» Online Users: 1,338
1 members and 1,337 guests
IllyPolly

Old 12-22-2002, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
MIT ideas

Hello sisters,

I'm VP Membership for the Epsilon Gamma chapter, and want to know if you ladies have good ideas for pledging? I mean, they take tests, do one fundraiser, and the required stuff, but that's it. Any ideas for some good ways to make pledging fun?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2002, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Winterbloom
We make it a point to have meaningful rituals, and our favourite one is one that dates back to the founding of our chapter called the River Run, as we're right on the Susquehanna River. It takes place at sunrise, and right afterwards, we bring the littles back to the house and feed them breakfast--that's my specialty. We also reveal their secret bigs.

With a large chapter like Sigma Omega, the secret big process is a great one to get more sisters involved in the pledge process. Every pledge gets at least one secret big, more if it's a small pledge class, and grandbigs/family are given preference. They send their little gifts throughout the process and clues as to who they are. Mine kept sending me toys last spring--hula hoops, giant silver balls, bubbles--because I was really stressed out. She turned out to be one of my big's other littles, and a close friend. We have family letters for secret bigs/littles, and it brings the sisterhood closer together.

We do some stuff with Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia as well. They serenade our MITs, we go and do things with them--the spring barbeques are the best ever.

I'm not sure if it's required--see how well I've paid attention recently--but our MITs also do a Pledge Class Recital. It's closed, and only the MITs perform. It's the best time, honestly, and it lets the character of each girl show through, as well as her love for SAI and music.

That's about all I can think of that Sigma Omega does.

~Emma
Old 12-28-2002, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Okay, well here's what my chapter does for pledging:

--Big/lil week; we shower our lil sisters with presents all week, and it's revealed at the MIT induction at the end of the week

--informal MIT recital

--formal MIT recital

--Rose Ceremony

--weekly meetings/MIT tests

--MIT class fundraiser

But other than that...nothing. I think we could use some socials/sisterhood nights/something!! I'm open to suggestions.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to browneyedgal
We have sister socials once a month. It's basically a pot luck supper at one of the sister's homes...no activities are really planned for the evening, but we usually end up entertaining ourselves for a while We always have tons of fun!

I've planned a sister/pledge sleepover for the last night of rush. We are going to have a "sister makeover contest" and other little activities. I hope it turns out well...it will be a first for us!

We also do Habitat for Humanity with Phi Mu Alpha once a month...lots of fun and a great way to get to know one another...

What do you guys do??
~Steph

Last edited by browneyedgal; 12-29-2002 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:57 AM
GreekChat Member

mit ideas

During my MIT period we made a scrapbook as a class, picked a class song out of the songbook and had a pumpkin carving night ( I was an MIT during the fall). But I have heard of t-shirt night where they get together and make t-shirts and of an all-nighter for the test. Hope this helps
Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

My chapter does a MIT retreat every semester. We make a letters shirt, play games, watch a couple of movies, and (usually) go to a local beach early the next morning. The semester I pledged, we were too tired to go, so our VP Mem just drove us back to campus.
We also give window letters to MITs to put in their rooms. That's always fun to see my letters in a dorm room window!