GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 928
0 members and 928 guests
No Members online

Old 04-01-2012, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a Sophomore?

Hey guys, I'm a freshman now at the University of South Carolina. I didn't rush a sorority this year because I was afraid of not being able to handle that and school work, plus I was afraid that it wasn't right for me. Now I regret that and I really wish I had rushed this year, since I didn't, I've decided to rush in the fall as a sophomore. I was wondering if that will hurt my chances of getting a bid or if it makes a difference at all? Also, any advice for rushing would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by carolinagirl15; 04-03-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Before you post anything else, read this thread, and EVERY thread mentioned therein:
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ight=sophomore

Also, remove some of your identifying info (GPA, school and other organizations).

Good luck
Old 04-02-2012, 07:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Rush is harder on sophomores, but it can be done and you seem to have a couple elements that would make you a good candidate (I of course don't know you so don't take that as any sort of endorsement). Do everything you need to do to prepare (like reading the above links and everything else about U South Carolina and SEC rush) and then remember there is a colony expansion happening at your school next year. Those colonies are HIGHLY competitive, but they will probably want an approximately equal number of freshman and sophomores (they want all 4 years, but realistically I don't think they take as many juniors and seniors) and the total number of girls they will be looking at pledging will probably be in excess of 200-300 girls. Nobody knows, so don't ask how many it will actually be, or how many freshmen, sophomores, etc. Even the sorority won't know that until they start interviewing the girls.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl15 View Post
I was wondering if that will hurt my chances of getting a bid or if it makes a difference at all? Also, any advice for rushing would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence95 View Post
I was wondering if that will hurt my chances of getting a bid or if it makes a difference at all? Also, any advice for rushing would be greatly appreciated.
LAME

Old 04-04-2012, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

good eye k_s! I am not that quick.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Carolinagirl/Florence95

Being a sophomore won't hurt your chances as much as your lack of campus activites. Chapters have a sophomore quota. That does not mean they have to take X number of sophomores. I would try to get involved on campus. Do you know anyone who is Greek at S. Carolina? If so, talk to them in this last month of school. Be sure to ask about time commitment, costs, etc. Also, make sure you have Recs for every chapter including the AGD colony. When you come back in the fall, your Pi Chi will be an invaluable resource. My daughter is a sophomore and is in a sorority there. Good Luck to you no matter what name/names you go by.