Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,484
1 members and 1,483 guests
Xidelt

Old 10-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Banned

Kerry insults Cheney's Daughter

So Kerry insults Cheney's daughter and draws someone into the debate politically.

Kerry refuses to apologize.

Edwards' wife further insults the Cheneys.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/14/po...rtner=homepage

Cheneys Criticize Kerry's Remarks on Daughter

By DAVID STOUT

Published: October 14, 2004

WASHINGTON, Oct. 14 - Senator John Kerry's remarks Wednesday night about the sexual orientation of Vice President Dick Cheney's daughter touched off a series of furious exchanges between the presidential campaigns today, with Mr. Cheney describing himself as ``a pretty angry father'' and questioning Mr. Kerry's character.

As both sides claimed victory after the third and final debate between President Bush and Mr. Kerry, attention was focused today on a relatively brief back-and-forth between Mr. Bush and Mr. Kerry that ended in an allusion to Mr. Cheney's daughter Mary, who is openly gay and is Mr. Cheney's campaign manager.

When the debate moderator, Bob Schieffer of CBS, asked the president whether he thought homosexuality was a matter of choice, Mr. Bush replied: ``You know, Bob, I don't know. I just don't know.'' Mr. Bush, who has said he believes in the sanctity of marriage between man and woman, went on to say that Americans should treat each other ``with tolerance and respect and dignity.''

For his part, Mr. Kerry said he too sees marriage as a union between man and woman. The senator, who unlike Mr. Bush does not support a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, went on to say, ``I think if you were to talk to Dick Cheney's daughter, who is a lesbian, she would tell you that she's being who she was, she's being who she was born as.''

The reaction was quick and heated, and it seemed unlikely to dissipate soon. Perhaps the most emotional reaction was from Mary Cheney's mother. ``I did have a chance to assess John Kerry once more,'' Lynne Cheney said at a post-debate rally in Coraopolis, Pa. ``And the only thing I could conclude is this is not a good man. This is not a good man. And of course, I am speaking as a mom and a pretty indignant mom. This is not a good man. What a cheap and tawdry political trick.''

Vice President Cheney was at the same rally and did not comment about his daughter, for whom he and his wife have often expressed love and respect. But he assailed Mr. Kerry today in a rally at Fort Myers, Fla.

``You saw a man who will say and do anything in order to get elected,'' Mr. Cheney said. ``And I am not speaking just as a father here, though I am a pretty angry father, but as a citizen.'' The vice president went on to describe the Massachusetts senator as too vacillating to be commander in chief and unwilling to support American troops at war.

Mr. Kerry issued a statement today in Las Vegas in which he showed no inclination to apologize. ``I love my daughters,'' he said. ``They love their daughter. I was trying to say something positive about the way strong families deal with this issue.''

President Bush, also campaigning in Las Vegas, did not mention Mr. Kerry's remarks about Ms. Cheney. Instead, he described his own record as one of ``lowering taxes, reforming education, providing prescription drugs to seniors, improving our homeland protections and waging aggressive war against the terrorists.''

In contrast, Mr. Bush went on, ``the senator's record is 20 years of out-of-the-mainstream votes, without many significant reforms or results.''

The mention of the sexual orientation of Ms. Cheney was the second on prime-time television in little more than a week. Mr. Kerry's running mate, Senator John Edwards, referred to it in what appeared to be a friendly exchange in his debate with Mr. Cheney on Oct. 5. Mr. Cheney did not react strongly then, and thanked Mr. Edwards ``for his kind words.''

At the rally Wednesday night, Mr. Cheney, speaking at the same rally, did not address Mr. Kerry's remarks, although he did say jokingly, ``I'm glad Lynne is on my side.'' Mr. Cheney went on to say he thought President Bush had done ``a whale of a job.''

The Bush-Cheney campaign echoed that assessment today, with Marc Racicot, the former Montana governor and campaign chairman, declaring that Mr. Bush had won ``because he spoke with clarity, conviction and compassion about the most important issues facing our country.''

But the Kerry-Edwards campaign offered an opposite view, putting out a series of statements by analysts who thought Mr. Kerry had done better. One was from the conservative commentator Pat Buchanan, not a political soul mate, who told MSNBC that Mr. Kerry had been ``very much on top of his game.''

But the routine analyses of the debates were obscured today by the reaction to the references to Ms. Cheney's sexuality. Senator Edward's wife, Elizabeth, said in an ABC radio interview that Mrs. Cheney had overreacted. ``I think that it indicates a certain degree of shame with respect to her daughter's sexual preferences,'' Mrs. Edwards said. ``It makes me really sad that that's Lynne's response.''

Matthew Dowd, spokesman for the Bush-Cheney campaign, said today in a CNN interview that Mr. Kerry's remarks were ``outrageous'' and offered a telling insight between the candidates.

Not so, a senior Democratic adviser shot back on CNN. The adviser, Howard Wolfson, said Republicans were simply trying to stir a tempest because there was nothing else to say about the debate in Tempe, Ariz., ``other than that their candidate lost.''

When Ms. Cheney's sexual orientation came up in the debate between the vice president and Senator Edwards, it seemed to be in a friendly context. Mr. Cheney reiterated his support for the idea that marriage should be regulated by the states, in contrast to President Bush's call for a federal constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.

``People ought to be free to choose any arrangement they want,'' Mr. Cheney said. `It's really no one else's business.''

After Mr. Edwards praised Mr. Cheney for having expressed pride in his daughter, the vice president said he appreciated ``the kind words.''

``You're welcome,'' Mr. Edwards said.

-Rudey

Last edited by Rudey; 10-15-2004 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Where are the limits? Mary is an adult, not like she is a young child. People make fun of Kerry's wife all the time but that seems to be ok. The Bush twins , Chelsea, and even Carter's daughter were brought in the political relm at one point. Carter, Clinton and Bush's (Neil not Jeb) brothers have been brought into it and they are not running for anything too. I do think minor children should be left alone. They can't come out to defend themselves. I can't see Cheney's daughter coming out and saying her father and Bush are right gay marriage should be banned.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
I don't think that Kerry insulted her at all. I think he was doing his best to point out that sexual orientation transcends political belief.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I think Mrs. Edwards' statement was out of line.

I think that children should be off limits. When Senator Kerry mentioned Dick Cheney's daughter, I cringed because I thought that it might become an issue. There was no reason to be that specific. I don't think that he insulted her, but he shouldn't have mentioned her.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
I'm amazed at how the genius John Kerry put his foot in his mouth.

I'm even more amazed at how the Bush campaign is brilliantly playing both sides of the gay issue. They're pandering to the religious right with a bogus proposal for a constitutional amendment, and now they're taking some of the wind of of Kerry's sail by insinuating that he has expolited a gay person. Absolutely brilliant. On top of all this, they are now promoting Kerry as an insensitive person.

I love it.

2 1/2 weeks, and a few hundred million dollars in TV ads to go.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Quote:
Originally posted by KappaKittyCat
I don't think that Kerry insulted her at all. I think he was doing his best to point out that sexual orientation transcends political belief.
Agreed. I didn't see it as an insult, but I can also understand how others would think so.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

never once did kerry insult her.

maybe it wasn't the best idea to bring her up, but he never uttered an insult.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cash78mere
never once did kerry insult her.

maybe it wasn't the best idea to bring her up, but he never uttered an insult.
Exactly.

I wonder if the Cheneys had the same response when Alan Keyes called their daughter a "shameless hedonist."

Taken from everyone's good friend Matt Drudge, in case someone thinks I got this from the "liberal media":
"Alan Keyes, the Republican candidate for a vacant U.S. Senate seat in Illinois, said Tuesday that Vice President Dick Cheney's daughter Mary is a "selfish hedonist" because she is a lesbian.
His comments came during an interview with SIRIUS satellite radio.
Keyes said: "The essence of ... family life remains procreation. If we embrace homosexuality as a proper basis for marriage, we are saying that it's possible to have a marriage state that in principal excludes procreation and is based simply on the premise of selfish hedonism."
Asked whether that meant Mary Cheney "is a selfish hedonist," Keyes said: "That goes by definition. Of course she is."

Last edited by Munchkin03; 10-14-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream

I think that children should be off limits. When Senator Kerry mentioned Dick Cheney's daughter, I cringed because I thought that it might become an issue. There was no reason to be that specific. I don't think that he insulted her, but he shouldn't have mentioned her.
I agree. While I doubt that Mary considered it an insult, the intent seemed cruel.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I didn't see the insult. It isn't like he outed her on National TV. . . .

Where was the cruelty?
Old 10-14-2004, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by James
I didn't see the insult. It isn't like he outed her on National TV. . . .

Where was the cruelty?
You're a riot, James!

It's like when you have kids - you can say, "Little Suzy's going to need a nose job when she's old enough," but if someone else says it, it's insulting and cruel.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Look, you can give Kerry the benefit of the doubt that he had no intention to insult anyone, and that he had no desire to hurt anyone's feelings, or invade anyone's privacy.

What he did was flat out stupid.

You just don't make the children of opponents an issue, unless the child is an axe murdered. He either knew about the potential backlash, or should have known. Either his advisors are terrible, or he is reluctant to listen to them.

This whole issue should be a non-issue, but it won't be. Just like that picture of Dukakis in the tank. Its not really relevant, but the Media has something interesting to report.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
You're a riot, James!

It's like when you have kids - you can say, "Little Suzy's going to need a nose job when she's old enough," but if someone else says it, it's insulting and cruel.
That nose job remark is cruel, but this is different.

I don't think that Kerry's comment was cruel. I just think he should not have used her as an example. If the Drudge Report is accurate, Keyes' comment was cruel and judgmental. I think that Mary Cheney is a private person who deserves a life free of public commentary and speculation especially since she seems to have chosen to stay out of the spotlight. I'm sensitive to this because growing up I knew a few children of elected officials.

I agree with Russ. It was stupid.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:24 PM
Banned

Some of you are just ridiculous.

The question isn't whether you were insulted. The Cheneys were insulted. Black face is insulting to some and not to others. At the end of the day, people have every right to feel insulted.

No matter how many times you say it's not insulting, it is to them. So keep saying it.

And to qualify it by bringing up other cases of people insulting others...wow. Come on.

And so what if people make fun of Kerry's wife. They make fun of Bush!!!! But this isn't about people. It's about Kerry insulting the Cheneys and his wife being stupid to say it more.

So really, it's great that some of you feel that it's not an insult, but next time if I call you all a bunch of morons with sh*t for brains, I'll let you know that it wasn't insulting.

-Rudey
Old 10-14-2004, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
That nose job remark is cruel, but this is different.

I don't think that Kerry's comment was cruel. I just think he should not have used her as an example. If the Drudge Report is accurate, Keyes' comment was cruel and judgmental. I think that Mary Cheney is a private person who deserves a life free of public commentary and speculation especially since she seems to have chosen to stay out of the spotlight. I'm sensitive to this because growing up I knew a few children of elected officials.

I agree with Russ. It was stupid.
Keyes got a ton of backlash. Keyes also has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, but it's funny how Keyes was brought up.

-Rudey