GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,160
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,267
2 members and 1,265 guests
Cookiez17, MSKKG

Old 06-14-2002, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Delta Phi????

Ok, how many GLOs use the letters KDPHI?

As far as I know, there's an IFC fraternity named KDPHI

There's also an Asian Sorority named KDPHI

And now, apparently there are a couple more KDPHIs on this forum.

Anyone know of any more?
Old 06-14-2002, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

As far as I know, the Asian interest sorority is alpha Kappa Delta Phi.

So it's not quite the same...

--Greekgrrl
Old 06-14-2002, 03:42 PM
Unregistered-

Wink

To echo Greekgrrl, yes the Asian Interest Sorority women are known as alpha Kappa Delta Phi. However, I've seen them refer to themselves as aKDPhis or sometimes KDPhis. I guess it depends on their campus.
Old 06-14-2002, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaTarzan
kappa delta phi is in fact a fraternity. we are sisters to that fraternity, our own sorority with the same letters. we have the same basic affiliation program and the same mottos and ideals...

if you notice in my sig however the girls always put NAS after the letters.. even on our shirts or whatever. it stands for National Affiliate Sorority.

the asian sorority is ALPHA kappa delta phi..

so yes, there are two orgs who use KDPhi, but we are brother/sister orgs
Old 06-14-2002, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to brownsugakdphi
Hey Everyone

Well I guess since everyone is wondering about the whole KDPhi thing, I might as well explain my sorority. Yes, I am part of alpha Kappa Delta Phi, and we are the only nationwide Asian Interest Sorority. When people see our clothing it often looks like KDPhi, but if you look real closely at the Kappa, you'll see that there is a lowercase alpha on it. We go by KDPhi and sometimes aKDPhi, but our organization's official nickname is KDPhi... I hope that clears up any confusion. Oh btw, we do know about the fraternity KDPhi, and we are in no way trying to use their letters for any malicious or deceitful purpose... Oh, and I've also been asked about the four letter sorority thing... Believe me, there are quite a few local and nationals with four letters....
That's my say on this topic-
In Eternal Love and Friendship,
Brown Suga
alpha Kappa Delta Phi Sorority, Inc.

DeltaSigStan... as far as I know, other than the ones posted, there are no other Kappa Delta Phis....
Old 06-14-2002, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a question, brownsugakdphi, and if it's none of my business just tell me! I suspect it very well might not be. Why is the alpha lowercase? I'm just curious because as far as I know aKDPhi is the only GLO that uses a lowercase letter.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Fuzziealum,

Well this might not be the most formal answer, but it's a good guess. Our founders had intentions of using KDPhi as our letters, but when it became known that there was another fraternity, they adopted the fourth letter (alpha). The alpha is lowercase to exemplify a subscript (does not constitute a fourth "real" letter). Our letters stand for something as do many other greek letter organizations, but the alpha is used to distinguish us and does not have significance other than that. I hope that helps a little...
Old 06-14-2002, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

That does! I won't ask what the rest of the letters stand for.

I had thought maybe "A" for for "Asian"!
Old 06-14-2002, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

brownsugakdphi,
When you wear your letters on a tshirt, do you wear all 4 letters?
I saw that you posted that your founders had intentions of using KDPhi as the letters, so I was just wondering if you wore the 3 letters (and with KDPhi being your nickname, too)

From a practical perspective, can you fit 4 letters across the front of a shirt? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I honestly want to know!

I come from a 2 letter org, so we have a bit more room leftoever!
Thanks!
Old 06-14-2002, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

CutiePie 2000,
Believe me (my sisters can attest to this), it's not the best situation to have four letters. Most garments can only fit three letters across, and that's why we put the alpha on the Kappa. But, what is even worse is that a lot of people don't carry clothes/paraphanelia for us or don't offer services that would allow for the alpha to be added. For example, we can't usually purchase laveliers because they are only made for three letters (max). When you add one more letter (especially a lowercase letter), the price jumps enormously. Usually the only places we get clothes from are from silkscreening or our national convention. Some girls actually will buy something that says KDPhi and add a script alpha to it, and that usually works. However we are allowed to have one or two pieces not requiring the alpha -paddles and standards.... That's about it. I hope I answered your question, and if anyone has any suggestions to our clothing/paraphanelia problems let me know!

Brown Suga
Old 06-15-2002, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

honestly, knowing that we are kappa delta phi as well it kind of bothers me that another org we aren't affiliated with wears our letters... i know its something that happens, but still, its kind of bothersome to me... i mean, imagine if there was an aKKG and they just wore KKG letters, or for that matter a KAPhi and they just wore APhi letters... i don't know, just weird i guess..
Old 06-15-2002, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Again, it's not the same thing, but when an organization that was started almost 20 yrs later uses your nicknames (DSP, DeltaSig), and gets you confused with them when you're the cool social fraternity and they're the, well.......co-ed business frat, it's also very frustrating.

Especially doesn't help when your chapter is rebuilding.
Old 06-15-2002, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Again, it's not the same thing, but when an organization that was started almost 20 yrs later uses your nicknames (DSP, DeltaSig), and gets you confused with them when you're the cool social fraternity and they're the, well.......co-ed business frat, it's also very frustrating.

Especially doesn't help when your chapter is rebuilding
deltasigstan, i agree.. it is amazingly frustratingw hen you work so hard for your letters to represent your org and another uses them.. who knows what they may do to represent themselves and effectively YOUR letters???
Old 06-17-2002, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Let me begin first by stating my intentions... I am not intending to offend anyone, but instead trying to share my feelings about the issues already discussed on this forum. I encourage anyone and everyone to share their feelings as well, and welcome and comments, questions, or suggestions. Also, I am in no way providing as a spokeswoman for my organization...

My responses are directed to issues regarding my sorority and the use of our letters, alpha Kappa Delta Phi. First and foremost, we are not using nor wearing anyone else's letters as said in previous posts. As I've mentioned earlier, we do have "alpha" embroidered and added onto our paraphanelia, and at no point do we recognize ourselves as sisters of Kappa Delta Phi. Furthermore, our use of the nickname KDPhi, is not an issue exclusive to our particular organization. Many other organizations use similar nicknames (i.e. "Beta") to refer to themselves, yet it is understood that these organizations are dissimilar in makeup and orientation. For an individual to argue that we can not use a nickname similar to theirs is absurd and creating unneccessary conflict.
In addition, my sisters and I have worked for our letters and have the right to wear our letters. We are not wearing any other letters except our own, and because of our sacrifices, love, and sisterhood we should have the right to wear our own letters without the risk of someone getting offended. Yes, our letters are dissimilar to another organizations by the use of one letter, but that is something common in the Greek World. You have Alpha Phi and Alpha Phi Omega, Sigma Kappa and Sigma Pi. You don't see these organizations going at it because of a single letter difference, and so I ask why now and why us?
Also, it was mentioned that these other organizations fear a member of my organization misrepresenting our organization and effectively misrepresenting their own. If a member of my organization misrepresents our organization, it is an insult to my organization, and it will be effectively handled by my organization. I wouldn't expect others to get offended because of this, because this issue has nothing to do with them. Likwise I wouldn't get involved in other organization's businesses becaus it's not my own. If a Kappa Zeta Phi misrepresents her organization, none of my members would come running because (1) it isn't our business, (2) we have faith that KZPhi can effectively remedy the situation and (3) we have better things to worry about.

Lastly, KappaTarzan to point something out, aren't you wearing someone else's letters, namely a fraternity's? You've said that the letters are theirs, except for adding a little NAS for distinction. It seems like a similar situation, but maybe I'm completely wrong. That could be the case because I don't know much about your organization. Similarily, you could be making the same kind of wrong assumptions because of your lack of knowledge of my organization. I would just ask that in the future, before you acknowledge such conclusions, that you ask questions before you assume such things.

I'll just end this message with a little quote, "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet" (I probably wrote this wrong), but it proves my point. Regardless of the letters we wear, my organization would still strive for certain things and still maintain the high qualities of excellence that we observe, so there seems to be no real need to change something that makes no difference...

Just some thoughts,
In Eternal Love and Friendship,
Brown Suga
Old 06-17-2002, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

i really don't think it was necessary for you to get so upset. i simply stated that the fact that another org was wearing my letters upset me.. i'm sure it would upset any. when you wear an alpha on it, thats totally different, and nothing that i would be upset about.. the thing that kind of concerned me was this quote:

Quote:
However we are allowed to have one or two pieces not requiring the alpha
i mean.. i'm not losing sleep over this or anything. i was just like "hey.. that sucks". not a huge deal...
regarding the fact that you worked hard for you letters, i have no doubt in my mind that you did. i'm sure you gave alot to it, just as we did. i was just saying if you do in fact wear the letters kdphi with no alpha that would be like an org like sigma alphi phi wearing just aphi letters.

QUOTE]Lastly, KappaTarzan to point something out, aren't you wearing someone else's letters, namely a fraternity's? You've said that the letters are theirs, except for adding a little NAS for distinction[/QUOTE]

the fraternity who wears the same letters as us is our brother fraternity. we have the same ideals, mottos, and affiliate ("pledge") program. we call them our brothers. wearing the same letters as them isn't weird cuz they have the same ideals as we do. therefore, no. i am not wearing someone else's letters.

its just the little things... like when i first saw your name, brownsugakdphi, i thought you were one of my sisters because i thought it was like brownsuga Kdphi, nor realizing the a stood two purposes... just things like that are kinda blah. as i said before i'm not like horrendously upset, nor did i even think about it after i posted that response. i don't have anything against you or your org, i was just like hmm that sucks...

one last night.. you said if someone misrepresented themselves that you wouldn't go running to worry about it. personally, if i saw someone wearing my letters who wasn't my sister i'd be pretty upset. maybe we are different with out letters here, each org has different regulations...

and let me leave with a quote as well. "sisterhood is valued and sacred. let no one take that."

peace, love and, lollipops,

mtsnd
KappaTarzan