GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,577
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,548
4 members and 1,544 guests
JayhawkAOII, John, Phrozen Sands

Old 08-29-2005, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to fifi225
Inactivity

I am a sad, sad little theta

This morning I sent a letter to my chapter president to read asking the chapter to grant me inactive status. I've felt awful all day. I just feel empty. Have any of you ladies had experiance with this?

A little bit of back story: I initiated into theta in PC '03 at the eta theta chapter at UCF. Since then I have taken three amazing little sisters (hi steph!) and have one beautiful and talented grandlittle. This past fall I was slated for the position of convention awards, something that I took to be a huge honor. Just the thought that my sisters had even considered me to make sure they were represented at convention means so much to me. I was so very proud.

In Feb. I broke my back in an auto accident and since then it's been all I could do to keep my head above water and keep going to classes. It's killing me to ask my chapter for inactivity, but I just can't keep up. I hate giving up my office too, it's something my sisters entrusted me with and I feel like I've let them down. It is my hope that I can reactivate in the spring (after back surgery in the winter...if I can...) if I can walk again.

Have any of you been through this (or something like it, or had a sister go medical and then come back)?any thoughts?
Old 08-29-2005, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't remember anyone ever going inactive due to medical reasons during my years of college, but I think that as soon as you are feeling up to it, you would be allowed to go active again.
It's very understandable that you need to focus on recovery and school right now. I think your chapter will be equally understanding.
Best wishes
Old 08-29-2005, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

My thoughts and prayers go out to you. Take care of yourself.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Please excuse me for crashing, but I had to go inactive for a year after critical surgery, and two other sisters did the same (one with Hodgkin's, the other with a heart attack).

Our sisters loved on us the entire time - we had notes on a weekly basis, calls even more frequently - you name it, they did it! We were all kept up to date with our chapter, and when we could stop in, were encouraged to do so.

Two of us came back after a year. Unfortunately, the third sister (whose heart attack was caused by primary pulmonary hypertension) passed away before she could return...

Fifi, you mention that you have several littles and a grandlittle - make sure that they keep you in the loop. If they don't get in touch with you, get in touch with them! That contact will mean EVERYTHING when it comes to returning to your chapter!

May you be blessed with a speedy and complete recovery!
Old 08-29-2005, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe your chapter would understand. First an foremost your health should come first and then school. I wouldnt even worry about coming back if i were you. If you are able to then fine, if not i wouldnt worry about it. You'll still be a Theta and granted alumnae status when you graduate.

I hope that you have a speedy recovery and are active again soon! I'm sure your chapter will miss you!
Old 08-29-2005, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

fifi225,

Firstly, and most importantly, I hope you have as speedy and easy recovery as is possible. Your health and recovery have to be your first priority, and your chapter will recognize this.

Secondly, be sure that you check the Theta Constitution and Bylaws for yourself regarding inactivity, etc. (They are posted online in the Thetas Online section at the Theta website.)

Unfortunately, sometimes chapter officers and even advisers aren't well-versed in inactivity procedures (because it's a very rare thing for most chapters). You want to take the initiative to make sure it's all handled properly, since it's your membership.

Feel free to PM me. Best of luck!
Jane
Old 08-29-2005, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Fifi-

Even if you go inactive due to your health issues, you will STILL be a Theta. We will still hold you close to our hearts. You concentrate on getting better!
Old 08-30-2005, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi Fifi,

Ditto what janerzz said. It is CRITICAL that you follow up with the chapter to make sure that your medical inactivity petition is processed and approved at HQ. Until you receive an official letter from KAO HQ stating you are inactive, your chapter can hold you responsible for dues & fees. If they try to collect this money from you through financial probation/termination, the burden falls on **YOU** (not the chapter for screwing up your papers!)

So push that paperwork every step of the way. Call the president, call the Advisory board chair, and make sure it gets signed & sent. I deal with this every day from the chapter side, and it kills me when a member has a medical problem like yours and there are issues with her membership because of a paperwork snafu.

Please PM me if you need any info or help. I'm glad to share my insights.

Now, on the more personal level, when I was a collegian, we granted a member of our chapter medical inactivity because she had a back injury. She spent the better part of a semester stuck in our auful "Medcenter". It was so sad, but was the best option for her. It made no sense for her to have to pay and then get in trouble for missing events! She came back the following year in much better health and good spirits, and her attachment to the chapter was still strong, in part because we made the effort to keep in touch. I hope your chapter will do the same with you.

Good luck!
-Kaokite
Old 09-22-2005, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you ladies for all your support. My inactivity went through without any problems, and while it saddens me to be "inactive" I am looking foward to rejoining my chapter with active status in the spring

You ladies make me so proud to be a theta, thank you for your advice and support.

YBM,
Constance
Old 09-22-2005, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Just always remember that it's Theta for a Lifetime. Even though you're inactive right now, you're a Theta through and through.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much for that, today, that's what I really needed to hear

On the up side, my big brother gave me a jersey today it's very nice lol.

"Katastrofi" is "catastrophy" in greek (i'm Greek by ethnicity) and "Fifi" is (obviously) my nick name...my big is so smart

So not only is the jersey a play on my last name which is horrendiously long (Katsafanas) but it's my nickname (Fifi) and a commentary on my bad luck (i'm a walking...ok..limping catastrophy).

Last edited by fifi225; 09-22-2005 at 08:58 PM.