GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,166
1 members and 1,165 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-26-2000, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Post curious

Hey yall..I have a very interesting question i want to know.My aunt and uncle who are both greek got into a heavy fuss about pledging at a HBCU and non-HBCU. My aunt said that there is a hugeee difference? My question to you is is there a difference? If so why? does it have to do with respect, paper or what?
Old 08-26-2000, 03:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I don't think that it has to do with being paper and what not....

It's more of a accessibility issue...I can say that Having been on both HBCU campuses and HWCUs...

It can be more competitive to get on at an HBCU...

But you may be able to do more "pledging" on a HWCU b/c many times Black Greeks are left to their own devices...HBCUs watch their greeks like hawks b/c they don't want them to tarnish the campuses image...as well, many professors are trying to get students to work toward a B.A, not towards letters...Sometimes a student may maintain High GPAs only to be down with XYZ org.

For instance at XYZ Black college the cut off for a line maybe 35...this may be a problem if you had 200 girls rush and 150 apply...how does one cut that number down to 35?

At XYZ "white" college...they may take whomever is really interested in order to keep the organization up and running (especially at a school that doesn't have a lot of BLACKS to begin with)...however, they are on the periphery of the campus b/c Blacks and their organizations are on the periphery of the campus...so whose watching them to make sure they follow "in-take" guidelines?

That's just the way I see it. I think that the methods are different, but the processes are still very much the same as they emphasize brother and sisterhood!

I am,

The Ice Cold Kreator
Old 08-26-2000, 08:52 PM
terrible tail

I must respectfully disagree with one of your points. I think it is actually a little more difficult at HCWU's. I am not speaking of the process because if people do what they are supposed to be doing than there shouldn't be much deviation. What I speak of is selection. At HWCU's there tends to be smaller pool of potential applicants which means that organizations have to be more selective in the individuals they choose. Because of this many BGLO's bring out lines that are small or go a few semesters without having intake at all.
Old 08-26-2000, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Having attended a PWI and become a Delta through that school, I can speak on this issue due to our school being geographically near 2 HBCUs.

My view is this, most PWIs do indeed have smaller populations of Black students and on most PWI campuses, not all of the Divine Nine is represented. On my campus there were just DELTAS and KAPPAS until I crossed then we got ALPHAS and later IOTAS. So imagine if you will the girls wanting to be GREEK but only having Delta as their choice. A lot of my friends on campus wanted to be AKA and now many of them are becoming AKA through alumnae chapter but there was one girl who went from wanting to be AKA to DST. Was it because we were readily there, sure but it might also be due to the fact that she was able to see sisterhood in action. Whereas at an HBCU whatever you want to be you can ATTEMPT to be it.

I truly believe that the major differences between a PWI versus a HBCU are:
1. PWI's have less Divine Nine representation, especially at a small private college like my alma mater

2. There are larger lines at HBCUs than PWIs

I believe that HBCUs have more leverage in selectivity whereas a small PWI has to work to keep numbers at a level to keep the chapter going. You all can be more selective than us and it not hurt you or your chapter or numbers than we can.

Other "trivial" differences at PWIs versus HBCUs is that HBCUs kick it and have great parties and have YARDS and have those cute plots or trash cans with their names on it and have WONDERFUL HOMECOMINGS with BATTLE OF THE BANDS and stuff

I believe that it does not matter WHERE you pledge just that you are true to the ideals of your organization. I chose a PWI because I believed it was BEST FOR ME just like I chose DELTA BECAUSE IT WAS THE BEST FOR ME AND 200,000 OTHERS AGREE WITH ME

Hope this adds to your understanding,
Carla

[This message has been edited by CrimsonTide4 (edited August 26, 2000).]
Old 09-05-2000, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

CRIMSON TIDE 4: I felt your sentiment Soror and could not have explained that one any better than what you did. As as student at a HWCU, I definitely sense a difference in parts of the "experience". Since they are more NPC's here, they pretty much let the NPHC members do whatever they want. They don't want to be bothered with us. When selecting a line, we tend to not be as "picky" as the HBCU down the street. However, we still don't take just any old thing. Your credentials must be in order,so that does make the applicants to choose from smaller. The bond of our now 10 members is just as strong as a line of 40 or 70.