Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,294
2 members and 1,292 guests
Cookiez17, flirt5721

Old 04-03-2003, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Collegiate Chapters???

hey gamma girls,
does anyone know how many collegiate chapters we have now?
also, can anyone tell me how to figure out which pledge class you're in? what i mean, is that alot of chapters, when they initiate their members, they say, "you're a member of the delta nu pledge class" of beta chapter of gamma phi beta.... i only know that i was initiated in jan. 2001. is there any way to figure out what my pledge class' name is? or how we can start using this system in the future at our chapter?
i would really appreciate your help.
gamma love!
Old 04-03-2003, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
I'm not sure how many active collegiate chapters we have, but about the pledge classes, our chapter had the charter sisters and then the first class initiated after that was Alpha, then Beta, and so on. So I was initiated with Tau class and this weekend we will initiate the Alpha Alpha class.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

ok, so i work back from the charter members of my own alpha alpha chapter? oh, geez, that's going to take a while. we've initiated twice every year for a really long time. hmm.
thanks for getting back to me!!
gamma love
Old 04-04-2003, 04:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphiangel624
Although most chapters do the naming of their pledge classes (for example, I'm Alpha Xi, our newest girls are Alpha Sigma, etc), I recently found out that IH doesn't condone the pledge class naming. Our PCD, Linda Babcock, made me aware of this when she received our quarterly newsletter and it mentioned congrats to Alpha Sigma on their initiation. I guess IH considers the naming of classes hazing and said that we "can" use the names, but shouldn't make it something that IH is aware of.

SmartBlondeGPhiB, you may know a lot more about this... any info? Because I never felt like I was being hazed in any way, shape, or form by having a name for our pledge class. I mean, it was all the same to me whether we were called "Fall 1999" or "Alpha Xi"?

In TTKE, Carol
Old 04-04-2003, 05:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
Quote:
Originally posted by gphiangel624
Because I never felt like I was being hazed in any way, shape, or form by having a name for our pledge class. I mean, it was all the same to me whether we were called "Fall 1999" or "Alpha Xi"?

In TTKE, Carol
Yeah, we were informed of this as well. The reason that it is considered to be hazing is because it separates the new members from the sisters if you say "the Alpha Xi class...." whatever. I've actually found that it makes things somewhat easier for our FVP when housing fees are due... "the housing fee for the Alpha Xi class is due on ..."

Just my thoughts on it, but that's the reasoning that we were given.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL, thanks for the vote of confidence in my knowledge.........

I was involved in two chapters as a collegiate and neither one of them did/does the naming of pledge class thing. Gamma Epsilon just has the "Spring 2003" etc thing. The PCD's are the experts here so I'd defer to what they told you.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Forgot about the other question.

Contact IH and they can give you the most accurate, up to date number of collegiate and alumnae chapters. Holly, the receptionist, is wonderful for helping.