Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,206
1 members and 1,205 guests
No Members online

Old 12-04-2008, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Is the recession making you depressed? Cranky?

http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_d...=5&id=413&cn=5

My sister works retail, and has noticed a sharp uptick in cranky customers. Some of that may be the season (why does Christmas bring out the worst in so many?), but I've noticed an overall decline in the moods of friends and family. Heck, come to that, I'm much grumpier than usual.

Have y'all noticed a difference in your mood or that of those around you? Do you think it's the economy? It's tough to be upbeat when you are worried about your mortgage, or your job . . . what do you think?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_d...=5&id=413&cn=5

My sister works retail, and has noticed a sharp uptick in cranky customers. Some of that may be the season (why does Christmas bring out the worst in so many?), but I've noticed an overall decline in the moods of friends and family. Heck, come to that, I'm much grumpier than usual.

Have y'all noticed a difference in your mood or that of those around you? Do you think it's the economy? It's tough to be upbeat when you are worried about your mortgage, or your job . . . what do you think?
It could also be Seasonal Affective Disorder for those who live in the Northern Hemisphere... IDK?

There is also an uptick in violent criminal activities perpetrated by first-time offenders...

Haven't noted too much drug abuse, yet. But I suspect that will occur, too. Don't know what the drug of choice will be because most top ones folks are too afraid of getting busted--i.e. crack, crank, smack and meth or glass...

I have seen plenty of crankiness going around... Somedays I deal with it, other days, I don't even deal with it.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 12-04-2008, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
My crankiness is age.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm getting cranky and depressed from listening to my bf constantly drone on about how America is headed into a downward spiral that will be even worse than the great depression.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't say I'm depressed... more like severely frustrated that no one is hiring so I'm stuck in this job that I have hated for years. My own company isn't even hiring or filling vacant positions either so it's not like I can just move around.

I do think that my frustration with everything has definitely affected my mood at work (that and having to deal with our idiot customers).
Old 12-04-2008, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
My crankiness is age.
You are NOT old... Old is my dad who is cantankerous and has 8 cars he cannot afford to drive and wants another one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
I'm getting cranky and depressed from listening to my bf constantly drone on about how America is headed into a downward spiral that will be even worse than the great depression.
He needs an enema... Make him some Exlax-special chocolate holiday brownies...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 12-04-2008, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Special brownies!

The gift that keeps on giving . . .
Old 12-05-2008, 06:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm seeing it a lot, but just about everybody I know has at least one bread earner working for one of the auto companies or a supplier and they are all feeling it. It's the talk of the day, every day, everywhere you go. It absolutely doesn't help that we're approaching the shortest day of the year and it's been really cloudy so we haven't seen much of the sun. That does affect people.

I'm cranky because my car has been in shops for over two weeks now, I'm paying for a rental in the meantime which is eating up my Christmas budget quickly. I have an appointment to test drive my Saturn Vue tomorrow though
Old 12-05-2008, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm tired of talking about the recession/economy. I haven't personally been affected, my company hasn't been doing much in the way of layoffs, and my parents aren't impacted negatively (yes, people can be impacted positively by this sort of thing). I have a few friends who did get laid off, but they got pretty sweet severance packages and they aren't really looking for a job now.

I feel like the media drives things almost to the point of hysteria about this, and I'm so tired of it.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I'm tired of talking about the recession/economy. I haven't personally been affected, my company hasn't been doing much in the way of layoffs, and my parents aren't impacted negatively (yes, people can be impacted positively by this sort of thing). I have a few friends who did get laid off, but they got pretty sweet severance packages and they aren't really looking for a job now.

I feel like the media drives things almost to the point of hysteria about this, and I'm so tired of it.
This is pretty much us, too, only no one we know has been laid off. We're watching our budget more closely, sure, but that's due more to the addition of another kid rather than the economy.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Not really; luckily my wife and I haven't been hit hard by it at our workplaces. I will say that the atmosphere around the law school is definitely more depressed than usual. A lot of law firms, of all sizes (from the large top tier firms to the smaller firms) have been cutting summer associate/first year associate staffing levels, so there are people who thought they had a job offer and had it pulled. So, there are a lot more 3rd years (and 4th year evening students) looking for jobs around this time of year. Usually, most people know what they're doing by October or so.

ETA: To be honest, I'm a little concerned, so I've started staying later at work and taking on more work, essentially to make myself more "valuable" to the company. It gets a bit busy with law school on top of the 50-60 hour work weeks, but if anything comes down the line I don't want to be at the top of the firing list.

Last edited by KSigkid; 12-05-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, to be frankly honest, I am pretty darn depressed about it. MANY of our customers are in the automotive parts industry, and every sale we make to them has an aura of fear attached to it. If GM and Ford declare bankruptcy, are our customers next? And if so, are we next?

I've started dreaming about work at night - a sure fire way to get no restful sleep!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post

I wish I could believe that it is all media hype - but in my case I know it is all too true. I have been personally affected, my friends and family have received no sweet severance packages, and the job hunt continues for me and many others. Count your blessings, Munchkin.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I wish I could believe that it is all media hype - but in my case I know it is all too true. I have been personally affected, my friends and family have received no sweet severance packages, and the job hunt continues for me and many others. Count your blessings, Munchkin.

Apparently the recession IS making you cranky. Where did you see that I wasn't counting my blessings? I've lost 40% of my retirement savings. Good thing I don't retire for another 35 years, and I'm still on track to have over a million upon retirement!

I don't doubt that we're in a recession--everyone with the HOTT severance packages would still have jobs if the economy was good, remember? I do wonder how much the media hypes it up and makes the average Joe freak out a little too much.

Jaysis, woman. Stand down!

Last edited by Munchkin03; 12-05-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't over-react. I'm truly happy for those who are not affected. I wish I were one of your number. Perhaps I misunderstood your original post, but my take on it was you are tired of hearing about the recession, it has not really affected you or those you know, and you think it is media hype. Is that fair, or did I miss something subtle? It wasn't meant to be a snarky "Count your blessings" . . . it was a sincere "Boy howdy are you lucky".

If you are truly tired of talking about it, though, I do wonder why you even came to this thread. I began the thread because I did honestly wonder if it is just me, or if others are cranky, or depressed, or whatever. When you are dealing with your own personal crisis it is sometimes hard to gauge where your personal take on it ends and the overall reality begins. Yes, the media can overhype things - but sometimes there is some truth to the coverage, also.

eta - I guess you could say that it is affecting everyone's mood - some by their being affected by it, some by having to deal with the unrelenting media hype.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 12-05-2008 at 12:40 PM.