Members: 326,141
Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,233
2 members and 1,231 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 07-16-2005, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Russian & East Euro. Studies/Latin American & Caribb. Studies Majors?

I put down both since I'm dual majoring those two. Are there any GC'ers that have majored in either? What have you enjoyed about either? What do you plan on doing after undergrad (or, if you are concentrating on either in graduate school, what do you plan on doing later on in life?) Hopefully I'll start grad school in January, but this time it'll be International Affairs with a focus on Human Rights. I'm also interested in International Law.
Any thoughts/opinions/suggestions?
Old 07-16-2005, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I studied Russian for 2 years in college, but that was it. It was not enough time to learn anything useful at all.

ETA: I wish I'd studied Spanish instead.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Oooh! I studied Czech for two years and I plan on minoring in Slavic Languages and Literature.

I took intensive first year Czech last summer mainly because I wanted to go to Prague for the three week trip that followed. Turned out to be a great experience, although I'm not sure how useful! What do you plan on doing with your degree?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:25 AM
GreekChat Member

After undergrad I'm going to study International Affairs with a focus on human rights. I recently heard about a program one of my sisters is doing in Costa Rica through the U.N. where she is studying International Law. That is something I would definitely be interested in. Somewhere down the line I wouldn't mind being the ambassador to a Spanish-speaking country for Serbia and Montenegro. There are just so many options and I'm interested in so many things that it's hard to really FOCUS on something specific, you know?
Old 07-31-2005, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't major in either of those--but I have friends who did!

1. My friend who majored in Russian ended up spending a semester in Moscow. After college, she studied for a Master of Arts in Russian--which involved two summers of immersion, and a year working for an agency in Russia. Now she works for the government--but she can't tell us what she does, exactly.

2. Another friend did Caribbean Studies along with Urban Planning (the planning program had a special focus on international planning and development). She spent a year or a semester in Jamaica, and now she works for an agency that focuses on women's rights issues in developing nations.

So, it seems like there's a lot to do---even with just a B.A. (can't say that about too many fields!). Are you planning on going to graduate school right after undergrad?