GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,213
0 members and 1,213 guests
No Members online

Old 06-27-2004, 06:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
Report Hazing

I have always wondered how do people report hazing, especially anonymous cuz you cant contact them for verification or for more information and the person who reported cant find out whats happening.... I was wondering why doesnt the school have like an undercover pledge or be able to randomly go to meetings and interview pledges or at least be able to contact those who dropped........... The school should have like an anonymous website where you can report hazing or problems and you could create an 'username' and be able to converse back and forth or something like that............ what does your school do?
Old 06-27-2004, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Someone else made this suggestion once, do a search and you'll find all the reasons why this is a crazy idea.

I don't know what kind of budget your school as but ours sure doesn't have one that can pay for an "undercover pledge".
Think about that, how the hell would it work? Greeks INVITE people to be members, they (well yeah, a few exceptions), don't let just anyone join.

Hazing is a problem at some school, but more and more it's getting cut down on.

But there are bigger problems for most school.

Why are you making all these threads that are deroggatory? Especially with rush coming up it's not very Greek-spirited.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Why not undercover pledges?

My guess: If schools wanted to send people undercover to observe this behavior, it incriminates them even more if it still occurs. Hence, they would be more liable if something did happen. (that's the most cynical view I can come up with).

Many of our national organizations, however, allow anonymous hazing reporting and take a very serious outlook on hazing. If caught, it is certain that anyone participating in the hazing is probably going to be booted.

I'm glad that this is a concern of yours. I understand you are the president of your organization. It's up to you to make sure that this doesn't happen in your chapter. Judging from your attitude about it, you'll probably do a great job.
'
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-27-2004, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Actually funny that you mention all of this. Apparently my school is in the process of hiring its first Greek advisor. And one of the few new advisors will be a hazing person. Pledges will be told that if they feel they were hazed, they can go talk to this advisor. And we've heard that one of the advisors will contact pledges and members who drop, and ask them why they are dropping.

KLTC
Old 06-27-2004, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

how hard is it to make up an 'anonymous' email address at yahoo or hotmail to tip off schools or national hq?
Old 06-27-2004, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Excluding the irresponsible GLO that wouldn't act unless there was a complaint/lawsuit (even though they knew what was going on), would a GLO act on an anonymous (...unverifiable?) complaint?
Old 06-28-2004, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

D-

I would think so...in greek life its all about risk management, im sure they would investigate it so that they dont get sued later down the road...
Old 06-28-2004, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

first of all, i think it is fair to start looking into an issue if you have concrete proof, not just "an anonymous tip". when i was in undergrad, relations between certain organizations were not too great and i could have totally seen members of certain organizations trying to get other organizations in trouble this way. that's just a thought though.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Pi Beta Phi has a hazing hotline.

I assume that, HQ would conduct it's own investigation on any report of hazing it received.

Maybe schools could set up their own hotline of sorts and conduct their own investigations of any hazing that was reported.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Hazing Hotlines etc

Quote:
Originally posted by Eclipse in another thread, elsewhere: Just like teachers have a responsiblity to report signs of abuse in their students professors should have the same responsibilty, even though these folks are supposed to be adults.

I've been reading a lot of posts on this and other websites and I think that more active involvement from the graduate members of the various organizations is the only think that is going to get close to making a difference. I'm talking about grown men/women with jobs and family showing up on the yard on a Friday afternoon, stopping by the cafeteria on a Wednesday afternoon, going to the parties, step shows, community service events and announcing to everyone in attendance that ABC organization is non-hazing, this is how to define hazing and here is a 1-800 number to report any concerns. Problem is, will alum members do that?
Bottom line is we are talking about a serious culture change--not only in these organizations, but in our country. There was a time that sexual harassment was the norm, not the exception, in major corporations. Secretaries expected to be chased around the desk and there wasn't a darn thing they could do about it. Through many major lawsuits, law changes and education things have gotten better, and unfortunately that may be what has to happen here.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
And we've heard that one of the advisors will contact pledges and members who drop, and ask them why they are dropping.
That's interesting, i wonder what other kinds of information the advisor will get from members who quit, like about the general atmosphere of the org...i can't imagine someone asking "Why did you leave?" and a member saying "Well, see this one night i got hazed and..." I've heard at other colleges hazing is such a hush-hush thing, particularly for sororities (it's just not part of the sorority system at my school), so i wonder if having someone directly ask about it will help or just push it further underground.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
Actually funny that you mention all of this. Apparently my school is in the process of hiring its first Greek advisor. And one of the few new advisors will be a hazing person. Pledges will be told that if they feel they were hazed, they can go talk to this advisor. And we've heard that one of the advisors will contact pledges and members who drop, and ask them why they are dropping.
I really don't think it's any of the advisor's damn business why someone depledges. It could be something personal that was hard enough to share with their would-be sisters or brothers (i.e. my dad lost his job and I'm broke, I'm pregnant, my parents are divorcing and I have to transfer etc) without being grilled by a Greek advisor. And this just sounds like one of those deals where even though there ISN'T hazing, it will be twisted to make it sound like it was.

Now if you have a chapter who every year has several people quit...look into what's going on. And I'm sure when groups report depledges, there's a space on the form to state why. But to subject everyone who quits to a one on one interview, when they are already hurting? That's BS.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:57 PM

Danielle, you are right, this suggestion was made previously. Golly, look by who! (whom?)

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ver#post637393

Starting two threads on the same topic is annoying and lame. Don't do it again.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
sorry, hehehe, but i had specific questions this time though. i cant even find on my own school sites how to report hazing.......and my university barely touches on the topic. just like dont do it, blah blah, and moves on to the next topic like fundraising guidelines. This is what it says on the school website, nothing about how to report or phone numbers, etc....too bad the new memebrs/pledges are not required to go to the hazing meetings before starting so they would be able to recognize what is hazing and get out faster or report it.
Hazing

Two areas where organizations have been held liable and been forced to pay large punitive settlements are injuries and deaths resulting from hazing. Hazing of organization members, new or active, alumni or prospective is against the law. Not only can an organization face a civil law suit from the victims of hazing but members involved in hazing can face criminal prosecution. The easiest way to minimize your organization's risk in regards to hazing claims is to eradicate all hazing from your organization's new member activities. (For more information on hazing, ways to eradicate hazing from your organization, and positive alternatives for new member activities, see the Student Activities brochure What Is Hazing?)
Old 06-29-2004, 06:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CSUSigEp
BabyP, you can always just talk to Moe. His office is 2nd floor in the Union, but I think he's resigning for next year...