GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,169
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,207
0 members and 1,207 guests
No Members online

Old 02-14-2012, 06:53 AM
GreekChat Member

University of southern California Sophomore rush

Hello all,
So last year as a freshman, I went through recruitment. However I ended up dropping on slideshow day (which was the fourth day) because of a personal issue that took me by complete surprise and I pretty much lost it. I was wondering if re-rushing as a sophomore is even going to be possible for me. Do sophomores get bids? Does it make a difference that I have rushed before? Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of getting a bid somewhere?

Thank you guys for being honest. I am pretty regretful that I ended up not finishing recruitment, and although I've had fun this semester and I think it was the right decision, I am wondering if I have a chance.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes sophomores can rush again. Your chances of getting a bid the second time depends on what happened the first time. If you didn't do well during rush as a freshman, what will have changed the second time? You said you dropped out of rush because of a personal issue. If the process was going along fine prior to whatever happened, I don't see any reason why you couldn't succeed a second time. Of course, they will likely be more selective when it comes to sophomores, but they still do get offered membership. A couple things to keep in mind... they aren't kidding about the grades, and the sophomore grade requirement may be higher than it is for freshmen. You have likely made friends with some sorority women this year. Hopefully you haven't made too many enemies. Your reputation precedes you to a greater extent as a known commodity.

If you feel you weren't having a stellar rush last time, what can you do to help yourself out? Were you dressed right, had your hair and makeup done appropriately for the events, were prepared to participate in conversations and held up your part of the dialogue, had a positive attitude that you expressed to the women you met? And be open to EVERY sorority there, not just that certain 2 or 3.

As of just today it was announced that Alpha Gamma Delta will be going back to USC, which is great news, but I guess that won't be until 2013, so that doesn't really help you for the fall.

I think there are quite a few threads here about USC, including ones about upper classmen rushing. Read through those and hopefully some USC gals can chime in.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this is a little outdated but it is still a point of reference. Here is a link to the panhellenic chapter's gpa You can see that the lowest GPA is still a 3.25 and the average is 3.41. The closer you are to the average I think the better off you would be. I am not saying that if you don't have that GPA that you won't get a bid.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

It is a tough recruitment at USC as a sophomore. It would be easier if you were a spring admit. But the fact that you have friends in houses is definitely a plus.

Get the best recs that you can. Get the cutest picture of you that you can. Be flexible. In some houses the gpa is a huge consideration. In others, not as much. (I am not referring to a low gpa as ok with some houses. It isn't.) A very high gpa may help you in other houses.

Yes, the girls will "see" that you rushed before. There are some houses that may have a problem with that...some may not. You have friends in some houses: be open, honest with your friends and ask them directly what they suggest that may help you.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
It is a tough recruitment at USC as a sophomore. It would be easier if you were a spring admit. But the fact that you have friends in houses is definitely a plus.

Get the best recs that you can. Get the cutest picture of you that you can. Be flexible. In some houses the gpa is a huge consideration. In others, not as much. (I am not referring to a low gpa as ok with some houses. It isn't.) A very high gpa may help you in other houses.

Yes, the girls will "see" that you rushed before. There are some houses that may have a problem with that...some may not. You have friends in some houses: be open, honest with your friends and ask them directly what they suggest that may help you.
You can also mention it to your rec-writers. They may include a note saying that you were unable to finish due to a family emergency or whatever.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Speaking of recommendations, if there isn't anyone I know that could write me one, is there another way I can obtain them?

The reason I don't really have any adults to write me recommendations is because I am the first generation in my family to go to a school that even has a Greek system -- therefore most of my parents' friends and adults that I know did not go to a school that had a Greek system (even those coaches and teachers I had in high school that I was close with. It is pretty unfortunate).

I didn't really try to obtain recommendations (using alternative methods) last year because I was unfamiliar with the recruitment process and did not realize that they were pretty important, and I still got houses that I liked and had a successful rush until what happened. However, I know now that it does help.

I have gotten in touch with my hometown alumnae Panhellenic. But is it inappropriate to ask adults that my friends know that were in sororities if they would write me a recommendation as well if I sent in a resume? I do have several friends rushing with me next fall and they have places to get rec's, that is why I am asking.

Thanks everyone for all of this, I am getting a lot of good information.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

No, it's not inappropriate. Use all resources you can. If it's not someone you know well, offer to get together for coffee or whatever she would like to do, and then send a thank you afterwards. She will probably want to at least meet, and by doing so you will increase your chances of a thorough and more personal recommendation.

I think, and someone could correct me here, but on the first day of rush, you could make a small comment (without making a huge deal about it or going on and on) that you had to drop out because of a family issue and you were really disappointed and you hoped none of the sororities took it as something against them. And then move onto the weather or their philanthropy or whatever. You've said it, move on. Then if it IS discussed in MS, it can be discounted right away.

But the girls you know in the chapters are far and away your best support. Make sure the girls you know already know that you're going through and (again, not hanging crepe over it) why you dropped out the first time. And by the way, if any of them are doing an informal rush this spring (maybe too late now for that?) I would do what Ellebud said and see if you can't take advantage of that instead of waiting for the fall. You got to see all the houses in the fall and you know the chapters are all good, so if one has a spot for you now, I'd jump at it.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^pretty sure what ellebud meant by "spring admit" was someone who started at USC (this) Spring Semester, then went through recruitment in (the next) Fall Semester. Pretty sure she wasn't suggesting anything about "informal" or COB or spring recruitment at USC.

so, paging ellebud! you around? can you clarify? thanks!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 02-15-2012, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, point taken. That's not a scenario that even occurred to me.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

USC admits a number of students for spring semester. Some of these students come in as second semester freshmen because they have taken classes (at a cc for example). Some spring admits start as first semester freshman in spring. Only two chapters do COB. There is no formal spring recruitment.

It seems as if it is easier for these girls to go through recruitment because they haven't been "seen"before and/or they are freshmen. OPs has a real resource in friends who are in houses already.

AzTheta...How are thing? Miss you! Ellebud
Old 05-16-2012, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi again everyone!

Sorry for bringing this dead thread back up again, but I just had a question. I have just finished my freshman year at 'SC (yay!) and I have my grades now. As of right now, I have a GPA of 3.3.

In everyone's opinion, is this GPA acceptable? Could I still get a bid with this grade point average, coupled with recommendations & my extra curriculars?

Thanks so much!
Old 05-16-2012, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Remember to keep in mind my status as having rushed before sophomore.

Oh, and sorry again, another question:
I'm planning on asking my friends in sororities now (at University of WA, UC Boulder, Washington State U) for collegian recs (for Kappa Kappa Gamma, Tri-Delta, and other sororities that accept collegian recs) Opinions on this?

Thanks again!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Ask them who did their recs. If they were friends of yours, you may know their rec writers and just not realize it. Or maybe thaey cna introduce you to their rec writers or know someone who could do one for you.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

But, could the girls write one for me while they are still in college? I read somewhere that collegians can write recommendations for a chapter NOT at their own university.

Is this correct?

Thanks
Old 05-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesc View Post
Hi again everyone!

Sorry for bringing this dead thread back up again, but I just had a question. I have just finished my freshman year at 'SC (yay!) and I have my grades now. As of right now, I have a GPA of 3.3.

In everyone's opinion, is this GPA acceptable? Could I still get a bid with this grade point average, coupled with recommendations & my extra curriculars?

Thanks so much!
Congratulations on completing your first year. No one can tell you what your chances are. We don't know you and we're not sitting in on those membership selection discussions.

There was, however, a post that can provide some insight about where your GPA puts you in comparison to sorority standards at SC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
I know this is a little outdated but it is still a point of reference. Here is a link to the panhellenic chapter's gpa You can see that the lowest GPA is still a 3.25 and the average is 3.41. The closer you are to the average I think the better off you would be. I am not saying that if you don't have that GPA that you won't get a bid.