 05:10 PM

Sympathy for Phi Sigma Sigma Chapter at Maryland

http://media.www.diamondbackonline.c...-2727659.shtml

A university student was shot and killed in an apparent double murder-suicide early yesterday in Tempe, Ariz., during a trip to visit a childhood friend.

Police identified the student as Nicole Schiffman, a sophomore letters and sciences major who had flown across the country late last week to celebrate the 20th birthday of Carol Kestenbaum, a student at Arizona State University. Kestenbaum was also killed in the shooting, police said.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 02-22-2007, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

What a damn state of affairs for a young person to go to a celebration for a Sister and then perish!

My sympathy for Her Family and Sisters from both Chapters.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-23-2007, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phi sig girly Send a message via Yahoo to phi sig girly
:(

i hadnt heard about that....that's awful...
Old 02-23-2007, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

That's really sad. I can't even imagine how the phi sig's are holding up...my thoughts are with them.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 02-23-2007, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
Wow, that's sad and scary. My sympathies go to them.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 02-24-2007, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisigduchesscv
Phi Sigma Sigma Sister Killed While Visiting Childhood Friend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For immediate release

ELKRIDGE, Md. (Feb. 19, 2007) – A University of Maryland Phi Sigma Sigma sister was murdered on Sunday morning while visiting Arizona State University to celebrate her childhood friend’s birthday.

Nicole Schiffman, 19, a sister of the Beta Alpha chapter at the University of Maryland-College Park, was killed when a gunman opened fire on her and a childhood friend, Carol Kestenbaum, 20. The women, who attended high school together in Bellmore, N.Y., had been celebrating Kestenbaum’s birthday in Tempe, Ariz., where Kestenbaum was a university student. Schiffman had flown there for the weekend, according to reports.

“This senseless tragedy has drawn the entire Phi Sigma Sigma community to our sisters at the University of Maryland-College Park campus,” said Phi Sigma Sigma International President Sandy Grossman. “Our immediate concern is for the well-being of those coping with this terrible loss, and we extend our deepest, heart-felt sympathies to the families and friends of Nicole and Carol.”

“Support from the University of Maryland Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and the University Counseling Center has been extraordinary,” said Phi Sigma Sigma Executive Director Michelle Ardern. “The outpouring of warmth from other fraternity and sorority chapters on campus has been a source of great comfort for women in the chapter.”

Sorority sisters remember Nicole, a sophomore journalism major, as an amazing friend with an infectious laugh and a great sense of humor. Her presence, beautiful personality and commitment to her chapter and sisters will be forever remembered. Jennifer Sims, a close friend and chapter sister shared, “Nicole valued her friendships and loved to have fun, yet knew how to balance it all as a successful student, loving sister and an amazing daughter. Nicole’s joy and warmth will be missed but certainly never forgotten.”

Another sorority sister, Rebecca Stern, noted that “only Nicole would fly thousands of miles across the country to be there with one of her best friends to celebrate a birthday. She always had a smile on her face, she had a great sense of humor, she was funny, and most of all, she was a good friend.”

The funeral will be held Wednesday morning, February 21 at the Gutterman’s Funeral Home, Rockville Center, N.Y.

The chapter is establishing a fund in Nicole's memory through the Phi Sigma Sigma Foundation. Donations marked "in memory of Nicole Schiffman" can be sent to:
Phi Sigma Sigma Foundation
8178 Lark Brown Road, Suite 202
Elkridge, MD 21075

Condolences can be sent to the Beta Alpha Chapter:
Phi Sigma Sigma
4531 College Avenue
College Park, MD 20740

IG - CKA
Vice Archon - So. LA County Alumnae Chapter
Old 03-05-2007, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

to my sisters..

Even though I never knew this sister. I felt a connection with her and Beta Alpha of Phi Sigma Sigma. Sisters... I am so sorry to hear about your loss. You all will be in my prayers.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

That is really terrible and I feel for the girls' families, friends and siblings.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

this story is so sad
Old 03-07-2007, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

It is absolutely terrible that such things happen in the world.

My thoughts and prayers are with the PhiSigSig chapter at Maryland.