GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,228
0 members and 1,228 guests
No Members online

Old 05-08-2002, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

chapter closing

I know this is a strange question, amigos ...

If a chapter closes, sometimes the house will be sold, or a local housing corp may retain it. Official items have like the charter go back to nationals. But what happens to other items - the dishes, the trophies, the furniture, etc.?
Old 05-08-2002, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Depends on what's happening... if the local corporation or the national housing corporation is retaining the facility and is renting it, then it will probably be rented furnished (dishes, beds, etc).

If the chapter is going to be back quickly, then perhaps a local alumna or two could be found to store trophies and stuff. Even if not, perhaps they would be willing to store for an extended time.

Another possibility would be for the local corporation, if it has the funds to rent a storage facility. But that can become expensive over a long period.

I'd suggest you contact the national housing corporation via headquarters and see what they can suggest. PM me if you want contacts.

I know its hard, my chapter closed not quite 10 years ago and all of our stuff was sold, given away, or taken by local alums.

BTW, if the facility is sold, be sure that the corporation invests the proceeds securely ... the NHC has an investment fund for holding monies for corporations of closed chapters. Just because the chapter is dormant, doesn't mean that the corporation should be disbanded.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to TPASteph
It depends on the funding of the house and who actually owns it, etc. There is a house on our campus, for instance, that is closed (i.e. no longer exists at all, even nationals) but their house is still there. Their alumni own their old house, I guess they are trying to come back maybe? Who knows. Anyways, all of their furniture and everything is still in there and it didn't close very recently either. It just sits there. I guess you'll probably just have to wait it out and see.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I know our chapter (in PA) got furniture from a closed house in chicago...one of the fraternities that closed on my campus used to rent their house to alum as well.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OnePlus69Is70
We just moved into a house that had been Delta Chi. All their stuff was still there- 30 years' worth of trophies and photos and paddles. It was the saddest thing I've ever seen. We took it all down and locked it in the basement. Sometimes alumni will drop by and we'll take them down, and they'll take their pledge classes paddle or something, but most of it just sits there.
Old 06-23-2002, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry to just jump into your forum....

I actually rushed AZD in spring of 01, the weekend I was supposed to activate the National VP came in and we decided to close the chapter.

I know that the house belongs to nationals, so they chose to lease it out and TKE is living there now. When I asked what would happen to all the composites and albums, etc, Our chapter advisor said they would go into storage, where they would be safe

The good news though... I spoke to the chapter advisor (who took a position as a regional supervisor) and they are trying to recolonize in fall of 04 or 05!
Old 06-24-2002, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

OnePlus, I'm so glad you're being respectful about their stuff and letting their alums see it! That shows real class.

Allie, that is the BEST news. I always hate to hear when our chapters are closing, and I'm glad we're bringing that one back!
Old 06-27-2002, 10:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Often times, it depends on what the national is planning to do with the chapter. If the chapter will recolonize, the national will likely hold onto the house, but rent it for the time being. If the chapter isn't likely to recolonize, the house is usually sold, and the money is placed into escrow for five years, pending a recolonization. That way, should the chapter actually recolonize, the money for housing is still there.

Our chapter at Syracuse closed awhile ago (1995?), and we still own the house, but have rented it to numerous organizations. As for the "stuff", the furniture stays, but all of the memoribilia is put either into storage or into the archives at HQs.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

When my chapter was closed in '95, all of the chapter trophies, composites and other "stuff" was collected up and stored in various Brothers' off-campus houses. However, over the years as Brothers graduated or moved from house to house, a lot of the stuff was lost, destroyed or damaged. Now, with the Chapter rechartered, we are still trying to find some of the more important things - like some of the chapter's international awards and other old historical objects.

In retrospect, it would have been MUCH better if we would have just rented a single storage space to keep everything. I'm sure alumni or someone could have footed the bill for a few years until recolonization. Oh well...hindsight is always 20/20.