GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,167
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,345
1 members and 1,344 guests
John
Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard
What do you consider 'Binge' drinking?

As we're all most likely to be grouped into that wonderful classification of binge drinkers by the outside worlds understanding (basically, that we're in college), I'd like to know what you guys consider to be binge drinking. run wild with it

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace
Old 10-03-2001, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't know, never done it or seen it been done.

Definitely not something that would be on the show alf.
Old 10-03-2001, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't consider my weekend activities to be binge drinking even though school authorities may. I consider it social drinking. Going out with some friends, having fun and having a few drinks. I don't get so drunk that i can't remember the things i did, the people i saw, or where i was.

to me, binge drinking is more like going to the bar on a tuesday night just for the hell of it, and getting extremely wasted even though you have an 8:30 the next day.
or, picking up a case to drink while you procrastinate studying for the midterm you have the next day. or even drinking just becuasse you have nothing ebtter to do.

i guess i would classify binge drinking as putting drinking before the stuff you really need to get done.
Old 10-03-2001, 04:08 PM

I can think of one gcer who might fit this mold....
To me, the alcoholic definition of binging is going sober for let's say, a month or more but then getting drunk at least 5 days in a row. As for students, I would say anyone that gets jablootoed 3 or more times a week on a regular basis probably has a drinking problem....but not a cashflow problem
Old 10-03-2001, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow Medical Definition of "Binge Drinking"

I pretty much would have to agree with the medical definition of binge drinking (consuming at least five alcoholic drinks in a row for men, and four in a row for women). I think that many drinks consecutively meets the definition of "binge."

According to Dictionary.com "binge" means...

binge (bnj)
n.
1. A drunken spree or revel.
2a.) A period of unrestrained, immoderate self-indulgence.
2b.) A period of excessive or uncontrolled indulgence in food or drink: e.g. an eating binge.

(For these definitions see: http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=binge )

I think 4-5 drinks in a row could be considered a binge. Of course, a person consuming four drinks could, conceivably, drink them in a controlled manner (so that negates the term "binge" a little bit).

I guess it all depends on your definition of "binge," and "excessive." What is excessive for one, might not be for another.

ANYWAY, those are my thoughts...

Jen

PS

I found the following article on WebMD.com:

A New Look at Binge Drinking on Campus:
Harvard Researchers Update Landmark 1997 Study

By Denise Mann
WebMD Medical News

Feb. 29, 2000 (New York) -- Three years after a definitive Harvard study indicated that 42% of college students were binge drinkers, the same researchers are set to release an updated report that will show whether anything has changed.

The 1997 study, along with several highly publicized alcohol-related deaths of college students, focused national attention on the issue of binge drinking on campuses. Binge drinking is defined as consuming at least five alcoholic drinks in a row for men, and four in a row for women.

Read the rest of the article at...
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1728.55308

Last edited by TechAPhi; 10-03-2001 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2001, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
yikes..i'm a serious binger i guess...I like to bong beer and i bong 2 or 3 at a time.....damn....maybe I should chill a little.......hrm....maybe.....

d
Old 10-03-2001, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
I believe in legal terms its 4 beers and a short period of time and occurs more than 3 days a week.
Old 10-03-2001, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

LiL_ I hope you are not refering to me!!!!!!

I do not binge, I keep amellow state from that Great State of CALIF.
But my fine children, there is a winery in the Land Of OZ which is just West of me and He and His Daughter the Lovely Michell are the Wine Honchos!
I for one only drink when I am drinking, NO MORE and NO LESS!!!

Binge Drinkers are Amatures who think it makes them look big in the eyes of the beholder! These are the ones who die from Alchol poisining! It very well and can do things to your body that WILL KILL YOU!!!!

Having been in the liquor business and being a COP I have seen the best and the worst that can happen to the human body!

I damn near got in trouble for putting a 357 Mag to a Doctors head who would not work on a comotose underage kid from drugs and alcohal! Liability! BS!!!!
Had to go to another Hospital and they started working on him, thank god, but when his eyes came ope,k the first one he wanted to kill was me!

When they finally got him strapped in, I went home because my uniform was covered from mud climbing to get him out and to the hospital!

iam sorry for relating this, but I guanretee you that is something that i will never forget, especially the look of I will kill you in his eyes when he tried!

Be sociable not stupid!
Sorry I am on a JAG!! When it comes to this subject!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-03-2001, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
wow..i didn't know you were a cop..but I do take that story to heart..I went to the e.r. once for alcohol poisoning.... not a good experience......not at all.....but...i don't drink to get drunk 3 or more days a week, hell I haven't been drunk really, in over 2 weeks....a drink here, a drink there...

d
Old 10-03-2001, 07:53 PM

The legal definition of binge drinking (as I recall) is 5 drinks in a sitting for men, 4 for women, at least once every two weeks.

The problem I've always had with this is, what is a sitting? If I go to a restaurant for dinner with family or friends, have a martini, 2 glasses of wine, and then a glass of cognac, does that make me a binge drinker? I've had these drinks over the course of, say, 2 hours. I wouldn't drive, but I don't "feel drunk". To me, that's not binge drinking; that's social drinking, with a meal, with friends and family.

To me, binge drinking is drinking strictly to get drunk on a regular basis (whether alone or with friends).
Old 10-03-2001, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

To me, a binge is drinking a lot in a short amount of time, regardless of when it is or how often it happens. If I eat a whole cake, that's a binge. Doesn't matter what day it happens.

Old 10-03-2001, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Binge Drinking is defined as five or more drinks in one sitting (a sitting being 1 to two hours [depending on body weight, etc] straight, one right after the other).

It doesn't matter how many days a week. If it happens more than three times a week, you might have a problem. Even if you don't binge, if you get drunk 3 times a week, you might want to chill or get help.
Old 10-04-2001, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by Optimist Prime
Binge Drinking is defined as five or more drinks in one sitting (a sitting being 1 to two hours [depending on body weight, etc] straight, one right after the other).

It doesn't matter how many days a week. If it happens more than three times a week, you might have a problem. Even if you don't binge, if you get drunk 3 times a week, you might want to chill or get help.
The problem with these, as with all definitions, is that one cannot create arbitary definitions to fit everyone into.

5 drinks in a row doesn't faze some people - hell, it might not put them over .10 (pub intox level in many states) - that's set to 4 drinks average. For others, it might mean they're crapfaced and making idiots of themselves.

A true drinking problem, as defined by the DSM IV, is one in which the body requires alcohol, and negative side-effects accompany a lack of drinking. These side effects normally include depression on some level (even slight), withdrawal, lack of concentration/drive, and physical weakness.

The difficult part is separating "I need a beer!" from "DAMMIT give me a beer" . . . a drinking problem cannot be quantified by number of times per week, nor drinks per sitting. Definition can only be acquired via the reasons behind the drinking, and the effects it has on the body.

If you get sloshed wednesday through saturday, you probably have many problems - bad grades, shitty cashflow, and bad headaches five days a week. Does this mean you have a 'drinking problem', ie alcoholism? Quite possibly - but only if you fit other criteria.

Binge drinking is the same way . . . if you've just drank more than usual, faster than usual, you've binged. If you're saying "that test sucked, let's get f-ing retarded" - you're binging. If you've had five drinks in a row, but socially w/out a significant impact on motor skills . . . well according to WebMD you're binging, but I don't know that I buy it.

Just my $0.02, from a kid that actively studies this sorta stuff . . .
Old 10-04-2001, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Excellent post KSig RC...

KSig RC: You make some very valid points. It is very difficult to quantify such things. I hear what you're saying and agree with many of your arguments.

The numbers quoted on WebMD are the generally accepted figures for "binge drinking." Whether they are apt, or make sense in all situations, is doubtful.

My husband is a doctor, and he says that those numbers generally apply to 4-5 drinks within a relatively short period of time (he named an hour). I think that five alcoholic beverages in an hour is quite a lot. I think a case could definitely be made for that being called a "binge." However, as you noted, the same number of drinks in, say, an entire evening, in my book would not necessarily constitute "binge drinking."

Jen

Last edited by TechAPhi; 10-04-2001 at 03:21 AM.
Old 10-04-2001, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Re: Excellent post KSig RC...

Quote:
Originally posted by TechAPhi
KSig RC: You make some very valid points. It is very difficult to quantify such things. I hear what you're saying and agree with many of your arguments.

The numbers quoted on WebMD are the generally accepted figures for "binge drinking." Whether they are apt, or make sense in all situations, is doubtful.

My husband is a doctor, and he says that those numbers generally apply to 4-5 drinks within a relatively short period of time (he named an hour). I think that five alcoholic beverages in an hour is quite a lot. I think a case could definitely be made for that being called a "binge." However, as you noted, the same number of drinks in, say, an entire evening, in my book would not necessarily constitute "binge drinking."

Jen
Excellent point Jen - I really wasn't trying to bash yalls definition, just pointing out the arbitrary nature of the beast. Generally though, I'd agree with you, straight up.
Closed Thread