Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,292
5 members and 1,287 guests
John, Xidelt

Old 02-26-2003, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Get Involved!!

Yes, I signed up and the only way for her to GET TO THE WHITE HOUSE is if YOU sign up too!!!

NP
Thank you for offering to get involved in Carol Moseley Braun's
campaign! Soon you will hear from a member of Carol's campaign
team.

We invite you to share Carol's message with your friends by
directing them to her campaign site at
www.carolforpresident.com. And we ask you to consider
contributing financially to the campaign - the details are at
www.carolforpresident.com

We are looking forward to an exciting campaign to bring a strong
voice of hope to our national debate. We'll be in touch soon.
Once again, Thank You.

Paid for by Carol Moseley Braun for President, PO Box 16560,
Chicago, IL, 60616-0560

***Contributions to Carol Moseley Braun for President are not tax deductable***

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 10-08-2003 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorhors and Friends of Sigma,

It's time for us to shake up the White House and Rock the Vote! I just signed up as well!

Serioussigma22
Old 02-27-2003, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to 1browngirl Send a message via Yahoo to 1browngirl
Thumbs up

Thanks for the information NinjaPoodle. You and SeriousSigma are right, the only way to change things is to get involved and try to make a difference. I'm going to the website and I will either sign up to volunteer or make a contribution.

As the song goes"....its time, time to make that change, we are the people, who can do it....."

Old 03-15-2003, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

Post One of several articles...

Posted 2/24/2003 6:07 PM
Black, female: Both impair Moseley-Braun's chances

By DeWayne Wickham

Of the eight candidates currently vying for the Democratic presidential nomination, a good case can be made that Carol Moseley-Braun is the least likely to end up as the party's standard-bearer.

The former Illinois senator has two politically fatal flaws: She is black and female. Throughout U.S. history, this combination has been the most pernicious barrier to public office. While women are 50.9% of the population, just 14 of the U.S. Senate's 100 members and only six of the nation's 50 governors are female — and all of them are white. Every one of this nation's 43 presidents and everyone ever nominated for this office by the Republican and Democratic parties have been white men.

Moseley-Braun, the only African-American woman ever elected to the Senate, narrowly lost her first re-election bid in 1998 after a term marred by ethics controversies. Now, against seemingly insurmountable odds, she has entered the race to be the Democrats' presidential candidate.

"Now is the time for inclusion and equality and real democracy, and for an America that reaches for all the talent available," Moseley-Braun said Friday in a speech in Washington to the Democratic National Committee.

She deserves to be taken seriously for at least three reasons:
* Among the current crop of Democratic contenders, Moseley-Braun has more national legislative experience than three of her seven announced competitors for the Democratic nomination: former Vermont governor Howard Dean, North Carolina Sen. John Edwards and activist Al Sharpton.
* It's a good bet that she'll command a big following among African-American voters, whose turnout will be key to the success of the party's eventual nominee.
* It's time for the United States to be as democratic in its deeds as it is in its words.

Race always has mattered in presidential elections. So, not surprisingly, most political insiders and media analysts are treating Moseley-Braun and Sharpton, the only black male in the race, as also-rans even before the first Democratic primary vote is held. Although Sharpton has yet to win a political race or demonstrate the ability to garner the support of many white voters, Moseley-Braun has done both — a success that pundits and Democratic leaders shouldn't take lightly.

None of this is meant to suggest that Moseley-Braun will be the first to break through the glass ceiling that has kept this nation's presidential election a males-only affair. However, it does mean that she should be given a real chance to crack this barrier — which is to say that she should be judged on her ideas, not her gender.

"I am a fiscal hawk and a peace dove," Moseley-Braun said when I asked how her views differ from those of President Bush. "War with Iraq will not solve our domestic-security needs, will not defeat terrorism and will not dry up the sources from which terrorism flows," she said. "And the tax cut, without regard to the cost of this war, is going to give us a $300 billion budget deficit. I think it's outrageous to give tax relief today that we're going to ask our grandchildren to pay for."

To beat Bush, Democrats need a candidate who can draw a clear and compelling distinction between the direction the Republican president has taken this country and their own thinking on foreign and domestic issues. All things being equal, Moseley-Braun's views on these issues ought to excite a lot of Democrats.

"I believe that Americans are prepared to go outside the box and elect a person who is female and African-American, a person who does not fit the mold that we have resorted to for the last 200 years," Moseley-Braun told me.

But that possibility won't be put to the test until one of the country's major political parties ends its tradition of choosing only white men as presidential candidates.

DeWayne Wickham writes weekly for USA TODAY.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Exclamation

Monday, March 24, 2003

Dear Friend,

Last month, I made the decision to run for the Democratic Party nomination to give voice to the concerns of women, the aspirations of people of color, the hopes of progressive voters – and the outrage of all Americans who believe this country is headed down the wrong track.

Today, I am writing to ask for your support with a donation to my campaign. You can make a secure contribution by credit card, right now, by clicking here.

Here is where I stand:

* I strongly oppose the Administration's war with Iraq. They have broken our alliances and squandered our goodwill. War should be a last resort, not an obsession.

* I strongly oppose the Bush tax plan, which coddles the wealthy while forcing mean-spirited cuts in programs that are essential to the health and education of those in need.

* I strongly oppose the assault on our civil liberties. The Patriot Act gives the government unprecedented powers to monitor our daily lives and suspend our individual rights.

* I am outraged by Bush's cuts in education, his backward environmental policy, and his assault on Roe vs. Wade.

So I've raised my voice to speak truth to power.

As a prosecutor, state legislator and U.S. Senator, I fought for education, health policy and environmental reforms. I championed civil rights, reproductive freedom and ending the death penalty. I supported a balanced budget amendment. And I never backed down from a challenge.

Today I believe more firmly than ever that we must speak up – loud and clear.

I believe education is the key to our children's future, and I'll allocate the federal dollars necessary to rebuild and equip our schools and train our teachers.

I believe medical coverage should be universal, and I will fight to make sure no one in America is denied the health care they need.

I believe a foreign policy that protects American interests while advancing the global good is both possible and necessary.

I plan to mount a serious challenge to this President, and to challenge my fellow Democrats as well. But I'm absolutely counting on people like you to recognize the importance of my bid for the presidency and to support me with your personal contribution.

I need your help. By contributing today at www.carolforpresident.com/contribute.phtml, you will help me speak, right now, for all those whose voices have not been heard.

Your credit card contribution will immediately help us reach out to voters just like you. If you prefer to make your contribution by check, you may also go to www.carolforpresident.com and download a contribution form to mail.

Please join me in giving voice to reason. Make a contribution today. Let your voice be heard.

Sincerely,

Carol Moseley Braun

P.S. An important FEC deadline is just days away. If you can do so, please make your contribution online today at www.carolforpresident.com!

To contact the campaign: contact@carolforpresident.com

Paid for by Carol Moseley Braun for President.
Contributions to Carol Moseley Braun for President are not tax deductible