Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 1,089
1 members and 1,088 guests
Xidelt

Old 05-03-2004, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Vector Marketing

I see flyers and booths all over my campus from this company. I know a girl in one of my student organizations who works for Vector, she likes it. According to what she told me, their jobs sound appealing. On the other hand, I've heard both bad and good things about Vector.

Has anyone worked for Vector or is currently working for them? Pros and cons working for them?

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?

Last edited by Dionysus; 05-03-2004 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
Step away from the Vector Marketing! Argh. I interviewed and got a job only to find out I would have to buy almost 200 bucks worth of merchandise, not to mention that in my area most people didn't make nearly what they were told they would. You'll sell (if I'm not mistaken) knives like how some people sell Pampered Chef or Avon. If that's your bag, then go for it.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by swissmiss04
Step away from the Vector Marketing! Argh. I interviewed and got a job only to find out I would have to buy almost 200 bucks worth of merchandise, not to mention that in my area most people didn't make nearly what they were told they would. You'll sell (if I'm not mistaken) knives like how some people sell Pampered Chef or Avon. If that's your bag, then go for it.
cosign! please! step away from the vector...they show up at college fairs and put their flyers in campus papers theyre a scam. the nyc headquarters (which i got sucked into for an "interview") was this makeshift office with foldable chairs, tables, and everything. the "ceo's" office was a closet with a desk in it.

theres more to the story, but point is, dont let them fool u. $15 an hour my @$$. theyl try to get u to buy the knives for $200.

Vector = cutco

*also, stay away from prepaid legal services. same concept, except youre selling monthly legal services to people. first, youhave to buy the service ans "startup" kit, which is a crappy manual and CD-ROM.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaGammaStar Send a message via Yahoo to DeltaGammaStar
I have to second what everyone is saying about Vector Marketing.

Yes, they are a complete marketing scam. Just like other scams, they have you come in for an interview and basically go through one of their sales to give you an idea of what you would be doing. They are pure commission sales, and pretty sleazy overall. They sponsor two days of unpaid traning and during that time ask for the names and numbers of people you could sell to and try to teach you the ways of selling "such a high quality product that we aren't allowed to advertise for it." Give me a freaking break.

You are forced to purchase $200 worth of Cutco knives just to get started, and it isn't even a full set. The more you sell, the more products you can get a hold of to demonstrate to your customers. It is a complete waste of your time and leaves you with a dirty feeling afterward.

Hope this helps...

- Colleen
Old 05-04-2004, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

ditto ditto double ditto on what everyone else has posted. my lil bro got caught up with them and finally after a month of me and my parents shoving reports in his face + him getting frustrated and hararassed by his manager at least 5 times a day(yes she would call 5 times a day), he quit. Not a good path to go down, trust me
Old 05-18-2004, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: On your nearest moniter waiting to be called a b*tch
A GREAT BIG CO-SIGN ON EVERY RESPONSE! VECTOR AND CUTCO ARE BOTH FULL OF CRAP. Don't even apply for their internship!

Imperial1
Old 05-18-2004, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto, ditto, ditto. I saw their ad in the paper and went for the interview. It looked shady right from the start -- they were in a VERY temporary office in a strip mall. Everything was folding and the entire office looked like it could be taken down within a few hours.
There was a group interview where they basically try to sell you on the idea of their products being all great. THEN they explain to you about how you have to buy the kit and are supposed to sell the knives and stuff to your family/friends/neighbors/whoever you can guilt trip into it. You have to find your own customers, they provide no help with that.
After the group interview they called each of us back for an individual interview. The interviewer was doing all this weird psychoanalyzing stuff; I remember he said something like: "I wish you would have spoken up a bit more during the group session, but I get the feeling that you're the type of person who wants to make sure your customers know everything about the product, is that right?" WTF? It was very strange but at that point I already knew things were shady. Then they invited me back for the second day, a day of "free job training" as they called it, acting like it was a huge privilege to be offered this opportunity. At that point I could tell everything was fishy and said, no thanks, I'm outta here.
I had meant to go back a few weeks later and see if the office was still there, but I got a REAL job and didn't have time.
STAY AWAY FROM VECTOR!!!
Old 06-02-2009, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
BUMP. Still a bad idea? The $15/hour sounds great (my current job only pays $9/hour ), but they didn't mention anything about the $200 start-up cost. They did say you needed a kit with the knives, but I was told it was free of charge.

What's up with this? Should I just keep the safe $9/hour job?
I had looked into this company, when I just graduated high school and was looking for a summer job. From what I remember from then, it was all about the consultations/appointments you set. Then you're paid based on that. You can correct me if my memory's a bit fuzzy.

I ended up working at a local camp that year. I felt like I would make more just based on my hourly pay, than pounding the pavement, setting up private "infomercials" trying to sell knives.

Plus, I'm just weird about being in random houses, centers, etc. especially since I'm in a big city.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
Still a bad idea?
Yes.

Desperate people who have beyond a high school education still have other alternatives.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Am I the only one who knows two different people who sold Cutco knives, liked it, and made a ton of money? lol
Old 06-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Am I the only one who knows two different people who sold Cutco knives, liked it, and made a ton of money? lol
As with every "sell this for us, make tons of money" opportunity, there's more to the story than the people you know tell you.

They work for every bit of that money.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
I know only one person who sold Cutco and she loved it. She was a marketing major, though, and the salesmanship involved was right up her alley. Also, she walked away from the job with a great set of knives.

I got a full Cutco set as a wedding gift and I absolutely love it. I've used them almost daily for years and have no complaints. I actually wish I knew someone who was currently selling so I could have a contact for extra pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
As with every "sell this for us, make tons of money" opportunity, there's more to the story than the people you know tell you.

They work for every bit of that money.
Sure they do - what's wrong with working for the money you earn? It's not like it's illegal.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

My hometown is about 15 miles away from Olean NY where Cutco/Vector is headquartered. Actually, my aunt lives about 5 houses down from the CEO (or owner I don't remember whether they're publicly traded or not) of the company. My dad's next door neighbor is one of their engineers (he actually designs a lot of the knives).

Needless to say, everyone in my hometown has some sort of set of Cutco knives in their house, and they truly are very very nice. The fun thing about having a design engineer next door was that my mom was able to get any type of knife she wanted, even if there wasn't currently a design for that function. She got a "Christmas ham scoring knife." That one probably didn't go into production.

Anyway that's beside the point. The door to door sales is something I tried to do once and failed miserably at. I give people a lot of credit if they can love it and make money at it. The worst thing, I think, about the way they sell their knives is that if your contact no longer sells, you have to go through the trouble of calling to find out who to contact if you want a specific knife.

We're lucky - since most everyone in my area knows at least one person that works for the company it's much easier to get our knives from them than it is elsewhere in the country. It's also much easier to work for Cutco in my hometown area versus here in Chicago or elsewhere just because you're so close to their headquarters and most people are absolutely willing to buy something when their sales rep comes around just because they know and trust the company. The Cutco sales rep is pretty welcome at any door in my hometown.

ETA: I guess my point is that people who work for Vector Marketing go through similar trials and tribulations as those who work for any other company that uses direct marketing and door to door sales. Not everyone is cut out for it, in fact, most people aren't, but if you like it and work very very hard (and I mean very very hard) you can make a lot of money at it. If you hate it, you're not going to work hard (because you hate it) and you're not going to be an effective sales rep to make a lot of money.

Last edited by agzg; 06-03-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
Sure they do - what's wrong with working for the money you earn? It's not like it's illegal.
The below post explains what the phrase "you work for every bit of that money" means.

Last edited by DrPhil; 06-03-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
...and work very very hard (and I mean very very hard) you can make a lot of money at it....
Exactly.

This is only for people who have no earthly alternatives and who would be content at a job where there are no "safety nets."