GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,434
2 members and 1,432 guests
willTic, zaisabellaptrov

Old 10-16-2006, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ohdollface
How did you start getting involved in your chapter?

I went through spring recruitment last semester and I'm now a member of Kappa Delta. After this semester's fall recruitment I've realized that I'm no longer a "KD baby." I want to get more involved with my chapter. This past Friday I even dropped one of my clubs so i will have more time to do so.

The thing is... every chapter has a few members who are soft-spoken, fairly passive, and not in a clique--I'm that kind of member but I want to change that. Elections are coming up and I want to obtain a position. I talked to one of my sisters and she told me about how you definitely need a backbone, be agressive and prepare for girls to test you. I'm a bit intimidated because I've had no previous leadership skills and I'm not agressive like some of my sisters. I'm trying to figure out where I should start. I'm not sure if joining PC would be too big of a jump.

So please, if you can... share some advice, or share with me the first few positions you had in your chapter and your experiences. (please PM me if you feel the need to!) Thanks in advance!
Old 10-16-2006, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

We were a colony with around 10 active members. In holding elections, we had several positions to fill. I ran unopposed as the pledge trainer (Marshal).

In the next term, I ran for Lieutenant Commander (Veep, #2 man) (can't remember if I was unopposed or not). Over those 2 years, we got our membership up to about 35 and got our charter. I then served as treasurer for a year and no more after that (only had a semester left at the termination of that term).

After graduation, I helped found the Alumni Chapter by getting the original signatures, convincing everyone it was a good idea, etc. I served as its first recorder.

Right now I just donate money when it's asked for. I'll help out more with the alumni chapter and the house corp when I finish law school.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-16-2006, 06:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdollface View Post
I went through spring recruitment last semester and I'm now a member of Kappa Delta. After this semester's fall recruitment I've realized that I'm no longer a "KD baby." I want to get more involved with my chapter. This past Friday I even dropped one of my clubs so i will have more time to do so.

The thing is... every chapter has a few members who are soft-spoken, fairly passive, and not in a clique--I'm that kind of member but I want to change that. Elections are coming up and I want to obtain a position. I talked to one of my sisters and she told me about how you definitely need a backbone, be agressive and prepare for girls to test you. I'm a bit intimidated because I've had no previous leadership skills and I'm not agressive like some of my sisters. I'm trying to figure out where I should start. I'm not sure if joining PC would be too big of a jump.

So please, if you can... share some advice, or share with me the first few positions you had in your chapter and your experiences. (please PM me if you feel the need to!) Thanks in advance!
Perhaps you should try to get one of the more active appointed positions rather than run for council, particularly if you have no leadership experience. There are plenty of appointed positions within KD that have a lot of responsibility.

From your post, it seems like you just want A position, not any one in particular. I would certainly not recommend you run for council, then, unless there's a position or two that really interests you or that you would be talented at. If you haven't really been all that involved, I don't know that I would really jump right into trying to be on council. You'd also have a tough time getting slated/elected because no one has seen you take on any leadership roles yet.

You can also get more involved by showing up to more activities. Come to things that are non-mandatory. Volunteer to help with different projects, go to the pledge class meetings, etc.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I started out as alumni chair for a year, then served 2 years on the Executive Committee (one as secretary and one as president). I was like you in a way in that I wanted to feel things out before running for a chapter leadership position.

I'd say if you're unsure, start with a chair position or something similar. If you're going to run for a leadership seat, you should be 100% sure.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Every individual has something to contribute. We all have unique talents and abilities. I would suggest getting involved with a committee that can make use of your talents first.

For example, if you are talented in art, sign up for the publicity committee and design flyers. If you are involved in something you love, you will have fun and your talents will be noticed. Even offer to assist the chair of that committee in organizing.

Secondly, I agree with a previous poster in that you may want to approach the president (or whatever you call your chapter leader) about an appointed position that can utilize your talents. This can get you out there without the pressure of a popularity contest.

Sometimes you just have to step out on faith. Good Luck!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I'd start out with a chair or committee first, before an actual chapter office. You are new and in order to be elected to an office, people need to see you actually succeeding in a leadership role.

If you would like to get involved as a younger member, Panhellenic Council or Jr. Panhellenic are good places to start. I served on Judicial Board for Panhellenic the first semester after I was initiated.

My first office wasn't actually until last year when I was chairwoman of Honor Council (basically the head person who enforces chapter rules).

also, I agree with everyone else when they say don't drop other organizations. Other organizations provide just as many leadership opportunities as Kappa Delta can. Those might be good places to start in developing your leadership skills so you can be an officer in KD at some point.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-16-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

i agree with the ladies.think about applying for an appointed position such as scholarship chair., sisterhood, etc.this would let you work under an executive officer and you would better understand how the business side of your chapter works.

in zta, there are elected positions and those are the executive council-president, 3 vice presidents, sec., treasurer, historian, panhellenic rep, ritual-some chapters have one or more additional positions on ec.

positions like sisterhood, social, judicial, scholarship, philanthrophy, fundraising, fraternity ed.,t-shirts,alumnae-collegiate relations, etc. are on program council(pc).these are appointed positions, but the girls still need to submit an application or talk to the advisors about filling a position. you could check with your chapters president about how your chapter handles this.

i don't know what terms kappa delta uses, but i would guess that there are some offices that the chapter votes on and other positions that are appointed.

think about where you talents or interests lie. are you artistic? t-shirt chair or publicity might be for you. are you a great singer? how about serving as music/song chair?

good luck to you and please let us know what you decide to do!!
Old 10-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Lots of times, it depends on the size of the chapter, too. Some people get "lost" in a large chapter, while others are carrying an office AND a chairmanship in a small chapter!

One good way to get involved is to offer to help one of the chairman, if it's okay with the Executive Committee (or whatever it's called). By doing so, you will learn a little bit more about KD, AND be sending the message that you really are willing to work. What the other posters are saying is true - start with a chairmanship (or as an assistant), then work your way up. Most GLOs have some chairmanships which are more or less for first year members, so they can see who is a worker and who isn't.

My own first Chairmanship was for Recommendations, but after Recruitment, I was bored silly. Another sister had to drop out, and I was able to pick up her Spirit Chair. The next year, I was Chaplain; the year after that, New Member Vice President.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2006, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Go for a small appointed position and come around to more non-mandatory events. Keep a dayplanner so you can prioritize.

And for the love of Pete, don't drop all your clubs for your sorority. You need those EC's and leadership positions-- get involved on campus. It will improve your resume when you go for internships, grad school, and entry level jobs. The sorority is a fun activity in college and a nice social network when you graduate, but employers/admissions committees are going to be more interested that you planned a 5K Run and Fundraiser for Key Club than your sorority.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

My thoughts -

1. Don't drop other organizations. Experience in all types of clubs and activities is very important after graduating. Remember that.

2. If this is your first semester after initiation, get on a committee or two within the chapter. I wouldn't suggest going for officer positions until you are very well versed in how the chapter/sorority operates at every level. It is often more complex than you think, and a LOT of responsibility. Some positions require you to attend conferences/conventions, or even have your name attached to bank accounts.

3. Don't view sisters as "cliques". Get out of that mind set. There are many parts to a family, and just because some have something in common with a few others, doesn't mean that you cannot, and likewise, that you cannot have something more in common with other sisters. I am sure that there are sisters who have similar interests as you.

I hope that helps.

Sisterly,

Old 10-16-2006, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GVSU_SigPi_Gea
I took a different approach to leadership within my chapter. I started out as a chairman for various committees, but rather than running for an executive board position within my chapter, i became involved with the IFC body. To me, id rather put myself in a position of leadership over the entire community, to ensure both growth for the fraternity system.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ohdollface
Thanks for your responses everyone!

To clear up a few things:

1) I found it neccessary to drop my other club because it was was overwhelming. Outside of K∆ and the club I recently dropped... I am a double major, recently became the treasurer of a new organization, and I will be running track as soon as I finish rehab. So I felt like i was running around too much and i want to show more commitment to the organizations I care most about.

2) My chapter is fairly small compared to larger schools I guess. A little under 50 girls. However, it is the largest sorority on my campus.

3) My current appointed positions are Public Relations Committee and Guard. I love PR committee but I feel like I'm not doing enough. Although I said I'm considering PC, I'm also thinking about becoming VP of Public Relations... i dunno if I should run for that either even though I was on the committee.

I hope the responses keep coming!

Last edited by ohdollface; 10-16-2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:35 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdollface View Post

The First committee chair that I did was being IFC rep for a couple of years which include my being Vice- President of that organization for one year. The Best One I did was being Philanthropy Chairman.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 10-16-2006, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Since your chapter is smaller, it's probably easy for you to contact whoever held a position previously. So why not ask those members how much effort they put into it / how much time it took? If you're double-majoring, this is definitely something to take into account.

You mentioned you'll be running track shortly.. do you think you can balance a KD leadership position, as well as everything else you've taken on? You already are treasurer for one group...maybe consider waiting till that term is over, and then run for the KD position.

There's nothing wrong with dropping memberships to other groups - sounds like you already have interests other than KD.

Personally speaking, I chose to be active in other clubs/organizations, but focused my leadership skills in KD.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I highly recommend contacting the previous holder of the position. In my chapter the word of that person could hold a lot of weight and if they're on the slating committee (however KD does this) they can affect that as well.

I got involved as webmaster because I was the only one who could do it. And then I stayed there because no one else could, so I got stuck and didn't move up the ladder. If this year you can get an appointed position (assistant to _____) you may be able to move up into that position next year, and you'll have experience already.